My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS)

Im kind of mad, Blksquad, you mentioned Bluetooth audio. How I wish I thought of that when I bought this HU! The next model up HAD bluetooth, but I dont use bluetooth radios ever for calls, so I thought nothing of using BT audio. DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!

That would have made this so much cleaner! Not that I "cant" upgrade HU's, but im not spending any money until I buy shocks and a rear bumper :)

I never really got into bluetooth audio, until we got the Fiesta with the Sync radio. Damn!

Anyways, I did finally get some sandpaper, and im bound determined to have everything installed in my X today. I already finished sanding the bezel, and its got its first coat of paint, and im about done sanding the console, but I think theres a few more blemishes ill have to cover up with some spot putty/glaze.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear more progress , be glad to see final pics installed , Good Job Brian !!

Well, as usual, nothing went as planned. Sanded the bezel smooth, painted a few light coats of paint, and out of nowhere there was a huge paint drip, small bubbles towards the bottom, then the vent didnt fit back in correctly, so thats delayed me a ton.

Then, while sanding the console, there were a couple small blemishes I sanded down, and applied spot putty to. Let it dry, sanded it, and then the old paint around it started peeling away, and this happened multiple times, so finally after 2 hours of spot glazing, and sanding, I prep it for paint, shoot a light coat of paint down, and it didnt adhere well on the right side, and just totally ruined that side. Im gonna have to find some different primer, the best of the best for plastic in a rattle can, any reccomendations?

I also gutted my console/bezel in hopes of having this stuff done by now.

To top it all off, the iPad doesnt fit in the case now. It wont "snap" in like it did. Im furious. :mad:

Just ordered a new iPad "3" hard case (Same as the one thats in the bezel now, but thats for a 1st gen.) on eBay for $4. Says it should be here early this week.

Now im figuring out how ill mount it, I really dont want to rip the whole bezel apart and re-bondo everything. Im wondering about shaving the edges of the current piece and mounting this one to that. That will minimize the bondo work.

Just ordered a new iPad "3" hard case (Same as the one thats in the bezel now, but thats for a 1st gen.) on eBay for $4. Says it should be here early this week.

Now im figuring out how ill mount it, I really dont want to rip the whole bezel apart and re-bondo everything. Im wondering about shaving the edges of the current piece and mounting this one to that. That will minimize the bondo work.

Fiberglass would be much easier, just get a kit from Walmart, that should be all that you will need.

New case is here finally, already sitting on the shelf with the bondo drying. Gonna go try to find some good rattle can primer, and get it prepped for paint hopefully. Its muggy and nasty outside, so im not painting/priming today, but in the next few days.

I quit my job, so I have a few days off ;) (See my registry, ill explain there.)

New case is here finally, already sitting on the shelf with the bondo drying. Gonna go try to find some good rattle can primer, and get it prepped for paint hopefully. Its muggy and nasty outside, so im not painting/priming today, but in the next few days.

I quit my job, so I have a few days off ;) (See my registry, ill explain there.)

Pix!?

Any progress on this?

Sorry guys, project isnt going to be finished, I did trade my X, but when I still had it, I just couldnt get things to work out.

Case fit the iPad great, then after paint/installation, the iPad didnt even stay in, so I scrapped the piece, and ordered an iPad 3 case, fit great, re attached, sanded sanded sanded etc, then the case was too tight to fit and be able to be removed while in the dash, and from there, everything seemed to work against me, so I ended up giving up.

The console, however still needs paint, but is pretty much "complete" other than that, if anyone is interested in buying, PM me an offer. I can send you the dash bezel also, but that needs some tweaking to work. The console piece will fit any 2nd gen with the full center console, and the radio bezel will fit any 2nd gen.

This was an awesome idea I am thinking about trying this with a iPad mini after I figure out the fuel problem I'm having!

Back