My Completed Install w/ pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Completed Install w/ pics

i completed the install of my PIAA 2100X in the factory location and wired them to the factory switch. Thanks to everyone who helped my out! It took a bit of work but I finally figured out how to interface the existing wiring with the new relay. The switch is in fact controlling the ground. I wired the PIAA relay to the ground wire going to the factory relay. Then, I spliced the parking light wire to the relay control so I can run the lights when the low beams are off. Finally the relay gets its power from the battery.

Dead Link Removed

Thanks For Looking
Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

guess i did something wrong, how do you post pics?

heres the link instead

Dead Link Removed

Looks great....that's basically the setup I want to go with minus the lower fogs. Nice Job!

are those the driving or fog 2100x? i want to get the 2100x driving ones, but just want some feedback on how they light up.

Those are the 2100X Fog lights. I opted for them over the driving lights cause my PIAA 520's on the brush guard are driving lights..so, I wanted to keep a set of fogs somewhere.

I'm assuming the 2 will light up with the same type of color...a super white beam that has a bluish tint to it. The only difference between the 2 being the light pattern.

I saw in one of your other posts that you wanted to wire your fogs so they work indepently from the head lamp switch. It is pretty easy to do...all you have to do is find the relay control wire (on my 98..it was the blue/green wire) and wire it to a +12 volt switched ignition source. The reason I say switched is so when you turn your truck off, the lights will go off in case you forget to turn the switch off. The fog lamp switch will then work whenever the ignition is in the on position. For my hands free cell phone kit, I used a fuse tap on the interior fuse panel and tapped off of the rear blower motor fuse...give that a try for your lights, it should work.

Looks really good. I'm glad everything worked out. I'm sure you can tell a great difference from the stock fogs.
Later, Bill

Looks great, they really have a bright white colour. What was involved with the install, other then wiring, Custom brackets or anything like that.

I was going to get the 1500X fog lights but will now need to take a look at the 2100's.

Cartman,

the install wasn't too hard. I'm really happy with the 2100's. The light they give compared to the stock lights doesn't even compare.

as far as mounting..there was a little custom work involved. once you remove the stock lights off the brackets, you will notice a hole in the back of the bracket...this is where the wire harness use to come through for the stock lights. unfortunetly, to make the new lights fit, you have to cover this hold to mount the new brackets over it. I used 2 metal outlet covers from home depot for this....I painted them black and screwed them onto the back of the stock brackets to cover these holes. (Once you remove the stock lights, you will understand this all a lot better.)

Now once they new plates were mounted, I centered the new PIAA bracket to this and bolted it down and attached the lights. If you want, I'll take some pics of the install and post them, it wasnt too bad.

As for the wiring, that was a whole other story cause I wanted to use the new relay with the stock switch by the radio...I also rewired the relay so it operates independly of the headlights.

You won't be disappointed with these lights..I highly recommend them...feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Jon

I'd really like those pictures of the install. :D

Just have one other question for now, are you using PIAA headlight bulbs, if so is the colour the same as the fogs.

Thanks

Bump..... does anyone know what brand Zim's brushguard is?

Back