Must have mods 4.0 rebuild! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Must have mods 4.0 rebuild!

Cost of a complete engine rebuild....what should I not pay?

When she's all put together and I'm sitting in the monster.... I wanna hear THEM MUSIC! Here's my Choice......listen all the way through!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oECIKVaz5rc

what makes a man, is it the woman in his arms?
just cause she has big *******?
or is it the way, he fights every day?
No, it's probably the *******.

now you're a man, a man, man, man.
now you're a ma-man, a ma-ma-ma-ma-man
now you're a man, M-A-N man, man.
man, man, maan.
now you're a man.

lol i prefer to get country with it:D

or
(adult content)
http://youtu.be/16cWiWj--8E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like your tranny is stage 3 shift kitted with that kind of operation. It would be a fun truck to drive....:burnout:

What kind of gear shifter do you have?

Sounds like your tranny is stage 3 shift kitted with that kind of operation. It would be a fun truck to drive....:burnout:

u talking to me? I got 2 trans One 2wd auto thats in good shape and a 4x4 auto that slippin balls.

the shift kit is stage 3 but the bands and clutches are stage 2.still have the stock shifter.was planning on going to a 2.9 5 speed but after last couple trips im not going to in this truck.either a stage 3 or gm 700 is going in,both will be the b&m sport truck shifter

I would recommend you ditch the 4.56 and get 4.88-5.12! you need least 4.88 for 35s or your all ways have a dog.
motor wise a simple good build would be the 422 10:1 route.things to add on would be
Mellings high flow pump
bored with new stock first gen pistons
engine quest 95tm heads
422cam with right size pushrods
sealed power or ford replacement rockers
SI stainless steel one piece valves
988 dual valve springs with the heads milled to fit
ported lower manifold.nothing else you really need to waste ALOT of money on
bbk tb or the half shaft mod
Under drive crank pulley with overdrive on the alt ..many won't agree with this mod.i TOTALLY support it
Electric fan
high flow cat and good 2.25-2.5 exhaust

that has been used by many and provided some of the best results.i have built five versions of the ohv and that has been the best combo with out getting to retarded into it.other option is just a good stock rebuild with 410cam and high flow oil pump,won't gain anything but a improved stock motor.

Well as far as the 4.56 i agree 4.88-5.12 would be better but as i said its a DD as well and honestly its less of a dog with the 4.56 and 35s than it was with stock 3.73 and 235 75 tires. I also need some exhaust work done its plugging i think at the cats. anyway, the new gears will come later i am actually getting more and more talked into a SAS and gears would come at the same time but i just wanted an idea engine wise! So that being said say i took into consideration ALL THE ABOVE mentioned improvements while rebuilding the motor ballpark range what do you think the cost would be for the rebuild?

Well as far as the 4.56 i agree 4.88-5.12 would be better but as i said its a DD as well and honestly its less of a dog with the 4.56 and 35s than it was with stock 3.73 and 235 75 tires. I also need some exhaust work done its plugging i think at the cats. anyway, the new gears will come later i am actually getting more and more talked into a SAS and gears would come at the same time but i just wanted an idea engine wise! So that being said say i took into consideration ALL THE ABOVE mentioned improvements while rebuilding the motor ballpark range what do you think the cost would be for the rebuild?

to build one with everything listed i would say about $3000ish done and running,im sure there is alost more little things and machine work not on this list but the big things
heads and on sale right now $278
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27aca4d2da
COMPLETE rebuild kits that include everything you need run about $1200-1400
422 cam is $296
988 springs $59
SI valves part number,you have to call them
sev2027 and sev2028 $138 http://www.sivalves.com/onlinecatalog.html
pushrods from Smith brothers $120ish
rockers from advance auto $131
mellings m328 $148

Ok and would this give a significant increase of power or just barely anything?

Ye its about the most you can do to it with out going into crazy port work,bok tb and a udp .it will put you close to 200hp to the ground.its a complete performance build and won't sound like no v6!!;)

Really there is less info there than in here, except your a 2nd gen and a 5.0 swap would be much easier .

I was just saying there are some different ideas in there. And the 4.0 I want to build is not for my Ex, its for my old Ranger

There's a local shop where I live that is highly recommended for performance and price. They're backed up until late August :(

Gotta love Rodney.... he's from Tulsa, like I am.

Back on track here: If I ever had the $$$ I would do a supercharged 302 backed up to a 5 speed :D
Yea im very happy with my v6 but that's what i was wanting to build.I've never built up a v6 before so was looking to do something different .my next project is a ranger and im still torn between a simple 347 blown motor or something custom again like a stroked 4.3 twin turbo;)

Waste of money for the average person,unless build a racer.

This is wrong.flat tops with first gens gets you about 10.8-11:1 depending on head gaskets thickness .95tm heads with first gen pistons is the safe way to go,gets you to 9.8-10:1

agreed with most all.personally the 410 is not worth it unless just doing a stockish rebuild.

P+p is the MOST expensive mod you can do if you are paying someone.also the ohv does not benefit at all from higher rpms unless you go FI

we need more info on what your looking for and your price range....i can tell you how to drop 10-12grand in a heart beat!!;)
Tell me tell me tell me. . . I want the explodingest exploder that ever sploded

This is an 8 year old thread..............You may not get a response as soon as you were hoping :)

Back