My 98 xlt reverse lights do not work... any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 xlt reverse lights do not work... any ideas?

for some reason when i put my truck in reverse the reverse lights do not work, and i have no clue why i tested the bulbs off of the battery and both bulbs are good does anybody have any idea why they are not turning on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most likely cause would be your neutral safety switch (digital transmission range sensor) at least thats what it was when i noticed my reverse lights werent working. where it is will depend on the transmission you have. if you have the 5r55e transmission it will be on the left hand side of the transmission. autozone has them fairly cheap.

i second what ^ he said sounds like the neutral saftey switch just quit working

the wire to check is black with a purple stripe. if you can run power to that wire and they come on then its definitely your neutral safety switch did you check all the fuses?

try and start the truck in a gear, preferably drive- if it starts - nutral safety switch.... be ready to brake! haha

since you checked all the fuses it is then going to be your neutral safety switch.

Back