• Register Today It's free!

mufflers...

Big Red

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4WD
Hey guys I know there are a lot of threads out there on mufflers and each ones performance but I was hoping to ask your opinion. I have no problem with installing a muffler from the cat backwards but I don't know which one to get. I have a '91 V6...obviously, and I want to get a louder muffler. I spoke to a guy at a muffler shop today and he told me that the V6's don't really get any sound out of the flowmasters, magnaflows, or dynomax exhausts. I am not looking for a Ex. that wakes up the neigborhood and makes people plug their ears on the sidewalk. I just want something that is louder than stock and very noticeable at a stoplight. I deffinately don't want it to be deafening, just louder than anything stock. If you guys have any advice I would really appreciate it. What would get me performance, sound, and if I'm lucky better gas mileage.
Thanks in advance,
Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a flow-tech raptor flow turbo muffler. it is quiet at an idle but gives a nice bark when i get on it. i had a glass pack and i hated it. With the glass pack the drone and the sound of car alarms going off from the noise got anoying.

ive got the 40 series delta flow flowmaster muffler with the factory piping size.. i love it..sounds great at idle and going down the road, its not too loud

Thanks guys, I was wondering if you guys had any sound clips. Oh, and do you think that it was just bogus what this guy was saying or do the V6's just not perform well with aftermarket exhausts?

I have a Super 40 Flowie, your muffler guy is WRONG, you cna get some nice sound out of a v-6.

My vids are in the sig under my truck.

I got more if you wana hear em.

i run a 50 series suv flowmaster, sounds great1 its not to loud, deff louder than the stock, i set my brothers alarm off on his eclipse a few times! lol! it was nice! i run it from the cat back! im getting ready, after the tranny swap, im removing the cats, and runnin it strait pipe till my flowmaster! then on back! to a set of echo cannon exhaust tips, thats for a later time tho lol!
thought about the super 40, cause its super loud and i think it would sound great!

93Explorer4life. Do you have any sound clips, that would really help me out a lot.

A lot of ppl on the forum have said great things about the Gibson exhaust -- not loud at all but definitely a rumbling tone.

i cut all my cats off also so its straight pipe with the 40 series delta flow-love it

Here is our '92 with a flowmaster (I think 40)..

I have a high flow cat and then its 2.5" (might be 2.25.. its been a long time since I had the exhaust put in) pipe from the cat back to the muffler.. and then a short pipe that lets out just behind the passenger tire..

http://objectexpected.com/trip/2004/exhaust-up-hill-facing-away.wav

This is me going up a small hill (slowly.. while wheeling)

~Mark

If you're looking for sound, you probably want a Flowmaster. The Dynomax and Magnaflows tend to have a mellower tone, unless you intentionally use a smaller size muffler. Gibson is pretty good too, but really sounds different than a flowie.

The OHV V6 is insanely racecar loud with minimal muffling. Slap on a system that just uses a flowmaster Super 40 right after the cat and dumps out the side in front of the rear wheel and it should be plenty loud.

The thing is, like I said, I am not necessarily going for loud. I deffinately want louder than what I have, but I just want something that is noticeable and has some beef. I know I can't make it sound like a V8 but I just want it to have a much deeper tone and gain some loudness. I hope this helps you to understand what I am aiming at.
thnx for the reply

Just about any straight-through muffler will make the exhaust a bit louder and give it more "beef". I personally like the Dynomax kits best, since they are bolt-on, and you can use either a Super Turbo or Ultra Flo muffler depending on what you want. Ultra Flo is the straight-through kind.

The general concensus seems to be that Flowmaster gives the best sound for those who are concerned with it. Perhaps the best route to go would be a complete cat-back with a Flowmaster, which would be deeper and louder, but not obnoxious like a side exit. The sound clips in this thread should help you decide.

I have a Gibson and its not too loud, it isnt loud enough where i get pulled over but it is loud enough where my parents can hear me coming up the street and i can hear it idling in the winter when i let it warm up, sounds nice and deep from inside too.

OK, I think I have decided to do one of two mufflers. Either the Flowmaster SUV 50 series or to go with the Super 40 flowie. Any advice, sound, or experience on either of these would be appreciated.

I have the Super 40.

You can hear some sound clips of it in the My Truck link below.

As for my opinion, I love it! It makes my 6 sound like an 8. There is an annoying drone at highway speed though, but i got used to it!

And somehting to remember, my sound and opinions are based off of a 96' 4.0 with 2.5" tubing and no cats.

Good Luck

Back