coil over conversion (have searched) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

coil over conversion (have searched)

haha absolutely man! im kinda bumping this thread because i dont want it to die! i should deff have them by the end of this week was what i was told, im currently on the hunt for coilovers, i think as of right now im doing the fox's but im seeing if i can find a decent set of used sway aways or kings, and then have them revalved / sprung for my truck, if not i will be contacting offroadwarehouse and ordering a set of fox's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea I keep checking craigslists to see if a decent and correct pair turns up, i saw two or three none, of the right length however. you should set up an account on the ranger station (therangerstation.com) they have a nice classifieds section full of parts. since rangers are explorers maybe a correct pair will turn up over there.

so how much did they cost?
who did you go through?
I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in these.
Hopefully the pictures resemble the actually parts you get.

yea tgreene92 i actually was already a member there, i used to have this back in the day..had her painted a BMW green i miss that truck!

P8230024.jpg

P8230015.jpg

it was under 200$ shipped, with all the brackets, frame gussets, and grade 8 hardware, the place i got them from had leftover stock and they agreed to send them to me, all they are is the rcd brackets, nothing speacial.

thats a nice ranger, im a big fan of all colors green(go figure). ill keep an eye out for any coilovers my way.

as promised! here are the pictures, of the brackets, spacers, frame gussets and all the hardware, the brackets were powdercoated a wrinkle finish.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

identical to mine, ,
if you have install questions let me know,, they are real easy to install,
but there is a process for the top bracket,to make sure they are in right,,

thanks corkey! im on the hunt for coilovers now i will most likely just end up ordering a new set of fox's from offroad warehouse i THINK this is the dimensions around what i am going to need

14" compressed, 20 5/8 extended.

http://offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/98/productID/112

im thinking something around this size will be suitable, im not terribly worried if the extended lenght is a little longer then i need, its actually not a bad thing, because i will be using limiting straps to prevent to much downtravel, and hurting the cv's...i will most likely do a 2.5 dia body, with a 3.0 spring, figured id do the resivour model to match my rear shocks.

do they offer them with a 90 elbow where the line comes out of the shock body ?

if they come out straight the upper arm could hit the line, maybe breaking it off,

as promised! here are the pictures, of the brackets, spacers, frame gussets and all the hardware, the brackets were powdercoated a wrinkle finish.

where'd you get 'em from? I'm sure people would like to know :p:

2.5 coilover? I've been trying to figure out if a 2.5 smooth body would fit in the stock upper arm (at full droop it gets pretty tight between the arm and the frame) and i've gotten some doubtful answers. You think it would fit?

a smooth body 2.5 will fit, but not a 2.5 or 3.0 coilover as the clearance on the frame is too tight,, and the coils will bind on the frame,,

a smooth body 2.5 will fit, but not a 2.5 or 3.0 coilover as the clearance on the frame is too tight,, and the coils will bind on the frame,,

Are you running 2.0 coilovers? Just curious, what's the O.D. of the spring?

i am running the 2.0 coilovers, my outer width of the coils are about 3.75 inches,

Thanks, sounds like there's actually plenty of room for a 2.5 smoothie.

so corkey you are running a 2.0 body? and yes i can have my shock builder that i use put any kind of different elbow on it, they ones in that link are just an example of what i would be possibly using. the more im thinking about this explorer build the more i wish the x was a 2wd ranger, i could afford a sick long travel front end and have alot more travel then with the 4x4, but oh well gotta work with what i got! plus my initial goal for this project was to "replace broken parts" how quickly it starts to get expensive!

back to my x...

i dont think i REALLY even need a resi' setup because i doubt i will ever get the shocks hot enough to even start to heat up the fluid and cause fade, but on the flip side i figure if im doing it do it right (well really right would be bypass shocks) i think my end product i should be able to nearly double my straight line off road speed, and if my ball joints become an issue or something i will get a uni-ball setup made by total chaos or brenthal down the road. while im in the process of doing the front end i feel as if i should do the back as well my stock springs are totally shot, and i think a set of deavers may have to be in order or just some custom arched ones from a local shop i will have to check out prices.

does anyone have any expirance with FOA coilovers? they are pretty darn cheap (non threaded body, clip style, limited valving) but really for this situation they may just do the job, and at 160$ per shock + springs i would be able to have a good set of coilovers for under 500$

http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_41&products_id=22

I know some people have had problems with FOAs, but i've heard that their quality control has been improving a lot, and they have really great customer service and will take care of any issue you may have. One thing i've heard is to open them up right away and put in fresh shock oil because some people have found metal shavings in their shocks. Other than that they're a good choice for the money. I think a 2.0 FOA coilover would be perfect for you.

yes i am running a Fox Emulsion 2.0, with an 800 lb/inch spring and 300 psi of nitrogen,, ,
but in the spring i am looking at doing a 700 lb/inch spring to lighten it up a bit, get more uptravel on bumps,, and make the ride softer in front a bit,,

Hey vinson can i get the demensions of all the parts for the conversion, or where you got them from. I think I am going to do this on mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I would like to know where you picked everything up as well, I've been dreaming of a coil-over setup on my explorer, and now I am ready :)

Back