My 2002 Expolorer XLT won't start

jhumbertoap

Reaction score
City, State
Painted Post, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
This just happen today.
Drove to work this morning with no problem: no "engine check" indicator, no hesitation, no nothing... everything normal.

But after work (around 6:00PM), it didn't start. The battery is OK, and cranks the motor without a problem but it just doesn't start.
It seems that it's not getting gas, but I don't know for sure.... the pump appears to be working as normal.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes but that didn't help.

Edit: I tried two different keys... that didn;t help either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Humberto.

What is the "theft" light doing?

Thanks for the reply!!

Since I work near 10hrs a day and I really need the car, I ended up calling a shop with towing services.

Second time in 5+ years that I take this car to a mechanic, and the first time in the last 80K miles; the first one was a broken transmission a few months after I bought it in 2004, but still under extended warranty, so I only paid $100 deductible.

Anyway, the mechanic said it was the fuel pump. So I was charged about 70 for towing, 300+ for the pump, and the rest for labor for a total of $646 including tax.

The weird part is that I swear I heard the pump working with the ignition switch on, and the mechanic said it was dead.

Oh well… at least the overall service was pretty good!

Some times you will hear it but it does not pump enough to keep the engine running... Glad to hear that you are back in service!!!

Back