Multiple suspension noises | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

I know and understand that the noise reported on this thread might be or is different than what I am going to explain here. There was a weird metallic or something that sounded metallic (like for example 2 metal handle snow scrapers hitting each other OR 2 wrench touching each other very gently). This rattle (very faint but can be heard without the radio on) would only occur on a very specific type of road. The road has to be eroded, then there should have been potholes but which has been filled unevenly, like there are NO holes but the filling is lumpy above the road level and lots of them.

So I decided I will use today since it is my off, to start driving early morning and figure this out. I did Not want to report this to the dealer and having them ripping my car apart in places that it does Not need to (yeah I am touchy with my vehicles).

So with this mission of finding those kind of roads, which I know existed on I-25, I started driving early in the morning. Ran the SR over all those areas, but not able to get the exact replication so continued driving. After about 140+ miles of driving, finally got to as stretch where I was able to replicate it. Pulled over at a scenic view point less than a mile away, opened all the doors and started tapping, hitting, shaking everything inside the car but NO MATCH with what I was hearing while driving.

Continued driving, took the next exist, came back to the same patch and same sound, pulled over again and started banging at everything. Finally, I think, just think might have found the culprit. The Center Console hand rest!!!. Everytime I hit that, it made a half metallic noise. So I was almost certain that those corroded/eroded roads were causing vibrations for it to rattle in those conditions.

So I drove back and forth with my hand on the arm rest, keeping it open on occasions etc. and I could Not replicate the exact noise so I drove back all the way home and could Not hear it until now. It took me about 300 miles and the associated gas money but I think, just think and hope that I might have identified my rattle. Not sure yet, requires more testing but I hope I did, will keep you all posted.

And after all the banging, opening closing it a zillion times, the center console does not even make that metallic rattle anymore, it is more of a plasticy noise now. So fingers crossed.

Quick update on this - This was Not the issue, I still have the noise, very faint and very rare. Even on the type of roads that I mentioned it occurs, it does Not occur all the time. Like the same patch of road near my house, it happens 1 out of 5 times. Have no idea what it is. I guess I will just have the radio on all the time and try to forget about it. I really don't want the dealer trying to replicate it by going over all the potholes and making matters worse.

Maybe it is just the seatbelt metal hooks that are all hanging in the second and third row.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front Suspension noise is almost cancelled or much less present when I installed Borla exhaust.

That's a good way of getting rid of the noise... peace of mind.

Got it back today, basically Ford still has no idea what the issue is, the tech said the sound is not as bad after replacing the left front strut. We are going to drive it for a while and go from there. The tech also checked all the subframe bolts all were installed properly. They also drove another ST on the lot and it had the same rattle.

I have not had time to test drive the 2021 ST but as soon as I can, I will report here. If 2021 has it, then that is clearly a normal sound, according to Ford.

Got it back today, basically Ford still has no idea what the issue is, the tech said the sound is not as bad after replacing the left front strut. We are going to drive it for a while and go from there. The tech also checked all the subframe bolts all were installed properly. They also drove another ST on the lot and it had the same rattle.

Several members reported in this forum that replacing the struts did Not solve the problem. Actually I don't recall seeing anyone actually getting it fixed except for the fact that they were able to get Ford to buy back the vehicle.

I wonder, is it possible to remove the sway bar, at least long enough to determine whether it's the source of the noise ?
I was changing my oil the other day and was poking around under the strut mount and sway bar. Sway bar was TIGHT, but that front lower control arm.....swiveled. WTH?? Yeah, it had play in it that I just don't remember being in ANY other vehicle I've ever worked on. Plus, it wasn't a typical "A" configuration or wishbone design, it was a solo part. It's that loose swivel action that worries me. It is only a very small amount of play that is causing this sound under the vehicle. May not ever be an issue until the bushing wears out, then it will rattle metal on metal down the road....

Anyone else have a 2020 and have all sorts of random suspension noises?

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

Everything was fine until about 1200 miles.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.
I took delivery of my new ST on 12/26/2020. It's been located at the service department of my local dealership more than it has been with me since I purchased it. They have acknowledged that there is indeed an issue, but have no fix for it. They have an identical 2020 ST on the lot that has the same issue. Once you hear what I'm talking about, it's not something you can unhear. I've seen this issue discussed by others, and I've seen it written that there is no fix. It sounds like something is loose under the car bouncing up and down, yet nothing can be identified. It sounds similar to saying bump, bump, bump, bump rapidly, and throwing a slight pause in the mix here and there. I feel certain there are others of you that have this going on, but just don't know it yet. I've also read that ford has bought back vehicles as a result of this issue. I would appreciate any insight offered. Thank you!

