my clutch went bad, shops are asking over a thousand to replace it | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my clutch went bad, shops are asking over a thousand to replace it

true, iirc carquest rotors are raybestos, but i'd like to find auto zones sources prior to
oh ok! then in that case if the duralast is Luk, then it should be fine as luk is the OE supplier! good luk ;)

(sorry for all the luk jokes, its impossible not to make them! :D )
Just because one manufacturer makes it this month, doesn’t mean they’ll make the next set.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh ok! then in that case if the duralast is Luk, then it should be fine as luk is the OE supplier! good luk ;)

(sorry for all the luk jokes, its impossible not to make them! :D )
Ha. Funny. Luk sounds like it could be a Chinese brand, but it is actually German (Lamellen und Kupplungsbau).

You won’t get a luk clutch repset from Autozone for $101 lol

The only reason I will only install luk is not because I am some hard headed nimrod, no it’s because I have done 20-30
Clutches on rangers over the years… I am the guy the bad ones come to for repair when the other shops leave them hanging. Sure a cheap clutch can last, with a good driver.

There have been Many many failed slave cylinders over the years, they start leaking after weeks or months? Not the luk parts not normally. Most of the “bad clutches” I get are poor installation like re used the pilot bearing, cheap slave cylinder, re use the master cylinder, or still air trapped in system. Sucks to have to drop a trans again just weeks after you paid somebody else too or tried to diy and cheap out on the parts. Live and learn!

So in my shop if I am going to drop your 5’speed and do the clutch we are using luk parts. The luk clutch I use 99% of the time is for a sohc powered ranger(03 edge) they are over $150 for the rep set… even online… nothing like the $101 duralast piece… light years away in fact if you put them side by side and when you let out your clutch pedal you will know it was done right.

Cheapest duralast clutch from Autozone these days for a 03 ranger sohc is $198…. I priced it just now. The luk set is $150 on rockauto just fyi I’m glad to see that because last time I bought one these were
Like $300!! So the price has come down as the trucks get older.
I could not find the luk 07167 on Autozone website to compare prices…

I do use Autozone brake parts often because duralast brake parts (gold) are good and I love the warranty in the store, cv axles, wheel bearings for super duties, sometimes I use duralast when it makes sense

410, do you charge extra to clean up customer eff ups? Not changing the pilot bearing or slave is asking for a redo.

No I don’t do that no extra fees lol
I don’t do this for a living, it is my sick twisted hobby
The whole point of doing things here is to show how shops should treat people and how work should be done the first time around. I specialize in just ranger based trucks so there are no real surprises anymore we know what to expect and what parts work vs what doesn’t

That ranger clutch is stronger than the Ex clutch right?

That ranger clutch is stronger than the Ex clutch right?
i thought the SOHC clutch was stronger than the OHV clutch regardless of vehicl it came in... unelss the ranger clutch was updated after manual X was discontinued

Yes it’s the latest and last upgrade from luk for the m5od behind the sohc
2000-11 ranger w sohc
It could be the same clutch a sohc and 5 speed explorer uses I have never done a clutch in a 5 speed sohc explorer sport or trac?

People w 4.0 ohv and 6 bolt flywheel (90-97) require some simple machine work to run that larger pressure
Plate and driven disc
If you have 98-2000 ohv then you can simply
Buy a sohc flywheel and bolt it on

Strange if you lookup a 2000 explorer with a 4.0 sohc it gives you the 07139 part number if you lookup 02 sport w sohc it gives us the 167 part number…. Very strange
Regardless the luk clutch we want is the 07167

Not sure why a 2000 sport would use a different clutch then a 2002? But these are the things that had me just ordering one for a 03’edge to make sure to get the heavy duty pressure plate and the larger driven disc

Strange if you lookup a 2000 explorer with a 4.0 sohc it gives you the 07139 part number if you lookup 02 sport w sohc it gives us the 167 part number…. Very strange
Regardless the luk clutch we want is the 07167

Not sure why a 2000 sport would use a different clutch then a 2002? But these are the things that had me just ordering one for a 03’edge to make sure to get the heavy duty pressure plate and the larger driven disc
Wasn’t there one year that had a unique double disc setup? I seem to remember them not being made for awhile.

Wasn’t there one year that had a unique double disc setup? I seem to remember them not being made for awhile.
I think that's for the M5R1

I was gonna get the Luk clutch kit and slave cylinder, but with the labour from local shops they are saying its a 6 hour job and will cost over a thousand bucks, thats more than the car is worth!

Does that mean its time to get rid of this car? What should I do?

thanks
It's 2 Hours job and 200$ here in Moscow (Russia). The LUK clutch set I just by miracle got from the US for 310$+approx. 220$ delivery and taxes.

2 hours in a four wheel drive? How
Many steps are they skipping

I could do a clutch in two hours too in a rwd and rushing through it, but I would absolutely never do that

Damn, you are lucky enough to have one of the rare manuals! So jealous, I need to learn to drive stick. Anyhow, to me it would be worth saving just for the 4.0 OHV alone. How reliable is the thing? Rust, other failing parts, etc. as previously mentioned? I am doubtful you would run into any other dealbreaking issues with the chassis and powertrain, but that's just me. Also, how have you determined the value is under $1k? Fairly rusted Explorers are going for average $2100 where I'm at right now.

Others mentioned the difficulty of performing the job at home but it would be worth it if the overall condition of the vehicle permits.

2 hours in a four wheel drive? How
Many steps are they skipping

I could do a clutch in two hours too in a rwd and rushing through it, but I would absolutely never do that
sawzall is your friend ;) anything blockimg, cut it!!! then duct tape;););)just kidding

Back