Mpg?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mpg??

random155

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 XLT
What are kind of MPG are you guys getting on your explorers? I have a 2007 6cyl eddie bauer. Im getting 12mpg, which i think is ridiculous... any suggestions on what could be causing thins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are you driving it and how are you driving it?

I have a 97 and I average 15-17. Seems to be steady around 17 now since replacing EGR sensor. I try to drive to where my RPM's dont rise above 2500.

Don't know my EXACT mpg but I'm figuring about 15 or so. Like wicsmith1997, I try to drive gentler and keep it 2000 RPMs or less. MPGs are heavily dependent on driving style, so I'd look at that since 12 is a bit ridiculous for an Ex. Should be hitting at least 15-16.

I have an '07 EB with the 4.6 V8 (and all the bells and whistles) and I get 17-19 consistently.
OR -- for comparison - my '02 EB has the 4.0 V6 and it averages about 1 mpg. better .

07 EB V8: 14-15 city/suburbia and 19-22 freeway

Random,
You probably have the 2" hitch,
...which means you have the factory tow package,
...which means (for a V6 model) you have the 3.73:1 axle ratio,
...which means you get worse gas mileage than the V8 models, or V6 models w/o tow package.

2009 EB 4.0, Standard Tow, Spectre Drop In Filter. I did notice a minor increase with the drop in.

Military Base- 9-11 MPG
City- 12-15 MPG
Highway- 24-31 MPG (31 MPG with cruise at 63 MPH then it kept bouncing between 29-30)

I am currently investigating possibly putting in a Non-Tune Required CAI from a 05-2010 V6 Mustang. MAF is the same and throttle body should line up fine. Any of you photoshop freaks possibly photoshoping a Mustang top down CAI over the Ex Motor would be awesome.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-2005-v6-cai.html

I have a 6 cylinder '06 with the tow package and average about 13.5 mpg's. Im struggling to pay for gas. Besides using synthetic oil does anyone have any tips to help me improve my fuel effeciency. Open to most suggestions but I can't spend more than 500 dollars on mods.

I have a 6 cylinder '06 with the tow package and average about 13.5 mpg's. Im struggling to pay for gas. Besides using synthetic oil does anyone have any tips to help me improve my fuel effeciency. Open to most suggestions but I can't spend more than 500 dollars on mods.

Possibly Underdrive Pulleys or an Electric Fan. Or X3 Tuner with Fuel Saver tune.

I have a 2006 v6 with the tow package and I am getting around 15MPG thats over 3 full tanks of gas and a combination of 30% city driving and 70% highway driving. I have been noticing that the MPG have been on a steady incline with the warmer weather coming around. the -20 to -30 degree (Celsius) days are in the past and well it plays a huge toll on MPGs. Also, instead of driving at 75mph on the highway try travelling at 60-65mph, the drag is much less and will improve MPG.

Keeping that 5-speed and the 3.73 gear in the V6 model was very stupid of Ford. I see no reason why the V6 couldn't use the same 6-speed the the V8 models got ('06-'10), and therefore keep the 3.55 gearing (like the V8s). Maybe they couldn't make enough 6-speeds to put them in all Explorers (?).

So many people get a used V6 Explorer, thinking they will save a lot of fuel versus a V8. They have no idea that they are geared for towing if it has the 2" hitch.

Keeping that 5-speed and the 3.73 gear in the V6 model was very stupid of Ford. I see no reason why the V6 couldn't use the same 6-speed the the V8 models got ('06-'10), and therefore keep the 3.55 gearing (like the V8s). Maybe they couldn't make enough 6-speeds to put them in all Explorers (?).

So many people get a used V6 Explorer, thinking they will save a lot of fuel versus a V8. They have no idea that they are geared for towing if it has the 2" hitch.

My '06 V6 has the smaller 1 1/4" factory receiver. Does that mean I have different gears?

I get 15-16 with my OHV 4.0L in my 2000 XLS. About what I expected.

Does getting a better air filter (i.e. K&N or similar) make much of a difference with this engine?

07 Mountaineer Premier, V8, 14 city, 20 highway.

For a comparison, over the weekend I drove to FL and back in a 2011 Escape rental, with the I-4 and FWD, and it got 26.5 mpg on the interstate.

I've got 06 Ex V8 with K&N intake and Gibson catback and get 11.5-12mpg in city during the winter. Summer I get 13.5-14.0 city with using SCT tune. I don't use the tuner during winter. This is 90% city & 10% hwy driving.

I did get average 19mpg last summer on a 2.5 hour trip averaging 70mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

07 XLT with the smaller receiver hitch, and I get consistently between 16 and 17 MPG with mostely local driving. I just recently performed a tune up (plugs, battery, air filter, fuel filter) as I have 70K miles, and was starting to loose gas millage.

Back