I took delivery of my new ST on 12/26/2020. It's been located at the service department of my local dealership more than it has been with me since I purchased it. They have acknowledged that there is indeed an issue, but have no fix for it. They have an identical 2020 ST on the lot that has the same issue. Once you hear what I'm talking about, it's not something you can unhear. I've seen this issue discussed by others, and I've seen it written that there is no fix. It sounds like something is loose under the car bouncing up and down, yet nothing can be identified. It sounds similar to saying bump, bump, bump, bump rapidly, and throwing a slight pause in the mix here and there. I feel certain there are others of you that have this going on, but just don't know it yet. I've also read that ford has bought back vehicles as a result of this issue. I would appreciate any insight offered. Thank you!
I am one of the guys who got rid of my 2020 ST . I had the same issues . After a year of fighting Ford with no results I got with the dealer and they agreed to take it back. I had a 2 year lease so after that first year it was gone !! Its has to be the WORST new car I have ever had. Ford just does not care, they want total sales and nothing else. GET RID OF IT AND MOVE ON.

Last edited by a moderator:

My ST is making multiple noises from the front suspension that sounds like something is loose when going over bumpy roads. There's also clicking sounds when you get on the brakes going downhill and come to a stop. On occasion it also makes a popping sound from the rear under heavy brake pressure.

Took it to my dealer and they said they hear multiple intermittent noises but they can't figure it out. They told me the car is so new I should just deal with it for another 3k until the first oil change.

I have to say I am more than displeased with the build quality of these things especially when they are in the 60k range. Ford needs to get their act together and vet these problems out before releasing a product to the public. Not suprised they 10k + explorers sitting at flat Rock awaiting repairs.
Omg do they ever need to rectify their mistakes with this new gen. I think they’ve gotten the hint and I’m hoping for a smooth refresh.

One member said he found that there was a cover near the fuel tank that was not fastened properly. Once it was fixed, the noise was gone.

Peter

One member said he found that there was a cover near the fuel tank that was not fastened properly. Once it was fixed, the noise was gone.

Peter
Peterk9, when my mechanic was trouble shooting my issues he found a heat shield near the mufflers that was not secured properly. Did not fix the noise !

same problem on mine. such a terrible car for $60k.....should of bought a Macan or 4 Runner

Ford Mgt IQ=Ford Stock Price
I have the noise when going over bumps 2020 explorer
Have you found out what is causing it???? So annoying
Good catch on the noise coming from the strut tower brace. Mine does it as well!! The noise comes from the silver tube closest to the wheel that comes in contact with the brace, so I put a piece of the fuzzy side of Velcro between the brace and tube. Now only if I could test it...just detailed the car and it’s raining. It will have to wait until Friday. Will keep everyone updated.
have you found what this noise is? I have it in my 2”20 explorer dealer can’t find anything
It is so annoying

I have the noise when going over bumps 2020 explorer
Have you found out what is causing it???? So annoying

have you found what this noise is? I have it in my 2”20 explorer dealer can’t find anything
It is so annoying
ford never found the problem on my 2020. I finally got ford to take it back. will never buy another ford product.

We had one in the shop yesterday with a bad rattle in the front. Turned out to be a bad sway bar link. Just something for thought.

ford never found the problem on my 2020. I finally got ford to take it back. will never buy another ford product.
How many times did you have to take it in
Did they agree to hearing the noise
Did you do the return through the dealer?
thanks

Did you have to take it in multiple times?
did you get them to take it back through the dealership? Thank you

Did you have to take it in multiple times?
did you get them to take it back through the dealership? Thank you
The link I provided should answer the second question.

Peter

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my ST 2021 in Mexico, and same comments from my dealer. A couple of engineers from the Ford’s plant came to make a diagnostic, however, they have not resolved the issue yet. Just to be clear, did you say, the noises completely disappear after 1200 miles? Or Ford finally identified and fixed the problem? Thanks in advance for your comments. Best,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
He said that the noises started at 1200 miles. Everything was fine up to then.

Peter

Back