• Register Today It's free!

My gas milage sucks!!!

RufusGentry

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, CO 80013
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 2WD Sport
Okay I got a 2D 94 explorer 2WD with 140k. I got it home from the auto auction, and the check engine light came on. So i took it to a shop and they told me the radiator had a leak in it. so I replaced the radiator and coolant sensor myself and saved a few busks. The damn light still came on and I was getting 8-11 mpg.
I took it to my boss,(who owns a shop) and it said the coolant sensor was bad. He also told me to change the 02 sensor. I got went to change the 02 sensor, and I saw that the left one wasn't pluged in. I pluged it in, and now the light is off, but the gas milage is now 11-13mpg.
What is the usual mileage for a 94 explorer with a
5-speed??
:frustrate :shoot:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 99 with the 5.0L in it and i average about 13-14mpg. There are people on this site that claim to get around 20mpg but i dont see that happening. There was one week that i was on vacation from school so i was in no rush to go anywhere so i just tapped the gas everywhere i went and i only got 14mpg.

My 92 with 33's gets 18-20:confused:

my dad has a stock '94 auto and we get 10-11 mpg city. your not the only one with bad gas mileage. soon its going to go in for a tune up and we'll see what happens then. new plugs, wires, maybe even new o2 sensors. hopefully i'll see an improvment.

Gas Mileage

When I bought my 95/Auto/Sport in 96 it was getting 18-20mpg. With the lift, bigger heavier tires and rims, its getting 11-13 now. Same stock 3.73 gears and a locker in the rear. I tried Mobil 1, a K&N filter, and a Flowmaster with 2.5" exaust but that only helped power, not mileage.
Rick

I have a '92 XLT with 31's and I get around 18-20 mpg. I just added a KKM and 2 1/2" exhaust, so I don't know what it is now if it changed at all.

i have a 91 2 door with a 4.0 auto that gets 11/13:(. its completely stock. need help also. any suggestions?

My SOHC is gettin about 18MPG hwy. and 16 city, i just got a new airbox and drilled the holes in the right places rather than just puttin random holes in it like last time...the difference is night and day as far as mileage goes.

I have a '91 Sport 4x4 with the 5-speed and 92000 miles and I consistanly get 20-21 highway and 16-17 city driving. I have the stock sized tires and just about everything is stock on it. I haven't really done anything special to my Ex, just change the fluids when need be and keep up with the maintenence.

hey people. my parents just bought me a '99 eddie bauer with the sohc, 4.10 LS, and 255/70/16 tires. if i drive easy, what mileage should i expect? thanks for any help.

-ken :usa:

ive got a 98 5.0 and i get around 10 miles to the gallon. it definetely sucks to go through that much gas but ive only got a year left till i get my f250 or a4 so i guess i can stick it. my dads 99 limited gets like 23 mpg but he also is an old man... haha

My 93 2wd gets about 13-16 town and and 18-21 highway and it's running good right now. rc

My 91 sport gets between 13 and 15 and its beginning to piss me off. I'm thinking about trying out Zmax or a tornado. Anyone use either of these products?

tornado is a waste of money, dont bother. i havent heard anything on z-max but i wouldn't ecpect much.

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
I have a 99 with the 5.0L in it and i average about 13-14mpg. There are people on this site that claim to get around 20mpg but i dont see that happening. There was one week that i was on vacation from school so i was in no rush to go anywhere so i just tapped the gas everywhere i went and i only got 14mpg.

I get 17 city and 19 city/hwy combined with a best of 22 on a long trip. Mine is a 2 wheel drive with 3.73 gears. I noticed the mpg increase thanks to my exhaust and synthetic motor oil. I definately reccomend doing these mods.

Two weeks ago i changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic 5-30 and it did absolutly nothing to my gas millage. I am getting a catback gibson exhaust within the next month but i am not expecting anything as far as gas millage increase. None of the mods i have done made a difference .... I got the KKM .. did nothing .... got the synthetic ... did nothing ... now the the exhaust i just want a little more rumble when i hit the gas. With the synthetic and the KKM i will admit i was dissapointed when my millage didnt increase but with the exhaust i know for a fact it wont increase .... I have the AWD so i dont know if that factors into our difference in MPG.

Gary (AgExplorer) said that synthetic may take a little while to really see results. Try a couple changes before you come to a conclusion. It takes awhile to build muscle, maybe the same with better mileage. Do you keep a good log of city/hwy driving, technique, weather etc.. or at least pay attention to it? I snagged some better mileage by really slowing down my starts and driving like I wanted better mileage. No fun, but it works.

yes i have been logging it since i bought my truck .... not with every gas fillup but with most. In the winter i was averaging a little less i would imagine because of letting it warm up in the morning and driving through snow there is more resistance .... but on my best tank i belive it was around 16 MPG but that was completely highway but i was going up to vermont so it was uphill the whole way. I dont remember what i got on the way home which was all downhill but i know i wasted about 1/4 tank less than i did driving up there.

Cities vary from state to state. Where i live in the city seems like every 50 feet there is a stoplight and im always stuck in some kind of traffic. I have also been to cities where it was just a long main road with a street light about every 2 miles.

I dont doubt that any of these guys are getting what they claim. I just think that because of my driving situation i will never get much better than 14MPG. Even though i didnt notice i difference in millage i think i am still going to stick with Mobil 1 ... simply because i was paying Goodyear about 17 bucks for a regular oil change and now for a couple of dollars more i can do the change myself with synthetic oil.

I am not sure i am going to have to look in my manual again but i am almost positive that my motorcycle manual actually specifies synthetic oil. Im sure there must be a reason for it. But then again i could have read it wrong.

It`s all about your driving style

Hi everyone,

It`s all about your driving style! If drive slow and don`t push the gaspedal soft you`ll get a better gasmilage!
A friend of my father bought a `93 4dr 4wd stock and his gasmilage is about 15 - 17 mpg! He never hit the gaspedal hard and never drove more than 80 mph. I`m driving typical german and never had a better gasmilage than 14 mpg with my stock Xplorer! After my mods like lift and tires my gasmilage went down to 11 - 13 mpg! But you can be happy after mods like exhaust, chip, airfilter and things like this cause you have more power with the same gasmilage! Just make the test!
Drive "slow" and don`t push the gaspedal to hard(no kickdowns) after 2 or 3 gasstation stops calculat again!

And don`t cry like with your low gas prices! Here in Germany you had to pay round about 4$ per gallon!

Please let me know it works for you! With every car I try it the gasmilage get better!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm joining the club here. My gas mileage is around 13 mpg city. Mind you that my truck is stock. No big tires or lifts. I don't really have a lead foot because when I accelerate, the tach goes up to about 3000rpm and the tranny shifts gear. I don't know why it's so bad. Any ideas?

Back