My 98 V8 Daily driver, Gas sipper, stock for now. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 V8 Daily driver, Gas sipper, stock for now.

Today went and picked up my new to me 98 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer, with 121,000 miles, loaded, new tranny, underneath excellent condition, not hardly any rust. For now will stay almost stock, only changing things to gain better fuel mileage since it is my dailey driver. Got 17mpg on way home from St. Louis taking it easy doing speed limit.

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going down to garage now gonna get this puppy moving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today, completed 98% of 4406 swap all done-- pending shifter boot, and possibly rebent for comfort and shortend lever.

Went ahead and installed some warrior rear shackles and twisted front.

Ordered 265/70?75/16 Pro Comp Extreme allterrains, they claim to measure at about 31.2in tall, and have 40,000 mile tread, yet still look fairly agressive.

Way more fun to drive, with just 2wd, and nice having 4 Low.

Plan to build some mild sliders to protect my factory trim, so I can do some light wheeling when its dry out. This is my daily driver some nothing to crazy.

Also, Im keeping eye out for good deal on some 98-00 Ranger front 4wd parts, I'm gonna swap out so I can run the Lock Out setup that is available for those trucks.

Pics are uploading right now

Well, hoping to go pickup a rolled 98 4wd ranger tommorow if works out, has some 31s that are almost new will work for now, and has lockouts, so i can switch to lockout front end with all its parts.

and its way cheaper than the new tires i wanted to buy.

Nice clean ride you got man! :thumbsup:

Thanks..
It was difficult to find one in good shape for decent price. Then found this one and love it.

Well this seems crazy, but did a mpg test this week, here are the details filled tank completey couldnt get anymore in, I drive 50 miles to work 1way i filled up before heading to work, set my trip meter, drove no faster than 60 mph even thoe speedlimit 70 for 25 miles of the trip, never getting over 2k on tack, and not rushing, some up hills and downs so not a flat trip, cam back home , went to my moms and then to gas station was 108.5 mile trip, short yes and 95% highway, filled back up couldnt get more than 3.3 gallons in with it trying to come out filler tube so, back on full, this came out to 32.8 MPG amazing, I dont expect to get this all the time since i do a lot of intown driving also, but Im goona keep checking freguently, I have 3.73 gears. I think i can swing 25 pretty easy for all around, I am not gonna drive it hard and just take it easy.

Update: Now have 265/75/16 Pro Comp All terrains installed and I love them :)
Also installed 50 series Flow Master muffler, and not sure I want to spend the coin on TMH yet

Well this seems crazy, but did a mpg test this week, here are the details filled tank completey couldnt get anymore in, I drive 50 miles to work 1way i filled up before heading to work, set my trip meter, drove no faster than 60 mph even thoe speedlimit 70 for 25 miles of the trip, never getting over 2k on tack, and not rushing, some up hills and downs so not a flat trip, cam back home , went to my moms and then to gas station was 108.5 mile trip, short yes and 95% highway, filled back up couldnt get more than 3.3 gallons in with it trying to come out filler tube so, back on full, this came out to 32.8 MPG amazing, I dont expect to get this all the time since i do a lot of intown driving also, but Im goona keep checking freguently, I have 3.73 gears. I think i can swing 25 pretty easy for all around, I am not gonna drive it hard and just take it easy.

Something is going on. I don't see anyway in hell a 5.0 AWD is going to achieve damn near 33 mpg no matter how slow you drive.

Dan I know how to fill up tank and check mileage that was numbers I recieved and Like I said all Hwy. That was stock tires, the new tires appear to be hurting it, also I dont have time to always drive like that so havent had much chance to do more, but now different ball park with taller tires, but think switch from 3.73 to 4.10 should bring it back closer to stock. -I have noticed city driving and the urge to always get on it kills mileage.

also not awd, in 2wd 4406= 100% power input to rear tires which make huge diff.

Not sure what happened? That it needed rebuilt so soon, but hey I dont mind. My purple truck has same tranny with 200xxx miles unless someone got inside it before I got it when it was in an explorer? But its not near as smooth as my EB.

Side note love the 31s and look, but if all goes well on future job, might not need to DD this all the time and if thats the case, I will be hunting for 1ton setup, looking to add 10-12 in suspension, full witdh 1 tons, 38.5 Boggers, for some hard core, yet still careful offroading. :)

Back