MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn I really hate to hear that. Showed great promise.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah I know :( . However I have to keep money in the bank and college in my sights.

you can always do an sas and a divorce t case later. it might even be cheaper.:)
good luch with the selling things :(

Yeah I know :( . However I have to keep money in the bank and college in my sights.

I hear you there, have a year and a half on my degree left, thus the reason mine is not a serious build yet. Just doing what I can with my summer income I can spare.

I still want a lower ratio in the back axle for towing, but that is going to be a while yet. Right now I have to replace my two front tires (Previous owner put right size tires in back and 1" to small ones in front) get an alignment, flush power steering fluid, get an oil change, and probably replace my radiator. Oh, and I probably need to replace the spark plugs too. Their year is almost up.

Not much. So far I have only sold the auto hubs. Dang I need to get those out today. Been swamped with work.

Damn sorry to hear you have to quite the project, I'm planning on doing a Auto 2WD to 4WD conversion in the future w/ my 91' I just picked up.

Well, I guess I'm back in the conversion business. Slowly this time. Nobody would pick up the transfer case and the front TTB was going to turn into scrap metal.

I hope people are still interested in this project. I am going to be buying some better hubs and a new manual shifter lever.

If anybody has any suggestions on the removing the transmission and replacing the output shaft, I would love to hear it.

I also still need a front and rear driveshaft and a replacement rear axle.

glad to hear it! I might be able to find another shifter, lol.

Nice to see people are still interested in this!

Thanks to Kris Guilbeaux, I have been able to find a low mileage 4x4 a4ld, the front and rear driveshafts, manual hubs, and the beauty rings for the hubs on my alloys. All for $175!! I still have to get a 3.73 rear end though. Sooo close.

Here is the updated parts list:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

--Front drive shaft -$25

--4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

Total Spent So Far = $445

Now I need to know how to put it all together. :D

No prob bud... you should consider the front and rear axles from that truck as well. That 4.10 limited slips front and rear, and that Front axle was the one I used to do my first 4x4 conversion. Its a little bit of EF history.. :D

He wanted $600 for both front and back!!

I really was only hoping to spend $250 tops for the axles and if I was able to get them I have no idea on where to dispose of the 3.73 in my garage.

I know he talked to me about it I spent 500 recently just getting my front set for 4.10 with a locker I think he would be willing to negotiate with you
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I really would like the 4.10 front end and rear not only because it is a deeper gearing but also because it is set up for the manual hubs already.

Well, I really would like the 4.10 front end and rear not only because it is a deeper gearing but also because it is set up for the manual hubs already.

Great deal! With a lower gearing you could get bigger tires!

Otherwise if you keep your current tire size with 4.10s just remember that gearing will limit your top speed on the highway, and suck gas big time. But you would have a lot more power too.

Personally I would want the 3.75s

I thought you already had the shifter linkage for the TC?

Getting close!

Great deal! With a lower gearing you could get bigger tires!

Otherwise if you keep your current tire size with 4.10s just remember that gearing will limit your top speed on the highway, and suck gas big time. But you would have a lot more power too.

Personally I would want the 3.75s

I thought you already had the shifter linkage for the TC?

Getting close!

I assume you mean 3.73's?

I sold the linkage. I've got a request into black91eb for a replacement though.

I assume you mean 3.73's?

I sold the linkage. I've got a request into black91eb for a replacement though.

I would prefer 3.75s over 4.10 if your keeping your current tire size

Back