My blinkers only work occasionally. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My blinkers only work occasionally.

hammer24

Reaction score
City, State
san carlos
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. The blinkers have a tendency of working sometimes and sometimes they don't. The hazards work fine so I know it is now a fuze or light bulb issue. I am assuming it is a wiring issue. I'd like to try and if it myself if I can. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT. The blinkers have a tendency of working sometimes and sometimes they don't. The hazards work fine so I know it is now a fuze or light bulb issue. I am assuming it is a wiring issue. I'd like to try and if it myself if I can. Any suggestions?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You have your question posted in the sub forum for Explorer Related Polls. You would get a better response if you posted in the Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Sub Forum. Hopefully a moderator will move it for you.

Having said that, my guess is that it's one of the following:

Bad turn signal/hazard relay.

Stress on the wiring harness for the multifunction switch.

Bad multifunction switch.

Check out the thread for replacing the multifunction switch (MFS): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=279556

This will be helpful if you decide to replace the MFS. Post #34 discusses the stress on the wiring harness issue, and post #49 discusses the turn signal/hazard relay. Post #55 has a link to a thread about changing the turn signal/hazard relay.

Hope this helps out! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Stress on the wiring harness for the multifunction switch.

Bad multifunction switch.

This will be helpful if you decide to replace the MFS. Post #34 discusses the stress on the wiring harness issue, and post #49 discusses the turn signal/hazard relay. Post #55 has a link to a thread about changing the turn signal/hazard relay.

B]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have the same symptoms as "hammer 24", but it doesn't happen very often. Just a couple of times the turn signals stopped flashing. Just living with it for now, till it gets worse or unbearable. I read your post on replacing the MFS a while back and have it saved to my favorites tab. Thanks BR for another helpful post. :thumbsup: Good luck to your Pats VS Giants today, my Bills host the Jets. Great weather here for Nov, upper 60's and sunny.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have the same symptoms as "hammer 24", but it doesn't happen very often. Just a couple of times the turn signals stopped flashing. Just living with it for now, till it gets worse or unbearable. I read your post on replacing the MFS a while back and have it saved to my favorites tab. Thanks BR for another helpful post. :thumbsup: Good luck to your Pats VS Giants today, my Bills host the Jets. Great weather here for Nov, upper 60's and sunny.

In the thread for replacing the multifunction switch (MFS): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=279556, post #34 discusses the stress on the wiring harness issue. Basically follow the instructions for removing the MFS and check to see that the connector is fully seated and there is no strain on the wiring harness.

We get the Bills game here so I'll be watching that and rooting for the Bills!!! :D

In the thread for replacing the multifunction switch (MFS): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=279556, post #34 discusses the stress on the wiring harness issue. Basically follow the instructions for removing the MFS and check to see that the connector is fully seated and there is no strain on the wiring harness.

We get the Bills game here so I'll be watching that and rooting for the Bills!!! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for the addtl info. The Bills are done, too conservative, mistakes and some bad officiating (bs 42 yd pass interference call) at a critical time 3rd qtr. We get the Pats game here at 4pm, good luck!

Back