• Register Today It's free!

My 79 Z28 Camaro

hornz2000

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
Right now I have a 79 Z28 Camaro hasn't been started in 10 years. It has 129,000 miles. My dad decided to have someone restore it and this is what the final goal is goin to be(except brown stripes instead of red):
glenlavallee.jpg

This is what is going to be done to it:

I. Engine

New crate engine (EDIT:No more crate engine, having one built)
350 CI
350 HP
4 Bolt Mains
Forged Pistons
Sealed Power Rings
Edelbrock Performer Intake
Double Roller Timing Chain
HEI Distributor
Carter AFB 750 CFM
Hooker Headers
Edelbrock Fuel Pump
Victor Series Water Pump
Starter
Alternator
Battery
Hoses
Belts
Air Cleaner

II. Transmission
(3 Speed no O/D)
Hurst Shift Improver
350 Turbo
TCI Transmission Pan

III. Exhaust

Flowmaster mufflers/pipes
Hardware i.e. clamps, etc.

IV. Fuel Tank/Fuel Lines

V. Tires(BF Goodrich Radials)
Reconditioned stock wheels

VI. Suspension

Tie row ends (inner & outer)
Idler arm
Control arm bushings (upper & lower)
Ball Joints
Center Link
Sway bar
Edelbrock shocks

VII. Body

2 stage paint (white)
Door Hinges
New Z28 Brown stripes

VIII. Interior

New Carpeting
New Panels
Recovered seats

IX. Brakes

New Pads/Shoes
New Drums/Rotors
New Calipers
Hardware kits
Master cylinder
Hoses

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope he cut a check to the guy doing all the work yesterday and today they came and put it on a trailer.

that's going to be a nice car.

when it's done you should post some before and after pics:)

Nope he cut a check to the guy doing all the work yesterday and today they came and put it on a trailer.

So, dad is doing all this for you.

Robb

Well it is going to be his car as much as mine...I will maybe drive it once a week or so then i'm off to college and same with him it is just going to be a fun car, we all have daily cars.

Sweet car. My coworker has a one too, with a supercharged 350 quick change rearend and all the cool goodies. Man that car can haul some balls. Probibaly the fastest car I have ever had the opertunity to ride in. Post some pics of the progress if you can.

If it weren't for my dad nothing would get done and there would be no camaro. Actually, though, it is going to be my car, it is going to be like a graduation gift (although I don't plan on taking it to college). I just don't want to drive it very often b/c I want it to last a long time and if he wants to drive it sometimes I'm cool with that. I mean it used to be his in college and he gave it to me.
Peace

I knew what you meant morrisey and I don't know how this got where it did all I can point my finger to is Alto's post. Anyways, when my dad's contract is up in SF he will be back in Dallas and start driving it more, so really it is 1/2 his 1/2 mine he says now he is going to give it to me but I have a feeling he will end up wanting to keep it for himself (lol) that tends to happen a lot with him he says one thing but means another. One way or another though it is going to be an awesome car for both of us to enjoy. Peace

are you going to take it to the track when it's finished (after you break in the new engine)?
:)

Ya I definitely will after I break the engine in. I am trying to talk my dad into puttin a supercharger on it so we will see how that goes. I will post during pics whenever I go to the guy's garage that is building it to check it out.

OK well I went to the body shop today where it is at right now to check out the progress. These pictures were taken at the completion of 10 coats of clear coat and 13 coats of white paint, with several more to come. Also, the wheels were sandblasted and have 17 coats on them right now. The brownish/golden decals will go on at the very end. Also in these pictures the suspension is just about completed.
closepaintsmall.JPG

back1small.JPG

door1small.JPG

engine_bay1small.JPG

front1small.JPG

hood1small.JPG

inside1small.JPG

side3small.JPG

suspension2small.JPG

wheel1small.JPG

Very nice looking car there hornz! When is it estimated to be done?

People need to CHILL!!!!! (Comment is not directed towards anyone in particular)

Keep the Updates comming...

That looks great. I used to have a 77 Camaro that was my pride and joy, Till I came to my senses and bought my real baby. 70 Mach 1 stang. A friend and I completely rebuilt her a few years ago (no where near original) and I sold it to the same friend about 8 months ago. Still kicking myself :rolleyes: :shoot: anyway, Keep the updates comming. :D

Looks like you have a hell of a car there Hornz...and it's only gettin better...Keep us updated!!

Just like the Dead Milkmen said "*****in' Camaro"...

This is probably something you'll all think is dumb, but I like it because it is funny. Have a big Pheonix painted on the hood. Just like Smokey and the Bandit!!

Anyways you should have a big Pheonix airbrushed on the hood....LOL!

Ohhhh Yeaaaa! Wear an REO Speedwagon T and the ladies will flock...

Attachments

• 60964big.jpg
    60964big.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 869

Judging by the tone of this thread I figured I had better do some recon.

Really though that is a nice rod. When I was growing up my neighbor had the same year, juiced up and locked. I think he pulled mid 11's in the 1/4 normally aspirated. Have fun!!

Thanks guys...I think we are just sticking to the Z28 OEM decals though...lol sorry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad to hear you guys are making some progress, Makes me think back about 2 years ago, I was in the same stage with the 65 Chebie Corvair. If you havnt put the trim back on yet, TAKE YOUR TIME! Just be SUPER careful, cause brand new paint scratches sooo easily its not even funny. By the time I had all my trim back on I had to do about a weeks worth of touchup, wetsanding, and buffing. Good luck and keep us updated! :D :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Back