My 79 Z28 Camaro | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 79 Z28 Camaro

Originally posted by Fischer
Just like the Dead Milkmen said "*****in' Camaro"...

This is probably something you'll all think is dumb, but I like it because it is funny. Have a big Pheonix painted on the hood. Just like Smokey and the Bandit!!

Anyways you should have a big Pheonix airbrushed on the hood....LOL!

Ohhhh Yeaaaa! Wear an REO Speedwagon T and the ladies will flock...

i dont know if you noticed, but this car you posted is not a camaro,its a firebird, thus the reason for the pheonix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, if you want to get technical, you are both wrong. It is a Trans Am. Anyways, I wanted some feedback from you guys. We are going to be changing either gears or swapping in a new 12-bolt or something. We had the stock rear end rebuilt with the stock 2.73s and it has the rebuilt T-350 automatic 3 speed no O/D. This is pushing 375 - 400 HP so I am wondering what gears we should go to or should we invest in a new Moser or something. For gears, I was thinking 3.42 or 3.73???

go with 3.73s, maybe ever 4.10s :) :) :) I got 4.10s comming for my Stang, and i can't wait.

Ya you have the M5 though. 4.10s are more suited for manual applications (for practical use) while 3.73s are better suited for autos.

2001gtboy - you may want to go with 3.73 gears on your 5 speed stang. I've been in a 4.10 equiped 4.6 02' GT with some mods, the 4.10's actually made the car feel a little slower and 1st gear was basically useless then a 3.73 equiped 4.6 GT b/c when you shift it kinda knocks it out of the powerband with the points being a little high. 3.73 gears keep it right in the power band the whole time.....you should know this being a member on Stangnet lol;)

On an auto Mustang 4.6 GT, 4.10 gears are a must and watch out for autos equiped like that b/c the converter combined with those gears allows them to launch very hard;)

4.10 and 4.30 gears are better suited to the dohc Cobra engine b/c it loves to rev and has a high powerband. The regular GT has more of a midrange type of powerband.

Hornz - on your Trans Am, your choices would be perfect, depends on where your powerband is thoug, most likely 3.73 gears will be better I think for your application.

Originally posted by MO_GUY
i dont know if you noticed, but this car you posted is not a camaro,its a firebird, thus the reason for the pheonix

I am and was fully aware of that. Firebird=Pheonix

I was just being a smartarse.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
2001gtboy - you may want to go with 3.73 gears on your 5 speed stang. I've been in a 4.10 equiped 4.6 02' GT with some mods, the 4.10's actually made the car feel a little slower and 1st gear was basically useless then a 3.73 equiped 4.6 GT b/c when you shift it kinda knocks it out of the powerband with the points being a little high. 3.73 gears keep it right in the power band the whole time.....you should know this being a member on Stangnet lol;)

On an auto Mustang 4.6 GT, 4.10 gears are a must and watch out for autos equiped like that b/c the converter combined with those gears allows them to launch very hard;)

4.10 and 4.30 gears are better suited to the dohc Cobra engine b/c it loves to rev and has a high powerband. The regular GT has more of a midrange type of powerband.

Hornz - on your Trans Am, your choices would be perfect, depends on where your powerband is thoug, most likely 3.73 gears will be better I think for your application.

Thanks for your input, but i already concluded my debate over the 4.10s and 3.73s. Trust me i thought about it hard, and long, but eventually all the stangneters pushed me into the 4.10s. The 3.73s are nice, but most people with them have regretted them on their GTs, the 4.10s work nice because ill go through a quartermile at just short of red line, unless i spin the tires prtty bad, which ill probably do till i get some slicks. The only thing that worried me about the 4.10s was gas mileage, and then i stopped and thought about it. Had i wanted gas mileage in the first place, i woulda gone for a Honda. Then i thought, why the hell would anyone want a honda, then i got mad at the billions of people with hondas, then just figure 4.10s and screw gas.:D

Originally posted by 2001gtboy
Thanks for your input, but i already concluded my debate over the 4.10s and 3.73s. Trust me i thought about it hard, and long, but eventually all the stangneters pushed me into the 4.10s. The 3.73s are nice, but most people with them have regretted them on their GTs, the 4.10s work nice because ill go through a quartermile at just short of red line, unless i spin the tires prtty bad, which ill probably do till i get some slicks. The only thing that worried me about the 4.10s was gas mileage, and then i stopped and thought about it. Had i wanted gas mileage in the first place, i woulda gone for a Honda. Then i thought, why the hell would anyone want a honda, then i got mad at the billions of people with hondas, then just figure 4.10s and screw gas.:D
If you got some other mods (can't remember from your sig) then your powerband has shifted up a little so 4.10's will probably work well, your right though you'll trap right at redline so you won't have to shift agin so thats a plus.

