my coil over ideas | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my coil over ideas

I wouldn't stress the nitrogen bottle, should be pretty cheap to have a shop charge them. Assuming you have another vehicle to drive?

I can just swap in the OEM struts with spacers on top so I keep the same suspension geometry/ride height while the coilovers are out, and have a driveable truck.

Compression feels good on mine, just has a little bit of "bucking" sensation on the rebound that I think adding some rebound damping would cancel out.

I'll have to see if there's a place in my area that can do the nitrogen charging for me, that would definitely save some money. If I go the DIY route I'll probably pick up the 70 and 90 stack kits, that will let me build any number of combinations in that range to fine tune things.

With that done, I think I'll have a good baseline to finish building my coilover rear setup and getting the valving sorted on that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the info going around this thread is more than any other coilover thread so far,, :D:D:D
funny how stuff gets shared in the weirdest spots,:eek::eek::eek:

the info going around this thread is more than any other coilover thread so far,, :D:D:D
funny how stuff gets shared in the weirdest spots,:eek::eek::eek:

agreed. and for me this was just an idea but i think i may need to actually try it

so i was browsing summit and stumbled on this and thought that maybe it could be modified to work as a coilover shock and go into the stock location. maybe at least change over the lower mount like the rcd kit did.

curious if the coilover guys think any different

I can just swap in the OEM struts with spacers on top so I keep the same suspension geometry/ride height while the coilovers are out, and have a driveable truck.

Compression feels good on mine, just has a little bit of "bucking" sensation on the rebound that I think adding some rebound damping would cancel out.

I'll have to see if there's a place in my area that can do the nitrogen charging for me, that would definitely save some money. If I go the DIY route I'll probably pick up the 70 and 90 stack kits, that will let me build any number of combinations in that range to fine tune things.

With that done, I think I'll have a good baseline to finish building my coilover rear setup and getting the valving sorted on that.

Any motorsports place can charge shocks. Motorcycle, snowmobile, truck, and maybe even bicycle.
What's the bucking sensation feel like and when's it happen?

Any motorsports place can charge shocks. Motorcycle, snowmobile, truck, and maybe even bicycle.
What's the bucking sensation feel like and when's it happen?

Ever been in an elevator that started moving upward abruptly from a stop? Kind of like that. Don't see it so much with potholes....it's more of an issue with coming off the crest of a small bump or small hill at 35+ mph.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the higher rate springs for the RCD coil overs? Mine have settled to where I'm pretty much sitting on the bump stops. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone point me in the direction of the higher rate springs for the RCD coil overs? Mine have settled to where I'm pretty much sitting on the bump stops. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a sample of what you need:
http://www.offroad-engineering.com/1000-250-0800.html

You can search summit racing also.
2.5 inch inside diameter springs.
Free length of 10 inches with no lift, or if you have a lift you probably need 12 inch.

You probably had a spring rate of 700, so go 750 or 800 on the new ones so they don't sag so bad.

I have a quote from pollyperformance for $650 shipped for this:
Fox Shocks 2.0" X 5" Emulsion Coil-over #980-04-000-A = Qty of 2
Fox "Long Rod Ends" are part #213-01-138-A (Series 2.0 w/ 5/8" Shaft) = Qty of 2.
Fox 1/2" Spacer #213-18-009-A = Qty of 8
Eibach ERS 10" long 2.5" I.D. Coil spring - Spring Rate: 800lb = Qty of 2

They will assemble and valve to my specs. So, what should my valving specs be?
I truly have no clue.

Compression valving?
Rebound Valving?

I would call up Polyperformance and talk to someone to get a recommendation. I've got a similar setup as far as the parts and am going to have mine revalved to 40/80, but there are likely some geometry and weight differences that may dictate something different for your setup. You also might try checking over at dezertrangers in the shock valving subforum and asking...those guys know their stuff.

I have a quote from pollyperformance for $650 shipped for this:
Fox Shocks 2.0" X 5" Emulsion Coil-over #980-04-000-A = Qty of 2
Fox "Long Rod Ends" are part #213-01-138-A (Series 2.0 w/ 5/8" Shaft) = Qty of 2.
Fox 1/2" Spacer #213-18-009-A = Qty of 8
Eibach ERS 10" long 2.5" I.D. Coil spring - Spring Rate: 800lb = Qty of 2

They will assemble and valve to my specs. So, what should my valving specs be?
I truly have no clue.

thanks Ronin!
This gets to be confusing stuff. The spring you are using, the weight of the truck, geometry of shock position, cough.. Makes my head hurt.

I'll head over there to do a search and ask questions on this.

Another question.
Did anyone ever measure shock length required with the brackets on and LCA at the bump stop (Im using stock height, or very close to it).

I'm trying to see if some King shocks will fit. After adding an extended eyelet, I think I'll need 14" bolt to bolt with suspension compressed.
edit: Found the answer.

Here it is, from GJarrett:
I installed the RCD brackets and noted the compressed/extended length at both ends of full CV travel - it was 11.0" compressed and 14.5" extended: only 3.5" of shock travel! Out at the wheel it's farther than that of course, but inboard at the shock mounts that's all it is.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217561&highlight=coilover

Back