My 6.5hp Won't Start!! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 6.5hp Won't Start!! Help!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope someone can help.

Went out today to start my Craftsman 6.5 HP push mower, and the key start wouldn't work. :( I turned and turned the key, but all I got was a slow crank. So, I actually had to pull start the thing. :mad: And it took two pulls before it got going. POS!!! :fire: Can anyone help me fix this? Or how much is a lawnmower shop going to charge?

Then, after all that, the self-propelled mechanism had a clicking noise to it. I think it was the right front tire. It drove fine, but that clicking sound bothered me bad! :( From my vague description, can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong? Do I need a new grass catcher?

I REALLY need some help here! The grass is almost 4" tall!!! :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a old school push mower with the rotating blades you can have 125 plus shipping.....its a little rusty so you really have to put your back into it

Sorry to hear it man... pull start sucks. :( I had to pull start mine once- i almost didnt make it to work. :( The grass got almost 5" before i could mow..... and then i had to rake it. That sucked. :(

Offtopic- i think the transmission on my pushmower is slipping. I dont know what to do or how to tell that its slipping, but i think it is. Should i try to put more ATF in it or what? What do i do? SOmeone pleez help. :( :mad: :fire:

Robb said:
Hey guys, hope someone can help.

Went out today to start my Craftsman 6.5 HP push mower, and the key start wouldn't work. :( I turned and turned the key, but all I got was a slow crank. So, I actually had to pull start the thing. :mad: And it took two pulls before it got going. POS!!! :fire: Can anyone help me fix this? Or how much is a lawnmower shop going to charge?

Then, after all that, the self-propelled mechanism had a clicking noise to it. I think it was the right front tire. It drove fine, but that clicking sound bothered me bad! :( From my vague description, can anyone tell me exactly what is wrong? Do I need a new grass catcher?

I REALLY need some help here! The grass is almost 4" tall!!! :eek:
this post from a Mod? talk about using up web space, Oy:0

You have a key start on your push mower?!?! Lucky SOB :p Anyway, first off, check your spark and make sure your getting enough juice. Then just take it apart and check all the internal parts to make sure nothing's broken or really dirty. I've gone through hell w/ my 5hp and have had to take it apart multiple times, with the help of my dad, to get it running right again. Good luck.

Recharge your key-start battery. As for the wheel, maybe it's loose or has something stuck in it? I've got a Torro 6hp and had to recharge the key-start battery a couple weeks ago (takes 24 hours).

get a pushbutton start....you know, the ones sport-tracs have that regular explorers don't.

izackary said:
get a pushbutton start....you know, the ones sport-tracs have that regular explorers don't.
It would be REAL easy to wire something like that up. Get a momentary pushbutton and connect the 2 wires. Hmmmmm. Think I've got a mod for the lawnmower ;)

1)does the key have a chip like in GM's cars and trucks???? You might might try to clean it with rubbing alcohol.

2) or the new high-tec keys have a small 1.5 volt battery, like in a watch, just replace it.

please keep as informed :D

I heard Briggs & Stratton charges $$$$$ to cut new PATS keys....make sure you keep that second key in a super safe location.....a garden shed will be fine.

i bet the polarity of the orbital fluctuator got knocked off a bit over a thick patch of weed. just reset it and it should start fine.

You need to check and recheck all of the vacuum hose fittings and make sure that the battery terminals aren't corroded away. This has plagued the 6.5's for years now and the fix is a simple cable change. If you take it to a stealership they will want big bucks and probably tell you it is the flux capacitor, but just understand that they have to eat too, so don't argue with them, just don't give them your business.

...I haven't laughed this hard this early in the morning in a loong time...thanks guys!

also.. are you sure the sound from the front isn't the blade interchange port? when the blade gets dull the port makes a slight clicking noise letting you know. its a common problem with them. replace it with a MOOG blade and all will be good.

your hub might be shot, if you got those autos make sure to get rid of them

izackary said:
Sport tracs have push buttons,?????????????????

spindle... i'm pretty sure most of the stuff in this thread is a joke. you know.. to put a point across not to post stupid non emergency stuff in the 911 forum? get it?

Con Seann3ry said:
your hub might be shot, if you got those autos make sure to get rid of them

Does Warn make a kit to switch from manual hubs to automatics? My chick doesn't like it when I ask her to go flip em out in a snowstorm, or when we're stuck in the mud

jasonb said:
spindle... i'm pretty sure most of the stuff in this thread is a joke. you know.. to put a point across not to post stupid non emergency stuff in the 911 forum? get it?
Actually Jason this site confuses me at times (am a simple guy) I took the first post as being a real post, did not notice it was in 911.
But it is not in 911 any longer, just do not understand :confused:

Ahh.. it was in 911 in the beginning. Now my post is gonna look real strange.. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:confused: Not to worry Jason
I just wonder if Chickins have lips and where I should post my question :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

Back