yarrumsm

Reaction score
City, State
Pullman
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, Explorer XL
Hey guys,

Here is the start of my camping setup.

I wanted to make sure I could still have rear seats usable so I made the drawers 36" overall. This still fits behind the sets and the hatch. Once the sets are down I have a top piece of plywood that slides over on some supports. This gives me 72" of sleeping space. Essentially just pressing against the back of the driver's seat.

It was also designed around a small cooler we have. We will likely not be going out for more than a few days so it should hold enough cold food for the two of us. As for the rest of the gear, it is backpacking oriented so we don't need a lot of space.

I made it using 3/4" plywood my neighbor gave me (right!). He was moving and could not take it with him. For slides I used these lockers from amazon :
Amazon product ASIN B09L1FPF6S
To make things easier I also bought this nice pocket hold jig:
Amazon product ASIN B09DBKLGGW
To hold it down I removed the D-rings and used their bolting location. To do this I drilled two holes in some 1x" and bolted them in place, next I set the drawers on top and marked their location. Then I removed everything and attached the 1x"s to the bottom of the drawers. I put a 1/4" round over on the bottom of the 1x" to make it easier to slide in and out.

Below I have a video of putting it together and plans (use at your own risk).

Video:

hmmm... I have to insert images as a link

What's the best way to do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking nice!!! sites like photo bucket will host images which you can paste in

Welcome to the forum. If you join as a Elite member, you can upload photos directly to a post.

Nice work! I like the attention to the details like the folding wings.

I formerly looked into making something like that for my '99! Nice to see a full video on it! Well done!

Back