My Explorer rolled over 200,000 miles! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer rolled over 200,000 miles!

Cbyersh37

Reaction score
City, State
The Dalles, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
My x rolled over 200,000 miles about a month ago, my wife insisted that i get a new car so we got a 2011 ford escape. I tried selling the explorer but no one wants to pay over $400 for the thing so i'm stuck with it i guess... any suggestions on what to do with it? it still runs and drives great, has new rubber and many new parts on the engine that i have replaced over the last 5 years... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My x rolled over 200,000 miles about a month ago, my wife insisted that i get a new car so we got a 2011 ford escape. I tried selling the explorer but no one wants to pay over $400 for the thing so i'm stuck with it i guess... any suggestions on what to do with it? it still runs and drives great, has new rubber and many new parts on the engine that i have replaced over the last 5 years... :D

Keep driving it.....

well seeing as how we both have newer cars and the escape does better in the snow and it gets almost twice the gas mileage... i don't really want to.

If you wanted to sell the Explorer you may have some luck selling it on this forum. Especially if it is clean, Explorerholics are willing to pay for a good find.

I'm sitting in my 94 right now and it has 304,363 and it is paid off, it might only average 16 to 18 mpg but I don't have to pay for full coverage insurance plus have those car payments.

Mines sitting at 202k right now and still runs fine, only owned it since 192k, its my daily driver and i drive at least 40 miles a day. I paid $1,000 for mine, im sure if you really want/need to get rid of it, this forum is the place to go.

Start putting a lift on it...

It's your play toy now!

So get in the garage and watch your wife become jealous.

Good strategy! Taking note: Scare wife by screaming 200,000 MILES!! OH NO! Better buy you a car before this thing dies. Hah!

It's your play toy now!

So get in the garage and watch your wife become jealous.

Good strategy! Taking note: Scare wife by screaming 200,000 MILES!! OH NO! Better buy you a car before this thing dies. Hah!

Haha this is very true! I think you guys convinced me to keep it... any suggestions on what to upgrade?

Hey, that thing is in good shape. Keeper!

First things first; Clean that engine bay!

Use formaldehyde (embalming fluid) creepy, yes.

But, formaldehyde is the off-gas component in rubber that causes it to degrade. Especially oil soaked wiring.

Some car washes still use it as their engine degreaser. Go figure!

If you can't find one, a Taxidermy shop can get you some. Or even your hardware store.

Major life extender. Old school restoration trick.

Then go nuts!

Freshen up the suspension with a 2" lift and throw some good rubber on it.

For sure im going to get some cans of engine degreaser and clean it up, first im going to get rid of the front lights on the brush guard and paint the brush guard black. I was also thinking of switching rims to a set of second gen ones i have laying around.

What is the max tire size on this exploder?

What is the max tire size on this exploder?

It is very dependent on the shape of the suspension.

Some people can fit 30x9.50 on the stock 15x7 rims with the stock suspension while others can't (we couldn't).

It also depends on what you do with the truck. If you are going to disconnect your sway bars to get more travel when wheeling things are going to rub with 30x9.50 tires even with fresh stock suspension.

You can put on a short lift (f-150 spacers for the front and AAL or shackles for the rear) to get some more room while not breaking the bank (still need an alignment).

~Mark

Keep it. Mine reads almost 232k. I bought mine with 194k in Dec 2010. The biggest job I have done is head gaskets. Everything else was minor wear out stuff.

I will be keeping mine for parts, as I have found a 91 4x4 that needs a good front end.

Things to do?
5 speed swap if you have the auto trans.
Swap electric transfer case for a manual one.
Change interior colors if the red bothers you.

The list is endless.

Careful though once you start bettering what you have it becomes an addiction.

Things to do?
5 speed swap if you have the auto trans.

Man does everyone on here have a manual transmission fetish lol?...
i really haven't had any transmission issues, personally it would be too much work to put a stick in my truck. Not to mention i have never seen or heard from my mechanic friend of a clutch going out in an auto...
I can totally understand the manual transfer case though.

I don't know if it is a fetish, but more of a reliability deal. There's people on here with automatics and I guess they like them or don't mind the upkeep.

I choose to drive nothing but a manual because of past experiences.

I have the xtra trans cooler and i don't tow anything, i figure i will be fine. Honestly should i go to a pick and pull for a manual transfer case or should i buy a newer one? Money is a little tight right now, and i wasn't trying to be a d*** about the manual transmission...:) i've seen the thread about doing the swap and it looks like a nightmare.:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pick some things you would do different and get uo them when you can. I think we are all in the money is tight program.

I didn't take offense to you questioning the auto to manual swap. Some think about it and some dive in. I've read the thread to see what all it took, and it doesn't seem very overwhelming.

Junkyard for the manual tcase.

Back