coil over conversion (have searched) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coil over conversion (have searched)

I would like to know as well, my T-bars are definitely on their way out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ as previously stated i got them from RCD directly! they said they had to have the lowers fabricated by there metal work company, word for word what the guy at rcd told me. idk whats going on right now with my x, i was driving it today and it seems like the main seal started leaking oil pretty bad... :( i dont feel like pulling the darn tranny with 175k on it, because i feel like once i take it out i might as well get low mile / reman one and put that back in, or on the flip side i guess it could go for another 100K, that oil leak just sucks and most places want like 500$ to change a 10$ seal, and right now i dont have the time to do it myself so i will either wait untill i do have time, or mabey sell it and get a newer beater truck. decisions decisions.

Thanks for the info, I am going to do this conversion on my ex.

I know that this is going to sound redundant but is there anyway that anyone would be able to get the dimensions for the RCD coil over conversion brackets. I have been trying everything I can to get my hands on them but it looks like the only way I can is if I get them made.

the dimensions are floating around in one of the coil-over conversion threads.

this conversion seems like its pretty simple, is it actually just bolt on the two mounts and mount the shock? i feel like i'm definitely missing a step?

it is that easy, but the parts is the hard part,,

nobody makes them although they are simple parts to make,

this conversion seems like its pretty simple, is it actually just bolt on the two mounts and mount the shock? i feel like i'm definitely missing a step?

some welding is needed.
the upper mount piece needs to be welded to the stock shock tower.

but yeah, there's not much to it.

as corkey said, the hard part is sourcing the parts; or at least the mount parts.
shock body and coils aren't difficult to find.

ah thanks gavin thats what i wanted to hear! hopefully tgreene actually can fab up a set or at least get the specs on it, because the welding doesnt seem like an issue, no i'm curious as to how hard it would be to just fab up the mounts, the top mount looks quite simple but im not sure about the bottom piece, in the RCD kit did you have to weld the top mount or was it just a bolt on i couldn't tell if it looked welded on for added strength.. so as far as everyone is concerned with the shocks to use it would be the fox 2.0 emulsion shock? the link was posted on the second page of this thread, is this the most common shock to use? it seemed to not be very expensive either! this is becoming a very doable option i think!

the lower mount is just bolted to the lower control arm.
the upper shock mount is bolted in the stock location.
there are 2 additional pieces used as gussets that are welded to the shock tower for support.

DSC_1965.jpg

DSC_1935.jpg

I think I might just build my own brackets it does't look like that much trouble. it would be nice to be able to still order this kit but we do what we must do.

I think I might just build my own brackets it does't look like that much trouble. it would be nice to be able to still order this kit but we do what we must do.

The upper is a bit tricky. It has a curved back at the top, and you still need the machined spacer over it.

The lower has to have the inside welds ground so they don't interfere with the mount sitting flush against the lca. Make sure the mount tabs are high enough so the shock can move freely and not touch the bracket.

The upper is a bit tricky. It has a curved back at the top, and you still need the machined spacer over it.

The lower has to have the inside welds ground so they don't interfere with the mount sitting flush against the lca. Make sure the mount tabs are high enough so the shock can move freely and not touch the bracket.

It looks like you were one of the first to do this conversion. Would you mind answering a few questions?

1) Did you, or anyone else that you know of, post step-by-step photos of this RCD conversion? I've skimmed through the 29 pages of the conversion thread mentioned earlier, but only seen photos of completed trucks.

2) What company does RCD refer to?

3) Did you use the conversion to raise the ride height (lift) your truck too?

Thanks very much,

Lonnie

It looks like you were one of the first to do this conversion. Would you mind answering a few questions?

1) Did you, or anyone else that you know of, post step-by-step photos of this RCD conversion? I've skimmed through the 29 pages of the conversion thread mentioned earlier, but only seen photos of completed trucks.

2) What company does RCD refer to?

3) Did you use the conversion to raise the ride height (lift) your truck too?

Thanks very much,

Lonnie
It is so simple that there was never really a need to do a photo step by step how to. Lower bracket uses the 2 existing shock mount holes, and you drill a 3rd hole on the side of the LCA. 3 bolts & done. Upper is bolted to the top by placing the machined spacer on top of the bracket, and then the bolt/nut. With the back of the mount sitting flush to the shock tower, you mark & drill the 2 bolt holes. Bolt it on and done. Weld the braces half on the frame rail, and half on the tower. Plenty of pics floating around for that.

RCD is a maker of off road parts. Do a quick search for info about them. stopped making the brackets years ago. I suspect for liability reasons. They are after all changing the suspension dynamics, and not approved by Ford engineers I imagine.

Yes, the coil overs are used for a slight lift, just like the TT does. 4wd rigs can't lift more then 2" and 2wd more then 3" or so. They ride the best with no lift, and the LCA's flat across. This gives the best alignment possible. For those that use this for lift, the camber turns negative, and larger cams must be used. I have maxed my over sized cams out with 2" lift, and 35" aggressive tires. I have to install longer UCA's to compensate for this.

:salute:

[MENTION=87244]gmanpaint[/MENTION]
Thank you for the information. I found the thread for your truck from your signature as well. It looks like I have a little light reading reading to do. ;)

Cheers,

Lonnie

You're not really changing the "suspension dynamics" at all, just the method of suspending the vehicle. Geometry is the exact same and thus can be aligned the same as stock. I could potentially reproduce these brackets, or a variation of them, if someone could supply me with existing ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're not really changing the "suspension dynamics" at all, just the method of suspending the vehicle. Geometry is the exact same and thus can be aligned the same as stock. I could potentially reproduce these brackets, or a variation of them, if someone could supply me with existing ones.

The weight of the vehicle is now supported the top of the shock tower, with the coil over swap.

The weight of the vehicle is supported by the T-bars at the frame mounts and the LCA.

Call it what you will, it is not the same as the engineer's have configured. ;)

My alignment comments were only comparing this to the TT alignment with larger cams, and my own personal situation. I never said you can't align it.

Back