My 1990 Aerostar has no fuel, spark or a check engine light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1990 Aerostar has no fuel, spark or a check engine light.

WildAlaskin

Reaction score
City, State
anchorage alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 aerostar
vehicle info
1990 4.0 automatic
new fuel pump
new fuel pump relay

ok so the engine cranks over fine there is no spark and no fuel. when key is on the pump does not turn on. i can turn the pump on manualy by jumpin the relay harness. while the fuel pump is being jumped i can crank the engine over but there is no spark.

i think the computer isnt getting power cause the check engine light does not come on, the fuel system control circut has no power and the ignition is not working . i have checked all the fuses there fine two are missing but they have been gone since i got the van

could this be in the ignition switch or is there a relay or fuse that powers the computer?

any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

progress

thank you for your reply brooklynbay. and sorry i didnt introduce myself all proper like.

so ive had two of these aerostars one 1990 and one 1992 same engine same everything. i have worked on both of them so much they seem the same to me ,when i buy parts for either i use one year cause its easier to remember and they research the exact same parts come up with both that made me think that essentially they were the same model per say a despite of year .

well with alot of googling i was able to ascertain that the fuel pump ignition coil and check engine light get power from the eec i was able to jump the eec control relay and joyously start the van . so the eec is suposed to be powered by the ignition switch witch im hoping solves the problem when i change it out tomorrow

the pcm socket control circut has a good ground but has no power with ignition on. i replaced the ignition just to double check but still no juice.

im not sure where to look next is there a fuse i dont know about

i do not have a owners manual. i have rechecked several times and all fuses are good

the primary circut has power and when i jump leads 3 and 4 the check engine light comes on the fuel pump runs and the engine starts for some reason the control circut that engages the solenoid does not seem to work

right now i have a switch with a inline fuse jumping the pcm relay socket to start my van till i can figure out what the problem is

do you have any suggestions why the control circut does not have power?

I had a similar issue with my 1988 van a log time ago. It was a burned out fusible link which was connected to the starter relay on the driver's side inner fender wall. At a later time it happened again, and it was a broken ground wire near the battery.

well its kind of strange i was able to start the van by jumpin the pcm relay socket before but now i have to jump the pcm relay and the fuel pump relay to start the car the difference is about 20 degrees since i started the car last time

this time i drove er around the block it worked fine a little off on the shifts but i think its low on transmission fluid but i didn't get it warm enough to properly check

so ive been looking as hard as i can at alll electrical connections and wires and havent noticed any observable problems still not sure what the root problem is

in the bigger citys i dont see to many aerostars running but ruraly and more country i sea alot of these around most of them parked in the yard for whatever reason

whats pretty funny is i see about 5 a week broke down on the side of the road or highway consistently ford sure made alot of these vans .

Back