My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.4L 3v Adrenalin engine swap

Have you looked at the 4R75W swap? Could an F150 PCM be used? Not sure how compatible with the rest of the sport trac wiring architecture. I was able to us the Explorer EECV with my Ranger body wiring. All features, including PATS, etc worked.

Manual would be nice, but I imagine fun setting up shifter through the console and a clutch pedal assy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have to get some one that has some pull in R&D at SCT. some one that is a big time SCT tuner Torrie, Justin and some of the other guys. if not there are some programmers at ford racing that might be able to help with a calibration file for you. i believe circle D makes a converter for it.

Plan "B" !

I added this one to the sticky list too.

I have a 5.4l 3v motor that I would consider swapping for your 4.6 send me a reply if interested.I'm in northern Calif. Thanks bob

Regarding the manual transmission, the 2002 V6 ford explorer (third generation) was available in manual transmission in Germany using (M5OD-R1HD) tranny, and the same tranny was used also for 2001-2011 ranger, but you may be better off using the M5OD-R2 which was used for the F150. If the R1HD and the R2 had the same measurements, then a beefed up M5OD-R2 should be your choice. I believe 2002 explorer has the same trans measurements for 2006-10 ex/ st with the 2002 ex

good luck.

Omero

Well, it's just beginning to take shape, but I'm looking for a 5.4L 3v engine from recent F150's or Expeditions to swap out the 4.6L in my '08 Adrenalin.

I think it's a direct drop in with a few minor issues of course. I'll have to check the hood clearance and front pulley setup.

I plan to throw some cams in, upgrade the throttle body/MAF/intake tube and get a good tune before its all finished. Should make for a nice torquey Adrenalin!

THREAD UPDATES- 4-6-10
-- new 5.4 3v engine and Whipple are installed and purring like a kitten.
-- sorting out the transmission and converter tuning issues
-- fuel system and new custom exhaust system being installed as I type this update
-- Dyno tuning coming in next few weeks

enginefinished5.jpg

enginefinished6.jpg

towingmustang.jpg
I'm wondering if I could pick your brain about your 5.4 swap, I currently have an 08 And I would like to do 5.4 swap Nothing crazy just engine for engine do I have to do anything to the transmission being all wheel drive

Back