my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my diy 4.0 ohv turbo build

I flipped the driver side manifold so i can run a pipe under the bellhousing to Y with the outlet of the drivers side manifold there is where the turbo will be placed. Plan is low boost no more than 5 psi on a draw thru design with the recurculating bypass.
FORD40.jpg

i had built a temp down pipe to get the truck around during the build
ford403.jpg

runs good no leak from the manifold and today i pulled a garret T3 out of the wrecking yard for a few bucks
GARRETTT3.jpg

I have some digital photos for better quality ill download those when i get a chance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove mine down the road today and I almost had a heart attack with the BOV went off. I thought I blew coupler or something and I wasn't even half throttle.

Sounds good and props to you.

I blew a coupler off on mine during my first WOT pull when James came down to tune it. So there I was laying under my truck on the side of a busy highway putting it back on...

I actually have a silencer on my BOV because it is sooo loud.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

holy crap!

when that baby's done i want a sound clip or a video or something :D

man thats fricken awesome, I cant wait to see that Tbird Boosted. then you could race yourself if only you had a clone... or a twin haha

i changed the plugs today the thing is running even smoother now. pegs to 5psi before2000 rpms and stays there. no knocking or ping no hesitation and no tune or fuel upgrades

So, What exactly is your full mod list? Do I understnd that you have no form of fuel tuning, timing adjustment, intercooler, or recirculation, and it is actually running that well? What happens during WOT? Do you have a boost controller of some kind, and what type of wastegate are you running? It's an internal wastegate? Set to what Psi.? What info is the wideband giving you as far as A/F's? You were able to simply flip the headers? Does that require any drilling or is the bolt pattern fine? Are you recirculating the wastegate dump, and have you considered an external dump setup to speed up spool?

BTW, Hi!.... I'm Ray. And as you can tell I'm new here and have a lot of questions...Sorry bout that, but this is incredible to me. The piping looks a bit rough, but for a shadetree job like this, the proof is obvously in the puddin'....it runs!

So, What exactly is your full mod list? Do I understnd that you have no form of fuel tuning, timing adjustment, intercooler, or recirculation, and it is actually running that well? What happens during WOT? Do you have a boost controller of some kind, and what type of wastegate are you running? It's an internal wastegate? Set to what Psi.? What info is the wideband giving you as far as A/F's? You were able to simply flip the headers? Does that require any drilling or is the bolt pattern fine? Are you recirculating the wastegate dump, and have you considered an external dump setup to speed up spool?

BTW, Hi!.... I'm Ray. And as you can tell I'm new here and have a lot of questions...Sorry bout that, but this is incredible to me. The piping looks a bit rough, but for a shadetree job like this, the proof is obvously in the puddin'....it runs!

Well first of all i push things farther than most should. Second no there is no tune, fuel, intercooler, or recurculation, and the O2 isnt hooked up im just running open loop. At wot its a slug until the boost comes on then you feel like your actually moving;) its an internal gate that is set at 5psi and i do have a boost controler but its not needed since for saftey reasons im keeping a low 5psi max.
no wideban yet thats next on the list. As for the manifolds they bolt right up...except the ports are c shaped so there is a little than can be ported to improve flow but i didnt even bother since it was a small lip. As for an external wastegate there is no need. I build 5 psi before 2k even in 1st and it holds 5psi thru all revs.

Oh and i daily drive it more than 2 hours a day:D

As for the future heres a list of things that need to be done.
>reculculate the bov
>i have a 4.6l 65mm maf along with 30#ers and i need to purchase a bigger pump.
>tuned on a load bearing dyno
>eventually build a full exhaust(mine dumps into a magnaflow up front)
>hookup a wideban and a egt monitor
>i will still run 5psi max
>the motor was replaced 2 months ago with a good checked out yard motor eventually ill bolt on the revised aftermarket heads
>at 5psi an intercooler is not necesary and can be a restriction

ive been wondering how to do this i see you are using a t1 turbo off a old chrysler so it looks like anyway. if so that makes me happy cus i have 2 sitting in storage. so u meen to tell me you juust basically bolted a turbo on flipped some manifolds and boom done. stock everything?