As for mileage it shouldn't even really drop, the sohc and dohc are more efficient in the midrange and high end then low end. My friend just installed 4.10's on his 03' Cobra which is putting down around 470rwhp and 480rwtq (I posted the earlier dyno #'s somewhere on this board). Holy friggen ****, it hooks hard as hell, he's easily in the low to mid 11's now, there was such a big difference from the stock 3.55 gears which kinda hold back the engine especially with mods. It has so much available tq that it just slams you in every gear, he wants to install a KenneBell twin-screw to replace the eaton unit and he'll he putting down some sick friggen #'s after that but being on Stangnet you've probably read the thread about KenneBell delaying their chargers ect. He gets about the same mileage as before, 16mpg in the city.

EDIT -as for the wheelspin problem, especially with 4.10's, get some Nitto Drag radials, my other friends 01' Cobra runs these and they are excellent tires, my friends 03' Cobra definitley needs them now as he has major wheelspin in the 1st three gears now and barks 4th with the 4.10:eek:

im hoping for the the nitto 555s they arent priced too badly either at about 190, althoug the BFG hook much better and are about 10 bucks cheaper, but they wont last as long as the nittos
:(

www.missbehavin.stangnet.com for my mods, few more since the last time i updated it, but thats most of them.

Originally posted by 2001gtboy
im hoping for the the nitto 555s they arent priced too badly either at about 190, althoug the BFG hook much better and are about 10 bucks cheaper, but they wont last as long as the nittos
:(

www.missbehavin.stangnet.com for my mods, few more since the last time i updated it, but thats most of them.
Thats a nice page you made, nice mods to. Get ready for them one chambers though, with your MAC offroad pipe I think your gonna scare the **** out of anyone next to you or within earshot of your car.

Thats what I don't like about the BFG tires, they wear too fast especially on the track, Nitto's are the best overall IMO as they are grippy as hell and last almost as long as a normal tire.

HORNZ - do you know what the powerband of your car is? What about redline?

sorry to highjack the thread, but anyways. I already have my single chambers, and i love em, get plenty of compliments too.

It has sat in the garage since we got it back. We aren't taking it out until we get it appraised Friday so the insurance will put us under full coverage. Right now it is only insured for $3,000 and it has over $17,000 in it so it would really suck if we F'd it up. Also, it hasn't been dynoed, but that is in the works shortly. Once I have the car on the street I can tell you this stuff for the most part. I think 3.73s are the way to go though.

We got 3.42's thrown in the rear-end, makes a nice difference:eek: :eek: I mashed the gas the other day goin about 20 and the car went sideways on me:cool:

hows it driving otherwise? Good to hear that the gear ratio is nice and aggressive :)

It drives unbelievable for a 79...sooo smooth...we just had pretty much all the front suspension components swapped for new parts too.

For gears, I was thinking 3.42 or 3.73???

you'll love the 3.42's my 80 z28 with a 400 sb will whip a mustang off the line perfect gears
actully I have 3 z28's all automatics
80 3.42 t tops black red interior 400sb
80 ??/ tan tan interior 350 factory
79 3.08's white red interior with a 403 old bb
80 T.A. white red interior getting a 70 model 455 rocket

parts 80 z-28 rock crusher 4 speed with 4:11's and t tops
and 99 explorer5.0
the white camaro is jacked up to high in the rear these cars was made to hug the ground you lift the back like that and it will get lose in the curves
p.s I have camaro since 91 and I circle track race too so trust me his car was set-up wrong and he pushing it to hard to catch up but a cool video my 79 would whip them both it set's low my 80 would spin out because it is set up for a big block exte heavy front springs

cool ride question how many grand did that cost??? I am getting ready to redo my 80 t-top z justr the same way I will look better than new.

james t

also the z-28's did have smog pump and catalatic converters they had either two cat's with true duals or on big cat then they split into duals all of my z-28 had the factory exhuast on them like that but now they are true duals with 12 inch glass pack oh how sweet they sound.

did u repalce parts back to stock, or did u go up to performance.

project92: Total cost(& we are still going) so far: $17,000+.

2001gtboy: We went up to performance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ohhhhhhh... the sound of power.

Back