MTX Thunderform vs. JL Audio Stealthbox/Vantage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MTX Thunderform vs. JL Audio Stealthbox/Vantage

NoBoundaries

ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hey,

I am looking to add a rear enclosure and I was curious what the feeling was with these units. In other words, is JL Audio worth the extra cost?

If I went with JL, I'd go with the 10W3D4 woofer and 250/1 amp.

As for MTX, the Thunder6000 that it comes with and an MTX amp to compliment.

So, is there that much of a difference sound quality-wise? Is JL worth the extra expense or are you paying mostly for name?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think the W3 will fit in the JL box without modifications. I've got a W0 in a JL box now and it sounds good, although I'm somewhat dissapointed that it's not louder for the amout of money I spent. It can still make my mirrors shake and takes up no space, so I'm happy with it overall. I don't have any experience with the MTX so I can't help you there.

The big differance is the MTX is a molded plastic were the JL is fiberglass. The fiberglass is more labor intence to make making it cost more. The MTX sounds fine but the only problem I have had are with the larger Thunderforms which tend to vibrate quit a bit.

the JLW6 will fit in the stealthbox a lot easier. i dont think it needs any major modification. i think it's just the cut out diameter of the box isnt big enough. the W3 needs a deeper box.

a lot of people are happy with their MTX boxes. but a JL with a W6 will sound a lot better and hit harder.

Well, I was able to get a heck of a deal on an Q-Logic enclosure from Circuit City (floor model, $75). I picked up a Thunder6000 10" and a Thunder4202 amp.

My concern is that the amp is rated with a 200W Bridged 4 ohm at 12.5V and at 14.4V it is 280W Bridged. Question is, will this be sufficient for the 250W RMS speaker? Should I go for a more powerful amp with a better rating at 12.5V?

Thanks for the help!

that amp is plenty for that sub. MTX makes great amps. since the explorers electrical system runs between 14-15 volts, the 14.4 volt rating should be pretty accurate.
enjoy your new system.:)

I've had the MTX TForm for about 2 years now (mine is the original one w/ the 5000 series woofer). I kept my HU and factory changer, swapped out the door speakers for Boston RX drop ins and added a 4 x 50 amp for the door speakers and a 1 x 180 for the sub. It is totally stealth and sounds very good. I used the PAC converter to get line level for the amps and have been very happy with it. I listened to the JL and the MTX before deciding on the MTX. If you're going to do a lot of sound deadening and go with high end component speakers + new HU/changer, the JL will give you better sound, but unless you're upgrading everythign else to a very high level, the MTX will do a great job of filling in the bottom end and providing a bit of bump to the music.

I ran the rear RCA channels from the PAC to my sub amp and split the front RCA signal to the 4 channels on the mains amp. I adjusted the F to R balance on the door speakers by using the input sensitivity/gain on the amp. I then can use the HU fader control to increase/decrease the amount of bass in the mix. I bump it up a click or two when the sunroof is open.

Again, my goals were:
1. better sound
2. stealth
3. $1k budget

The only thing I still would like to do is dynamat the doors and rear cabin later this summer.

HTH

-twylie

edit: sorry, I didn't read the whole thread and realize you had picked up a box. I'll leave my post for archive in case anyone else wants to go the same route. You'll love having a real sub in the X!

Back