• Register Today It's free!

my 2-3 flare woes

SensRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT 4x4 Xcab
My tranny (4r55e 96 Ranger 4L, 80k kms) seems to work perfectly well except for a small flare when shifting 2-3 and sometimes a clunk and delay when shifting in/out of reverse, especially in the winter, but never more than 1.5 seconds or so... but driveability seems fine. I started noticing the flare around the beginning of summer but it was so small I thought it might be normal somehow. Then I figured it was the common low pressure/ seperator plate gasket issue from the TSB and the detailed threads here, so finally brought it to a reputable tranny shop last week, which diagnosed the same. They updated it with the ford kit.....and it did not fix the flare!! Apparently there is damage inside, worn clutch packs likely or something.

Well they didnt charge me for the work but....how much time do I have left?? I have been backing off the accelerator just before the point where it would flare, and it drops into 3rd nicely. Is this a good thing to do? Will it extend the tranny's life? Should I pay for a full repair now, or will driving it (and slipping once in a while for sure) make for a more expensive repair later?
It really doesnt seem to be on the brink of breaking. The fluid was pink before the work, never seen the OD light flash, no CEL...they quoted me about 1000 cdn for the work...... any comments and advice appreciated.. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the monkey cage, SensRanger. :D

It's interesting that the Ford kit didn't fix your flare. I assume the shop installled the new separator plate along with the revised blow-off valve? I had the same problem, and installed the Ford parts along with a Superior shift kit. I also installed a new EPC solenoid. This cured my flare, but I'm not sure which individual modification or part did it. It's possible that one of the mods in the Superior kit is the cure, or perhaps the EPC wears out over time. (It dithers constantly, so is subject to more wear than the other solenoids.)

I'm sure you've read Glacier's "5R55E valve body diary". If not, do a search, it contains much info about the flaring.

Unfortunately, the flaring will get worse over time, at least mine did. I don't think you need a rebuild at that low mileage, but the flare does need to be fixed. Maybe someone else will post with more info on what they've done to correct it.....

Thanks for the reply. I think I might re read all the posts about the flaring to get a better idea of what it might be since the ford kit did not work. I do think the shop installed the new separator plate/ gasket and blow-off valve and I also thought the EPC solenoid update was part of that kit? Since they didnt charge me when it did not cure the symptom I never saw an invoice or anything.
It still drives pretty well for now, rarely notice the problem by letting off the gas before the slipping shift...though engagements from D to R and back are slow. This will probably get worse in winter and then I will pay for the fix. I drive in the bush a lot so for now i'm making sure to always have a tow strap, though hopefully you're right and it will get much worse before I should be worried about a breakdown of sorts.

The repair does not include a new EPC solenoid. While it is possible your have other internal factors at play, I am guessing a VB rebuild might fix things..... Sonnax has come out with some new 5R55E valve body fixes I am exploring.... I'll add them to the thread I did on the VB rebuild soon. (Once I can get my hands on them) ... one of them addresses this problem!

My 1998 Explorer sport 4r55E with 130K street only miles has been experiencing this as well. Since the problem started a couple months ago I changed the fluid and filter hoping this would do some good & we've been babying it; easing off the gas for the 2-3 shift so it wouldn't flare and whatnot. Haven't actually left it at the dealer to look at it yet since 1) its pretty hard to go without the Ex for extended periods, 2) babying it results in no flare, & 3) the service guy I spoke to wasn't familiar with the problem (since there seems to be a kit to address this, the fact that he's never heard of it doesn't inspire confidence). But, I would like to get it fixed; I don't want to have to let off the gas for the 2-3 shift for the rest of its life & risk a bigger failure that could have been preveneted down the road. I've been less than successful in my search in obtaining info on this, everything seems to address the 5R55E, not the 4R55E. Can the Ford kit be obtained at the parts counter? I'd like to try to install it myself (sounds like its just an updated separator plate). Do the Superior & TransGo kits basically perform the same update? I'd probably change the solenoid too while I'm in there, but I'd like to get more familiar with the situation first.

I did see kits on ebay.com acouple months ago maybe keep looking there but untill than try taking it too another dealer maybe since that service guy doesn't know about it. Sorry too hear about your troubles.

Since this thread started, there's been a member here with the same problem, that did the separator plate/blow-off valve kit with no change in the flare. He then replaced the EPC solenoid, and guess what, NO FLARE! This seems to indicate that the EPC is the flare culprit, or at least it's connected.

I have about 10K on my flare fix, and the trans still shifts great (knock on wood). I replaced the separator plate, blow off valve kit, Superior kit, AND the EPC at the same time. One of these mods fixed the flare, but I'm not sure which one.

Fordpartsnetwork.com, a site sponsor, is a good source for the revised plate and valve kit.

ROE

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Since this thread started, there's been a member here with the same problem, that did the separator plate/blow-off valve kit with no change in the flare. He then replaced the EPC solenoid, and guess what, NO FLARE! This seems to indicate that the EPC is the flare culprit, or at least it's connected.

I have about 10K on my flare fix, and the trans still shifts great (knock on wood). I replaced the separator plate, blow off valve kit, Superior kit, AND the EPC at the same time. One of these mods fixed the flare, but I'm not sure which one.

