My 98 super charged EX | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 super charged EX

1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok, I dont want to see that.
1st thru 3rd, yes.

This is my 5th run at Atco Dragway test and tune on 03-30-2019.

Any change in nitrous jetting?

I went up to a 50 shot that day. I don't remember what run it was though.
The video I post next Friday night has my fastest run of the day and I am pretty sure it was a 50 but only in 4th if I recall.
The next time I get to the track should be better. Going to start with 50 shot and timing where I had it last, going to adjust shift points higher and try smaller supercharger pulleys.
I need to find what website has DA histories so I can look up the difference between 03-30-2019 and some of my 12.80 runs.

I thought this was my fastest run of the day but I was wrong, you will have to wait until next weekend for that one.
Here is run number 6.

Run #7 from 03-30-2019

Run# 8
Last video from 03-30-2019

I have a question on converter lockup. Are you locking yours in 2nd and 3rd?

I found a document that apprears to be made by one of the engineers that made my 4r70w and he says to make sure you lock the converter at wot.

Since I have a triple disk converter I thought I'd go ahead and make the converter lock up in 3rd Wot (It already does in 2nd). I hear other conflicting info you shouldn't lock it. End of the day, I have no clue.

I'm actually surprised your not kissing the 12's yet. For whatever reason, it just seems like a crazy challenge to make these boats fast. Not that low 13's isn't fast, but you know what I mean.

Are you still increasing nitrous jet sizes?

I tried to lock the converter in 2nd and 3rd but it just doesn't happen, only locking in 4th. Something in the tune I am missing probably.
Now that SCT/Derive cut back on access to certain things, I am just giving up on doing any more tuning except Timing, A/F, and shift points(frustrated).
I have stock converter anyway so it probably wouldn't last long if it did lock in other gears. I cant believe it isn't slipping in 4th when I spray nitrous.

The video is from 03-30-2019 (March) (it was warmer weather here). I have since raised the nitrous to 100HP shot and spraying in 4th only.
I have achieved 12.9 in warmer weather with nitrous, where as before I was about 13.6 in warmer weather without nitrous.
Just wait until it gets cold in September, LOL.

June 4th I sprayed 100HP shot in 4th and ran that 12.9.
I upped the jets to 120HP and accidentally hit the nitrous button before the 3-4 shift occurred.
During the 3-4 shift my PCM commands torque truncation which pulls timing way back to -10 degrees to cut power on the shift.
My mistake caused a nitrous back fire and blew off three vacuum hoses. I was only able to get to two of them at the track.
I drove home with the boost gauge vacuum hose still disconnected and had to take the throttlebody and supercharger inlet elbow off to fix it.
There is no gasket between the elbow and supercharger so it has to be RTV'd, so even if I had the right tools I couldn't have done it at the track and been able to race again that day.

It was very frustrating to come so close with the 12.9 run, and then having my mistake stop me from going further.
Two or three runs after my nitrous backfire, a very nice looking Barracuda blew his engine causing oil under his tires and he went left crossing the other lane and hit the wall hard. Vehicle was totaled but at least he was ok.

When I get time I will be back at the track to have some fun and try to break my own record.
Until then I have lots of video editing to do so I can post videos from 5-24,5-31, and 6-4. (I was on vacation for 3 weeks and went racing 3 times)

I hope you had a great vacation, it sounds like it.

That's how most fast cars get fast, they keep running it and adjusting things, until they hit the best combination.

Now that SCT/Derive cut back on access to certain things, I am just giving up on doing any more tuning except Timing, A/F, and shift points(frustrated).
I understand your frustration. I attempted to modify my tune earlier this year but only had access to a few calibration constants. I contacted the company and was told I needed to complete an online training course to increase the accessible constants. I completed the course but did not receive an update to my dongle so in my opinion my Advantage tuning software is worthless. In the future when I have nothing else to do I may contact SCT about restoring my calibrator status.

Fantastic news on the 12.9!
I thought you were kidding when you said you were going to spray in 4th. Your proving all things that people complain about on your motor/trans combo wrong (other than the timing tensioners). Your trans is taking all kinds of abuse. I love it!

I'm going to take a run at locking my converter in 3rd at wot and see if I can feel a difference.

Dale, I hope its not too hard to get calibrator status back. The course was all about emissions and calibrator doesn't have anything to do with it so I'm hoping your ok. My transition with SCT thru the course was smooth and seamless. So was Vroomzoomboom's. Unfortunately, SCT had no choice in what they did, its just ****ty for us end users. I have a feeling it was the diesel group that ruined it for everyone setting their rigs up to 'lay coal' (At least I think that's the term for it).

I'm sure happy your enjoying your truck 4point, and not still thinking of getting rid of it.

Nice to hear from you all!
I am enjoying the truck now more than ever. I am making it a point to get to the track as much as possible this year.
Also having 3 go pro hero 7 black editions in the truck and a camera(Sony AX53) that friends work for me lets me get better footage and I am trying to grow my YouTube Channel now.
Maybe when I get to 1,000 subscribers I will monetize my channel to pay for nitrous, LOL. $80.00 to fill the bottle at the track.

HP tuners seems like a more usable tuning software now but it may not even be available for my old 1998 Explorer.

With those several cameras, what do you have the settings at for recording? I bought a cheaper video camera that does 4k resolution, but my first try I didn't find out how to change the settings. I made recordings one day at work, and they ended up at 648mb to 3.8gb sized, for 90 seconds to just under 9 minutes, so around 400mb per minute. The video players on my PC don't like them at all.

So what is a good resolution for good videos?

Mine are set to 1080p even though the cameras are good for up to 4K.
My home computer is kind of dated and 4k is too much for it.
I think the 1080p looks just fine even on my 4k TV so I am sticking with 1080p.

I had to but the fastest SD memory cards as well, so everything works good.
The new GoPro Hero 7 black edition is very awesome, has anti jitter built in.
I have 6 batteries too so when the first three wear down I swap them out.
They are usually good for 6-7 runs at 1080p and the wifi on, I use the wifi for the remote.
When the remote works right all three turn on and then you can start them all recording too.

Thanks, I was thinking that 1080p would be a good setting. Now if I can just figure out how to do that, it's got a tiny manual in Chinese, and I didn't yet search online for a usable manual.

Iv'e wondered about HP Tuners also.
I love the idea of fueling adjustments done at wot automatically via wideband feedback.
I 'think' pats would just be bypassed.
I'm sure there would be lots of benefits to moving to a newer technology engine management system. Down side is cost, of course.

I love the idea of WOT fueling adjustments too. LOL
To get that you have to have wide band O2 sensor still, and use a stand alone fuel management system like Holley dominator.
That means ditch the PCM.

I love the idea of WOT fueling adjustments too. LOL
To get that you have to have wide band O2 sensor still, and use a stand alone fuel management system like Holley dominator.
That means ditch the PCM.

Do any of the Ford PCM's have that tuning ability, say from a Mustang of the 2003 range?

Back