alexswain

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 FE XLT V8
Hi-

I was wondering if anyone could guestimate what may be causing the following:

About a week or two ago I started noticing that my car wasn't turning over immediately. It has been intermittent ever since. Sometimes starting immediately, sometimes taking several "cranks". Today I took my car to the store (only a few miles), came back, didn't drive it for about 3-4 hours and then went to start it up at about 2pm. It wouldn't go.

The car was stalling out because it wouldn't idle at all. The only way to even keep the car running was to keep my foot on the gas. If I let off it would eventually stall out.

So I hop on my bike and go run errands. I come back two hours later after I've already setup a tow to the dealership, right when the tow truck arrives and just out of *praying* I start the car and it fires right up, doesn't stall, and idles nicely at around 1KRPM (as usual).

So here are my two thoughts on the problem(s):

#1) clogged fuel line

#2) a bad sensor somewhere (bad or dying slowly)

#3) unlikely but I guess possible (bad gas).

The reason why I even say bad gas was because I recently filled up at a Ma/Pa gas station- first time and honestly was a little sketchy on the place.

Any other thoughts, ideas? Air filter? Plugs?

Car has 58K and has been through its last maintenance. Air filter is under 8K miles and well..thats about all I can say.. :)

Thanks for any tips/advice ..I am really trying to wait on taking the car to the dealership because they are over one week backlogged (just to LOOK at the car) and I need it for work, play, etc so I'm going to take the risk that it'll start in the morning.

Try to change the fuel filter. At almost 60k mi, you're due.

have the same problem with ours. Only seems to happen to me. You have to put you foot on the gas to get it to start. Almost seems like its carbed and you don't use the choke. after it starts and runs for a few seconds and blows some blue smoke, it'll run fine.

Does it ever make an intermittent humming sound at idle/coasting? Is the motor turning over as fast when you try and start it?

Back