MPG jump

exploreNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
[first post!]

My totally stock '99 explorer sport SOHC was getting about 14 mpg combined city and highway a few weeks ago. I found that one of my front tires was losing air at an alarming rate (44 psi and then three days later down under 30 psi.) I was also doing most of my driving with the windows open and no AC on.

After refilling the tire every few days i finally got around to fixing it. Just filled the tire with some of that tire-sealing gunk. Lately I've been doing mostly city driving (the only "highway" I've been on is Rt. 1 which in central jersey has more traffic lights than most towns.)

I've tried to modify my driving habits to optimize my mileage (no jackrabbit starts, not accelerating to red lights, etc.) and have seen my mileage jump to 19.5 mpg! :D

I still have on my factory running boards and bug deflector. I'm trying to figure out if taking these off might push me up another couple mpg?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exploreNJ;1963806I said:
still have on my factory running boards and bug deflector. I'm trying to figure out if taking these off might push me up another couple mpg?

The bug deflector definitely cost you mileage; I have tested them.

I have the running boards on my '99 and get pretty good mileage. It might help to remove them but I just like them on the truck.

Good luck ....

The bug deflector definitely cost you mileage; I have tested them.

I have the running boards on my '99 and get pretty good mileage. It might help to remove them but I just like them on the truck.

Good luck ....

Not sure about the bug deflector but the running boards do add significant weight. I took mine off and my mileage didn't really change any. HEY aldive likes them on, and i like them off, no mileage change will occur.

Good on ya to drive better, thats how you get better mileage:D

There is more to mileage than weight, eg, drag.

One of these days I shall pull off my running bards and do a little road test.

Get a tune up and a few other thing. I got a 99 sport but with the ohv i get 23-27 mpg over a tank with a mix of city and hwy maybe more idk it's me and my gf driving so 2 different driving habits .

As you've found, tire pressure has an substantial impact on fuel economy. In my experience, just being low 3 or 4 pounds can cost a mile per gallon. While it might help, you're not likely to get similarly impressive results by removing your running boards. I average in the mid 19s with my combined city/highway driving which, while not awe-inspiring, is pretty darn good for the 1st gen Explorer I drive – and I have a brush guard on the front. Removing the bug deflector might be more beneficial as it does more to disrupt what little drag coefficient you have.

Thanks all! I plan on taking off the bug deflector (the amount of bugs splattered on my windshield must mean it's not really helping anyways.) For now I'm keeping the running boards. They're driver's side one is pretty rusted and nasty, but when people have to climb around the front seats to get to the back (it's a 2 door) they help a lot.

Also-

How much does a decent tune up cost?

And is there an easy way to see if my alignment is off without actually going to the shop and paying to have them aligned? I'm getting a shake in the steering wheel at around 55mph, but I'm thinking it may have something do do with the gunk i put in the front driver's tire.

I'll yank the deflector and see how it does!

There is more to mileage than weight, eg, drag.

One of these days I shall pull off my running bards and do a little road test.

aldive my mileage didn't change a bit when i took my running boards off, so i assume your mileage won't change.

How much do those OEM running boards weigh?

Welcome to this forum! I'm familiar with Route 1. You accelerate to keep up with the traffic, then you have long yellow lights. As soon as you think you will make the light it will change to red. Don't try to save any gas driving there. My transmission, and water pump gasket blew out 6months ago on Route 1 within 10 minutes of each other with my wife, and son with me! I haven't been there since then.

I was going to report that I jumped form 15 to 19 MPG by changing my driving habits...from 240 to 300+ on a tank. I am shocked. SHOCKED I was driving so inefficiently. WOO HOOO

My right front tire used to have a slow leak and it would cost me significantly. Tire pressure is the most important thing you can keep up on in terms of fuel economy.

another thing that helps with milage as well as horse power is a cold air intake. look into it. :)

Aldive is the Mileage Monster on this forum. Search "Quest" read through the thread (or just skim to the good parts ie. his results) and pick out the mileage mods you want. Al has given his opinion on everything that any of us have even thought of trying. These are not the most fuel efecient vehicals but you can get them mutch better. If you want a fuel efecient SUV buy a RAV4 my wife loves hers.

Thanks all! I plan on taking off the bug deflector (the amount of bugs splattered on my windshield must mean it's not really helping anyways.)
Those are not just for bugs, but also help with rocks. I have had two windshield
rock chip repairs already in just over a year (no bug deflector). They cost me $50 each time since State Farm no longer does those free. We have a "covered load" law here but most are caused by small pebbles caught in someones tire tread, then later thrown out.

[first post!]

My totally stock '99 explorer sport SOHC was getting about 14 mpg combined city and highway a few weeks ago. I found that one of my front tires was losing air at an alarming rate (44 psi and then three days later down under 30 psi.) I was also doing most of my driving with the windows open and no AC on.

After refilling the tire every few days i finally got around to fixing it. Just filled the tire with some of that tire-sealing gunk. Lately I've been doing mostly city driving (the only "highway" I've been on is Rt. 1 which in central jersey has more traffic lights than most towns.)

I've tried to modify my driving habits to optimize my mileage (no jackrabbit starts, not accelerating to red lights, etc.) and have seen my mileage jump to 19.5 mpg! :D

I still have on my factory running boards and bug deflector. I'm trying to figure out if taking these off might push me up another couple mpg?

I live right off Rte 1 in central NJ so I can feel your pain. So far the best I got out of my tank was 290 miles (Mixed city/hwy). It's difficult to get good mileage out here.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board.

another thing that helps with milage as well as horse power is a cold air intake. look into it. :)

For it to really make a difference, you need to do exhaust too. More airflow through out the total system. The more air that comes in, the more air that needs to exit. (I can't figure out how to make that sentence sound right, but you get what I mean)

Back