MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'll stick with the 3.73's for right now. It's cheaper.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Oh BTW, Kris, will I need to replace my engine cross member?

yes. or just one of the drop brackets?

After they were removed the rear I-beam drop bracket must be changed out. On the 2wd it is on the inside of the engine cross member on the 4x4 it is on the outside.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/2wdto4wd.html

I guess this is what I am referring too. Kris wrote this how-to.

what dose the cross member look like?( is there room for the diff?) can you take a pic of yours?

It looks identical to the 4x4 version. I think its just the drop bracket that needs to be changed out.

Also what parts do I need to convert a auto hub axle to a manual?

the lockring sets I sent you along with the shifter and plate. Thats all you need.

the lockring sets I sent you along with the shifter and plate. Thats all you need.

Uhh, I accidentally sent those in the box with the shifter when I sold it. oops:help:

lol, well, no promises on the shifter, but I can get another set of those.

Hopefully I can pull those rings when I pull the manual hubs.

1 week to go before I can pick this stuff up. *sigh*

Ok, tomorrow is the big day. Here is the stuff I am picking up. Hope it all fits in my Ex!

-Front Driveshaft
-Rear Driveshaft
-A4LD 4x4 Tranny with 130K on the clock
-Beauty Rings for my alloys
-Manual Hubs
-Passenger Drop Bracket
-Driver Side Bump Stop

Well, I am totally stoked!! I picked up almost all those parts today including my pride and joy: a 4x4 A4LD transmission!! (Is it wrong to fall in love with something like that? :p: )

Now before anything is done to Red, that transmission is going to be rebuilt...by ME!! I don't want any chances of this thing falling apart on me on the trail.

Oh, and I doubt people want to see pics of a naked dirty tranny, so I'll spare you...for now. :D

This is also my third set of locking hubs I have had to clean. People really cake those things with grease.:wtf:

thats pretty cool. How soon till you put the stuff in you think?

Great!

I like pictures of naked dirty.. transmissions. Post em!

How heavy is the transmission? Were you able to transport it by yourself?

http://atsg.com/cart/products/A4LD-43-6.html

The tranny empty probably weighs in at 150#. Matt and I can each lift it on our own. I just dumped it in the back of the ex on a tarp. Unfortunately it tipped over on its side and got tranny fluid on the carpet. :(

thats pretty cool. How soon till you put the stuff in you think?

Probably not till December. I am going to rebuild the tranny first and I need a few tools as well. At the very latest maybe January

Probably not till December. I am going to rebuild the tranny first and I need a few tools as well. At the very latest maybe January

Cool. Not too far then. I haven't been to the yard recently, planning on it either tomorrow or thurs, so I will see about a shifter. I have a couple (well, 3 actually) locals wanting a bumper, so as soon as I do one of theirs, I'm going to go vendor on here. Should be soon.

Cool. Not too far then. I haven't been to the yard recently, planning on it either tomorrow or thurs, so I will see about a shifter. I have a couple (well, 3 actually) locals wanting a bumper, so as soon as I do one of theirs, I'm going to go vendor on here. Should be soon.

AWESOME!! Put me down for one. Hopefully I will have some time off to drive up there and pick it up.

...and for all you perverts out there, some nude tranny pics: ;)

IMAGE_091.jpg

IMAGE_092.jpg

IMAGE_093.jpg

IMAGE_094.jpg

I have it upended in one of the banana boxes I got from work. Protects the case and makes it easier to move around.

I plan on doing as a good a rebuild as I can following glaciers advice. I'll get the thing tanked, replace the bands, seals, frictions, and steels. Probably the overdrive planetary too due to the stronger, welded replacement. It'll probably take me a month to do this. Why you ask? Part time produce clerk is the answer ;).

Once done, I plan on running full synthetics, a secondary external filter, transmission temp gauge, and a large aftermarket tranny cooler for maximum life.

I'll be starting a new thread in the transmission forum once I start the rebuild, if anybody wants to follow along.

AWESOME!! Put me down for one. Hopefully I will have some time off to drive up there and pick it up.

...and for all you perverts out there, some nude tranny pics: ;)

IMAGE_091.jpg

IMAGE_092.jpg

IMAGE_093.jpg

IMAGE_094.jpg

I have it upended in one of the banana boxes I got from work. Protects the case and makes it easier to move around.

I plan on doing as a good a rebuild as I can following glaciers advice. I'll get the thing tanked, replace the bands, seals, frictions, and steels. Probably the overdrive planetary too due to the stronger, welded replacement. It'll probably take me a month to do this. Why you ask? Part time produce clerk is the answer ;).

Once done, I plan on running full synthetics, a secondary external filter, transmission temp gauge, and a large aftermarket tranny cooler for maximum life.

I'll be starting a new thread in the transmission forum once I start the rebuild, if anybody wants to follow along.

Pretty cool. I think I will follow that other, if for no other reason than to learn a little more about the innards of a auto. I don't do much with auto trans other than replace them with a manual :D though I will admit a properly built auto would be a good dual purpose rig.

Back