Adjusted bands and now no flare? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adjusted bands and now no flare?

kindred4x

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 sport
I have a 96 sport OHV with a 4r55e tranny with 136000 miles on the clock. I have been experiencing a flare or slip under hard throttle. So i have been researching and reading the diaries and came to the conclusion to bolt in a valve body from central valve bodies. Well i decided to adjust my bands last night because i have never done it and im still looking for reasons why my trans would flare due to the fact that i have no dtcs or flashing od light, i have all forward gears and reverse and it only flares under hard throttle 2-3 shift when it wants to go into overdrive but then doesnt do to throttle? Well anyways the overdrive band had the most slack in it, so i adjusted both bands with the great info of this forum and tried six times to get it to flare on parts of the road where i knew it would flare do to driving habits. But it never did. Did i just save myself several hundred dollars just by adjusting the bands? Is it possible that it was loose enough to cause a flare?

Nevermind guys. had a flare today. Not as bad as they used to be, but it was still there.

A slipping band could flare. You might want to replace the servos since they dry out over time, and contribute to the flare issue. The servo engages, then slowly pinches off since it leaks. The band then drags, and wears down instead of holding the drum firmly. This is why there is so much slack. Did you drop the pan to see if you have a lot of band material or a dirty filter?

It's been about six months since the last time i dropped my pan, and when i did i didn't find anything out of the ordinary, both my trans filters might of caught all the evidence though. Im still pointing towards valve body issues.

Back