actually there a .42/.48 T3 garret. i used one and flipped the manifolds. ive been running 5lbs no tune no fuel mods yet since i built it and i drive it 2+ hours a day(thats my work comute alone) i just recently went open DP and today im installing 30# injectors and soon ill be tuning it once i get the new heads

weldnice.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

and yesterday i hooked back up the EVAP system to feed preturbo

ok 30#ers are in wow less than half and hour swap that was prob my quickest with the 4.0! With no fuel pump upgrade or tuning and what a difference the sucker is no more lean especially on hill climbs. when you go into boost i can open up the throttle more and the sucker actually keeps pulling harder with no detonation or miss. the exhaust sounds way different it sounds maybe a little too rich. I need a wideban its on the list :D It truly heped

yeah its got a .48 a/r exhaust stage 1 exhaust wheel and 50trim compressor wheel i know that turbo wheel its off pre t2 chryslers. its a to3 series garret. chrysler had it on there t1 setup. i actually have 2 of them. 1 has a adapter for the inlet so it just goes staight out. those turbos are good to 28psi. also if you find the exhaust housing off a 88 300zx it bolts up to that turbo and jumps u up to a .63 a/r exhaust and gives you a removable wastegate plate and seperate downpipe. also allows you to run 3 inch exhaust right from the turbo. o yeah u might be able to get rid of some lag by drilling a hole in the little blank spot on the turbo outlet and thread it for a 1/8 npt fitting and put a 1/8 barb there run it directly to the wastegate can it should stay permanetly at 5psi. if i would have known i could run that turbo on bone stock 4.0 i would have done it

almost forgot where you run the oil supply for the turbo from and same with return? im wondering where to run the water inlet and return also.

actualy going with a .63 exhaust housing will hurt spool time. and fitting the compresor outlet would just prevent the wastegate from seeing vaccum. The wastegate has nothing to do with spool time just limited compressor speed to limit boost. The only way it would be hurting spool time if it was opening early due to a weak spring. My setup creates full boost before 2k. Today after the injector swap after reinstalling the vaccum hose onto the wastegate barb i failed to notice the hose was split. On a hard pull the truck kept strongly pulling harder and harder suddenly my mind was trying to figure out why and that the wastegate should have limited me to look at my gauge to read 13+psi. I fixed the hose and zip tied it so its good now. 5 psi is still fun but 10+ got my heart pumping. When i get a wideban and tuning(possible MSII) i plan to shoot for 15psi and tune it for that max level.

I bought a brass T and 1/4th double male threaded pipe from lowes for my feed (one outlet for the oil feed and the other for the oil pressure sender).
Then I had a comercial hose place compression fit the fittings onto some aeroquip hose i had. The drain is tapped into the lower driver side of the timing cover right above where it meets the pan. I just drilled tapped and screwed the barb in. I still need to hook up water but ill T that off the taps in the intake for the temp senders

i want to run a similar setup except turbo on opposite side and im thinking of running the crossover pipe close to the radiator support. then of course the intercooler in front of the radiator. what exhaust u run man. i was thinking 2.5 with mine no cat or muffler. should help alot with spool. then of course a boost controller set at 5 psi. i have a eagle talon bov laying around that i will put near the tb. then ill run a line from the outlet of the bov to the inlet of the turbo.

sounds good man. thats kinda what i did just threw parts together that i had lying around and my exhaust is a strait dump pipe (3' of 2.5" w/ 1 45* bend then about 2-3' of strait 3" then into a 3.5" turndown that dumps under the radiator its quieter than the video now since the mixture is so much richer it runs ansd accelerates 100x smoother now. I just put an manual boost controller today and fixed the pre turbo pipe for better flow into the compressor. I went screaming up and down the road at 13psi! It was a blast the trucks really came alive! :D No detonation im luvin it. I just turn down the controller to max flow to keep the 5psi limit when i need to rely on the truck more and i have cash set aside for a used good motor if need be. :thumbsup:
Theres another rewcent 4.0 ohv turbo thread to read from ill go find it for you (here it is below) im subscibed there and later maybe get some pics of my new upgrades.http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193557

Now i just have to hurry the @#$# up and get my car done
DSC03656.jpg

15 PSI

i was seeing 15psi my foot wasnt all the way to the floor and i was shifting at around 4k. Sounds crappy but its a V6 with no muffler what did u expect and i need to get this sucker tuned theres so much untapped potential. i also am considering learning how to tig and get working on a custom upper intake with a built in air-to-water IC.

so what is the max boost with that turbo that can be run on the bone stock explorer ive got a 93 everything is bone including fuel pump. id like a pic of your return setup for the oil if possibe. i was going to run a manual boost controller at 5psi and probably 2 or 3 step colder plugs

im running champion standard coppers. the max you can run on a 4.0ohv varies???? well without tuning i took it too 15psi and i think the compressor is about tapped out there. boost is just a measure of restriction if the motor was free flowing wit ha cam and ported heads the boost pressure would drop but power and torque would increase. 5psi is plenty enough for a safe level of performance if its tuned. If i were you id tune it. Mine isnt tuned even spinning tio 15 psi however im playing with fire. Ill get you some pics of the oil return later

30# injectors lol thats it. its not optimal at all needs alot of cool parts liek a bigger pump, fpr, ecu tune...I may go megasquirt

the other day a 03-04 cobra was getting on the freeway i was behind him when the light dropped he reved and off we went and i was suprised i thought i would have been alot further back and he was on it enough to get a little loose on the first shift

Back