my 97 ranger sas,302 powered. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my 97 ranger sas,302 powered.

ok,i just bought this,its technically a 92 frame,with a 97 body on it,i just trailered it home sunday.

i havent had much time to go over it,but the few things i do know...it needs a better front axle. the entire drivetrains from a 67/68 bronco

d30 front/9inch rear/302 and c4 trans with a dana20 i beleive tcase,its a cast iron case,very very closely resembles a NP205.

it needs ALOT of work,but i got a pretty good deal on it,i paid 700 for it as you see in the pics.

it also needs new springs all around,mainly,the front leaves are 6 inch {rear} ranger lift leafs.and they sagged quite a bit under the weight of the 302,and the rear is SOA conversion with i beleive 4 inch lift leafs,and 4 inch blocks,id prefer to just get taller front and rear leaves to level the truck out,and to get rid of the rear blocks.

heres some pics i took sunday night when we got it off the trailer..

rangerpics001.jpg

rangerpics002.jpg

rangerpics003.jpg

rangerpics004.jpg

rangerpics006.jpg

rangerpics007.jpg

rangerpics008.jpg

rangerpics009.jpg

rangerpics011.jpg

rangerpics012.jpg

currently it has qr78 buckshots on it,equivalent to a 36 inch tire...the previous owners had 39.5s on it efore they bought the new front leafs,i guess thats when they realized they screwed up and got too small of a lift spring.

the 302 runs,i gotta get the carb rebuilt and the damn starter changed,which requires at the minimum dissasembly of the pass side header/collector to get enough room to get the starter out.

i know it needs quite a bit of attention,but i dont think i did to bad for 700 bucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep needs work!! Looks like a GREAT place to start though, an Earlybroncoranger!!!

Its likely that 289 makes less power then the OHV 4.0L however, unless its got mods!

nice truck for $$$$$$$ good job!

plans?

the motor has,hooker headers,2.5 inch true dual exhaust into flowmaster 10 series race mufflers,ported heads with edelbrock intake,msd ignition,pertronix electronic ign conversion,and a small comp cam with crane roller rockers. i was told the motor was from a 68{which was the 302} but the rest was from the 67.

right now my plans are to get the right leaf springs under it to level it back out,fix the few things here and there that need attention,put the rollcage into it,and wheel the PEE out of it.

im ordering a set of 38.5s for it,just not sure which ones i want yet,TSL SX'S or boggers.

heres a pic of my explorer

explorerandsaab.jpg

38.5's on a d30 /stockEB9" =
nuke.gif

neither axle is staying in this truck,the rear is getting the 14BFF i have as a spare for my chevy pickup,the fronts getting either a D44,or A D60 {if i can find a d60 local}

neither axle is staying in this truck,the rear is getting the 14BFF i have as a spare for my chevy pickup,the fronts getting either a D44,or A D60 {if i can find a d60 local}

yea that will be a nice rig when those tires and axles are in

the motor has,hooker headers,2.5 inch true dual exhaust into flowmaster 10 series race mufflers,ported heads with edelbrock intake,msd ignition,pertronix electronic ign conversion,and a small comp cam with crane roller rockers. i was told the motor was from a 68{which was the 302} but the rest was from the 67.

right now my plans are to get the right leaf springs under it to level it back out,fix the few things here and there that need attention,put the rollcage into it,and wheel the PEE out of it.

im ordering a set of 38.5s for it,just not sure which ones i want yet,TSL SX'S or boggers.

heres a pic of my explorer

explorerandsaab.jpg

looks good man!! thats a hell of a deal on that truck!

nice saab, is that ur too!

Hell of a deal for a mostly done wheeler. FYI i wouldnt drive it on the front D30. I couldnt see a close up but it appears to have a something welded to the passenger side knuckle for high steer.

Either way, you got a damn good base to start with. :thumbsup:

well,it apears a motor swaps in order now,good friend of mine just totalled his 04 cobra.... :D

hes alright,insurance totalled it out,but he bought it back,hes givin me the motor/trans for 1200{im helpin him get a new car}

so question is....what kind of trans should i run behind this thing? id love to run the T56,but im not aware of any adapters to boltup a tcase to it.

and this is the 4.6 dohc supercharged 390 horse motor. should make this ranger a freakin riot!

its definatly doable. Make sure you get all the wiring harnesses and everything from that car. take its computer hell take the gas tank and its lines.

atlas make a divorced transfer case now
they didnt when i was looking for mine
so you can use a two by trans and clock the transfer case however you want

For the time being, I'd take out the overload leaves in the front if the ride is a little harsh...would help out the flex a little too.

Rallytruck69,
If you ever want to wheel sometime let me know:thumbsup:
You going to the big run next month? Should be a blast out there at Truckhaven.

Back