Multiple suspension noises | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Jumping in here - Great analogy....or its like a lamp shade that is loose and you rattle it around when going over small bumps. I sure hope it isn't AWD related. What was interesting the other day while I was changing the oil, I gripped the lower front suspension/strut/a-arm...and it turns! WHAT!! It literally rotates some when the wheel is off the ground. Slop perhaps? I just don't see this as a good thing since it is used for guiding this vehicle. I wonder if this slight slop could be that dampened rattle? Sway bar was tight and it seems to ONLY be on the driver side.

Stay away from the Q-5 with the 2.0 turbo. I've heard of them blowing up at speed. On another note, I LOVE the ST motor. Had it at 125mph in the middle of Utah with it 100+ outside. It literally laughed at me to go faster.... I LOVE/HATE this thing.....
Same here...assume you were flying across the salt flats on I-80. I started thinking about tires at the 125 mark and backed, The next morning my 2016 Platinum had a flat front tire. Just living good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a short note to say good bye to the Forum. I have gotten rid of my 2020 ST , GOOD RIDDANCE !! My dealer bought out the remainder of my lease. They are shipping the car back to Ford with all the SUSPENSION/CHASSIS ISSUES AND THE DEVELOPING NEW ISSUES THAT HAVE STARTED TO APPEAR. YOU FOLKS TAKE CARE, STAY SAFE !!

As most of you know I turned my ST back into FORD. Bill Currie Ford of Tampa bought out my lease, which pleased me to no end. I feel I must give you a update on the latest development, it does not directly apply to me but its interesting. The general manager at BCF listened very attentively to all my concerns and issues with my ST. He was somewhat aware but not fully. I asked what the dealer planned to do with the vehicle. He did hesitate in saying they would ship the vehicle back to Ford......NOT !!! It is sitting on their used lot for sale . So now some unsuspecting person is going to buy this vehicle with all the know issues , that BCF acknowledged !! All defects/issues were identified on the paperwork that BCF filled out.
So what does this tell you of FOMOCOs mindset toward handling defective vehicles. I will not recommend BCF of Tampa to anyone, I will not recommend buying any vehicle from Ford.......THE TRUST IS GONE !!!!

Hi Bill. Any chance they may have worked on the suspension issue and others that it may have had?

Peter

Hi Bill. Any chance they may have worked on the suspension issue and others that it may have had?

Peter
Possible, but I doubt it. Turned the car in on Friday afternoon and car on lot tuesday !

Took my Platinum issues to my dealer again. I'm so tired of the rumbling rattle in the front end that I begged for a trade that I could swallow. I looked at the Limited, drove it, liked it, but...I know I would never be happy with the engine power, or lack thereof. The Limited did offer one advantage...I'd get some money back. The Platinum offer left me with an out of pocket expense of $6,400. Even so, I agreed, just to get rid of the car I was driving.

I took the Platinum off the lot, planning on giving it a good run. I didn't manage to get it home before returning it because it was making the same rattle! The dealer drove it, agreed that the rattle existed, and said he was taking it to the shop with orders to find the rattle before returning it. We'll see. Guess I just saved $6,400 but I'll have to keep this miserable piece of junk.

Took my Platinum issues to my dealer again. I'm so tired of the rumbling rattle in the front end that I begged for a trade that I could swallow. I looked at the Limited, drove it, liked it, but...I know I would never be happy with the engine power, or lack thereof. The Limited did offer one advantage...I'd get some money back. The Platinum offer left me with an out of pocket expense of $6,400. Even so, I agreed, just to get rid of the car I was driving.

I took the Platinum off the lot, planning on giving it a good run. I didn't manage to get it home before returning it because it was making the same rattle! The dealer drove it, agreed that the rattle existed, and said he was taking it to the shop with orders to find the rattle before returning it. We'll see. Guess I just saved $6,400 but I'll have to keep this miserable piece of junk.

DISGUSTING AND PATHETIC ON FORDS PART........

Our ST is in the dealership for the rattle, the tech has drove it three days in a row on the highway and around the parking lot, their first course of action is replacing a strut, should have it back tomorrow to verify.

