My '92' 4.0L is dead ? ?

firewolfm

Reaction score
City, State
Albrightsville,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94' X Sport, '92' XLT
:thumbdwn: I'm alittle baffled here?
I was on my way home yesterday and all of a sudden the truck began to lose power on this fairly long and steep incline going up.
It almost sounded like the truck was starving for fuel,but I had plenty of gas? It got increasingly worse then finally died atop the hill.
It was overheated and I let it cool down alittle while. When I started it back up the engine would not rev more than 2000 rpm? I started to try and make it home but after alittle distance it would stall again and not start back up for 10 or 15 minutes each time? Well I finally limped into a garage in the area I know and had the truck flatbeded from there.
I checked ignition and all seems OK?
I checked fuel supply and it's not the pump,and pressure is good at the FI manifold.
I started troublshooting the problem and it could be the PCM (power control module),but I have no way of testing it.
At this time I'm open to any and all input,I need this truck running ASAP:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like what we refer to as a "hot supper", unless I'm misunderstanding. If it overheated and you drove it until it stopped, there are not too many engines that will survive something like that without damage. My wife did it to an old 4 cyl mustang once, ran it dry of coolant. Those 2.3 L engines can't be killed though, big heavy cylinder head.

It's not using coolant or making any noises is it?

Did you ever figure out the problem? An whats up with the bold caps?

You say fuel pressure is fine...how do you know? What are the pressures while under load? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

check fuel volume,

pull the shrader valve out of the fuel rail, connect a hose, get a single serve glass snapple bottle, you should be able to dam near fill it in 30 sec. or less if you got good volume.

but if you ran it overheated and ground it to a stop, good chance the motor is on the toast side. ford v-6's do not like to be overheated.

Well, this is exactly what happened to me. I replaced the water pump and thermostat, and it stopped over heating. We did notice a loss of power.

The truck still runs, but the loss of power is too significant for us to really drive around in.

check fuel volume,

pull the shrader valve out of the fuel rail, connect a hose, get a single serve glass snapple bottle, you should be able to dam near fill it in 30 sec. or less if you got good volume.

but if you ran it overheated and ground it to a stop, good chance the motor is on the toast side. ford v-6's do not like to be overheated.

Back