Fordpartsnetwork.com, a site sponsor, is a good source for the revised plate and valve kit.

ROE

I plan on doing exactly as you did--do the separator plate BOV kit, superior kit, and EPC while I'm in there. I'll be sure to shop Fordpartsnetwork.com. Hopefully I can get to this pretty soon & report back with my results.

Thank you

377Z, just in case you haven't seen it, here's an invaluable thread concerning valve body modifications. With pictures.
5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Good luck with yours. It's best to schedule an afternoon (3-4 hrs) for the work. It's not hard, you just have to take your time and not rush and make mistakes.....

ROE

Hey there, figured I'd post an update.
377Z I am sorry to hear you have the same problem as me. I am interested to know whether you were able to cure it. Thanks also RunninOnEmpty for the info on the EPC solenoid, I think I will focus on that. Unfortunately I wouldnt be able myself to make that update. I wonder how much the dealer or a shop would charge to just change that part and if they'd even be open to the suggestion (as opposed to them making a diagnosis ie.rebuild). I've been doing as described by 377Z, easing off on the 2-3 shift (though I think this is hurting my gas mileage) and it seems to work ok. Engagement of Reverse, and Drive from R is still slow but not intolerably so. Sometimes I don't baby it just to confirm the flare still there, it is, and does not seem to be getting worse for now. I was also wondering if simply resetting the computer (disconnecting the battery) would make a difference after the Ford kit update. 86,000 kms on the truck (53,000 miles)

All right, update / vent coming...
Had it with the flare and it seemed to start having a 1-2 flare too so I gave up and took it to a shop.
They replaced the EPC since it was the only thing left to do without dropping the trans, apparently. No change. They're gonna drop it and open er up. Depending on what's gone bad, will either repair or put in a rebuilt. Price = extreme. My satisfaction with this tranny, considering these issues at 55k miles = nonexistent. I honestly expected more than that. I'm still paying the loan off on this thing! :fire: :mad: :fire: :(

Drop

Are you guys doing this shift kit work without dropping the tranny, I see in the last post an EPC was put in wothout dropping, can the shift kit be done as well. When you drop the valve body and seperator plate, do guts fall out or are you safe as long as you don't turn it upside down. Sorry to sound stupid but I'm new at this. Are the bolts evident which to undo to drop the VB?

Thanks,

Bill

PS Experienceing the 2-3 & R slip in my 2000

Sensranger, sorry all that work didn't fix it. I know how frustrating that can be. Be sure and let us know what the shop does to it, and how it runs afterward. Good luck.

Bill, all the work can be done without removing the trans. The valve body is accessable when you drop the trans pan, and as you say, don't turn it upside down. Make a cardboard template to keep the bolts sorted, because there's about 26 of 3-4 different sizes.

Here's what I replaced in mine:
  • Ford separator plate with blow-off valve kit
  • Superior Shift KIt, (with two sep. plate holes drilled out)
  • New solenoid bracket
  • New EPC solenoid

After installation of all these parts, the shift flare was gone, but I really don't know which part fixed it. An added benefit was more uniform shift points, probably from the Superior kit parts. I also added a bottle of LubeGard Red after driving it a week, just for 'insurance'. Still shifts great after a year and 14K miles. Knock on wood..... :)

ROE

5r55e

ROE,

Thank you, I've read the diaries and different folks seem to be using different kits, TransGo etc. Could you give me your list again with where you bought each, and the approxiamate $? I found the Transgo kit for $28 but then you didn't use that? I appreciate the help about doing this repair without taking out the tranny.

Ford separator plate with blow-off valve kit=?
Superior Shift KIt, (with two sep. plate holes drilled out)=?
New solenoid bracket=?
New EPC solenoid =?

Appreciate it,

Bill

I answered this in your thread billy.

Reverse

Just one more thing, did the "slow into reverse" go away with the VB and EPC work?

Thanks,

Bill

377Z,

A 1998 Explorer uses a 5R55E. The last year for the 4R55E was 1996. You can follow the valve body rebuild thread that Glacier has provided.

Nomenclature for 5R55E:
5- five speed
R- Rear wheel drive
55 - torque capacity in ft-lb times 10= 550lb-ft You will see this show as 750N-m on the back of the case, since this trans is built in Europe. Divide by two to match to an engine since the torque converter doubles torque
E- electronic shift

This is a new std nomenclature for transmissions, and though I'm aware of it, I don't really know all the formal details

Hope this helps

Welcome, popeye. :chug:

Just one more thing, did the "slow into reverse" go away with the VB and EPC work?
Bill, my 'lazy' reverse went from about 4 seconds delay, to about 2 seconds after the work. Not instantaneous, but I can live with that.

The Superior kit includes a revised O-ring for the reverse servo, that seals better. You'll find lots of gunk build-up on the reverse servo plate when you remove it. Cleaning this out and cleaning the bore should also help.

ROE

ROE I don't remember did you do the boost valve mod too ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glacier, no I didn't do the boost valve, only a new EPC. Nor did I add the Superior PressureRiser gizmo.

I probably would have added the boost valve if I'd been aware of it at the time. I did the work over a year ago, and not as much was known about fixing the flare then. I used your A4LD Dairy as a guide (thanks again).

Back