Our ST is in the dealership for the rattle, the tech has drove it three days in a row on the highway and around the parking lot, their first course of action is replacing a strut, should have it back tomorrow to verify.
Ford has replaced many, many struts without success. Hope it works for you.

This suspension noise is mostly for the ST models or Platinum. It will be interesting to see if any of the 2021 models have this issue too. If they do, then it might just be normal to Ford. If I will have more time in the future, I might just as well test drive a 2021 model to see if it also has this big issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford has replaced many, many struts without success. Hope it works for you.
I am not expecting much after reading this thread, I would like to get some feedback from the guys that are lowered. Have any of you heard the rattle after lowering?

I know there are no off the shelf after market sway bar links yet but the sound reminds me of bad sway bar links.

I am not expecting much after reading this thread, I would like to get some feedback from the guys that are lowered. Have any of you heard the rattle after lowering?

I know there are no off the shelf after market sway bar links yet but the sound reminds me of bad sway bar links.
I wonder, is it possible to remove the sway bar, at least long enough to determine whether it's the source of the noise ?

I wonder, is it possible to remove the sway bar, at least long enough to determine whether it's the source of the noise ?
Unhooking it is easy enough, just some bolts. The next time I talk to the dealer I will ask if they drove it with the sway bar unhooked.

Unhooking it is easy enough, just some bolts. The next time I talk to the dealer I will ask if they drove it with the sway bar unhooked.
Thanks, I don't think I can get my dealer to play. I've driven them nuts for almost a year and they're getting to the point now where they just ignore me.

Thanks, I don't think I can get my dealer to play. I've driven them nuts for almost a year and they're getting to the point now where they just ignore me.
Which dealer here in AZ are you going to? I go to STF myself

I asked about the sway bar, the tech had already unhooked it and drove it around and the sound was still there.

Good job on that one, that eliminates three components.

Any chance this noise/rattle is the windshield wiper fluid reservoir? I can't get to it but I think its hidden behind the wheel liner. I had a car many years ago that had a rattle that sounded just like this and that was the issue. To me it sounds like plastic banging around.

Any chance this noise/rattle is the windshield wiper fluid reservoir? I can't get to it but I think its hidden behind the wheel liner. I had a car many years ago that had a rattle that sounded just like this and that was the issue. To me it sounds like plastic banging around.
The sound in my vehicle is a very deep, heavy sound. Worth looking though. Anything at this point after a year of putting up with the sound.

I know and understand that the noise reported on this thread might be or is different than what I am going to explain here. There was a weird metallic or something that sounded metallic (like for example 2 metal handle snow scrapers hitting each other OR 2 wrench touching each other very gently). This rattle (very faint but can be heard without the radio on) would only occur on a very specific type of road. The road has to be eroded, then there should have been potholes but which has been filled unevenly, like there are NO holes but the filling is lumpy above the road level and lots of them.

So I decided I will use today since it is my off, to start driving early morning and figure this out. I did Not want to report this to the dealer and having them ripping my car apart in places that it does Not need to (yeah I am touchy with my vehicles).

So with this mission of finding those kind of roads, which I know existed on I-25, I started driving early in the morning. Ran the SR over all those areas, but not able to get the exact replication so continued driving. After about 140+ miles of driving, finally got to as stretch where I was able to replicate it. Pulled over at a scenic view point less than a mile away, opened all the doors and started tapping, hitting, shaking everything inside the car but NO MATCH with what I was hearing while driving.

Continued driving, took the next exist, came back to the same patch and same sound, pulled over again and started banging at everything. Finally, I think, just think might have found the culprit. The Center Console hand rest!!!. Everytime I hit that, it made a half metallic noise. So I was almost certain that those corroded/eroded roads were causing vibrations for it to rattle in those conditions.

So I drove back and forth with my hand on the arm rest, keeping it open on occasions etc. and I could Not replicate the exact noise so I drove back all the way home and could Not hear it until now. It took me about 300 miles and the associated gas money but I think, just think and hope that I might have identified my rattle. Not sure yet, requires more testing but I hope I did, will keep you all posted.

And after all the banging, opening closing it a zillion times, the center console does not even make that metallic rattle anymore, it is more of a plasticy noise now. So fingers crossed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front Suspension noise is almost cancelled or much less present when I installed Borla exhaust.

Back