MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's been busy man. I wish I had progress, but I just finished high school on the same week I had to work four days and then my dad's birthday was Monday.

But it will get done. I need a better rig to support the transmission kinda like the engine stand glacier used, but I am already eating into this weeks paycheck. *sigh*

I am accepting donations however! :D ;)

I know how that one goes. Mine has been driven and thats about it.

just have to replace the drop bracket. The crossmember is the same

Oh BTW, Kris, will I need to replace my engine cross member?

Thanks! I picked up the drop bracket when I picked up the tranny and driveshafts.

To the top!

This week I will throw my 4x4 axle under the truck. I am missing the pieces to convert from the auto hubs to the manual hubs. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

I am seriously considering a M5OD swap instead of an auto trans. It would be a pain, but the trade offs I believe would be worth it. Better MPG, lower maintenance, and more control over the engine. 91eb or mike, I am waiting for you guys to talk me outta of it...:D

I am seriously considering a M5OD swap instead of an auto trans. It would be a pain, but the trade offs I believe would be worth it. Better MPG, lower maintenance, and more control over the engine. 91eb or mike, I am waiting for you guys to talk me outta of it...:D

Me? Talk you out of a swap from an anemic to a manual? Umm, not going to happen. I would swap in the 5 speed too. They are so much more fun to drive. I have had 4 dd's, and they all have had 5 speed sticks.

I am right now in the middle of removing my 2wd suspension. I picked up the lock nuts from 4wheelparts today fro $20. Quite a steal. :D

So far, I have got the passenger radius arm nut off the coil spring, shock, sway bar connection and am working on removing the caliper then the pivot arm bolt. That'll be it for tonight. Tomorrow, the other side.

Ok both 2wd arms are out from under the truck. A little heat and a lot of PB Blaster finally got those pivot bolts loose. Now my front end looks naked. :eek: I got so excited I started pulling the drop bracket that's needed to install the 4wd arms. Except I pulled the wrong one. :rolleyes: Fortunately it's easily fixed.

It looks like my shocks need some help...badly!! I guess that's another paycheck gone. :sigh:

Pics are forthcoming. Please be patient: :D

EDIT: Pics

Axles out!!
2wdto4wdConversion001.jpg

Workstation/Messy workbench
2wdto4wdConversion004.jpg

Naked front end
2wdto4wdConversion005.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup: good work!

Now I'm tempted to go up in the attic and dig out an out Pentium II Dell and set it up in the garage.

Wish I could help you, looks like fun work. Let us know if you encounter any problems.

Glad to see you were able to do the project in the garage too.

ya gerageuters (garage computers) are sweet! :)

ya gerageuters (garage computers) are sweet! :)

Thanks. I knew I kept those old things around for a reason. :D

Right now I am stuck on cutting out those rivets on the driver's side pivot bracket. There are 4 of them and they are real PAINS IN THE ASS!! I worked over an hour on one of them and I still have not got it out. Ford did their job too well.

BTW, its curious that Ford would make the passenger side drop bracket removable (when there is no real reason to remove it) and the driver's side permanent. (the one that needs to be changed out for the 4wd arm)?? :rolleyes:

Can you just cut it off? I have boughten grinder wheel attachments for a dremal before, they work well. They are only about 3 inches in diameter.

How about a punch and hammer?

Picked up a air chisel from HF tonight. I will try it out tomorrow on those pesky rivets. Fortunately, my friend, Chris, came over for about 30min and gave me hand putting holes in the rivets. I am so tired right now. :sigh: The 4th day will be make or break for this swap...

THE NEW BRACKET IS IN!!

It took about an hour with that air chisel to get the last remnants of the rivets out. It then took me 2 hours of wasted time to find out that nobody had (4) 1/2" x 20 Grade 8 hex nuts
. The bolts that came with the 4x4 bracket were 1/2" x 1 1/2" Grade 8 fine thread. I thought "Okay, simple. I'll just run to Lowe's and grab some." Boy, was I wrong! I went from Lowe's to Oreilly's to Home Depot (to find they don't even carry Grade 8 ANYTHING) and, finally, to Tractor Supply. TS didn't have the nut either, but their grade 8 hardware was very decently priced, so I went and grabbed 4 1/2" x 1 1/2" bolts and 4 1/2" x 13 hex nuts for $1.95. These worked perfectly and the new bracket is now a permanent fixture on my engine support. :D

Who's ready to see the new axle in??!!

Thats good to hear.

After all this is done you will feel like there is nothing else on the truck that you cannot take apart and fix!

Back