My "reliable" 96 strikes again... Regear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My "reliable" 96 strikes again... Regear?

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Well guys, big surprise my 96 let me down again. Just lost the right rear wheel bearing. It's on borrowed time and making noise/popping and the wheel is a hair loose. So the question poses itself. Do I just throw 2 new axle bearings and seals in and call it a day or do I take this "opportunity" to regear?

My truck only has 147k miles so I don't think my axles are in bad shape and fluids have been changed out in both so they have been maintained. Apparently that didn't matter though. Current axle setup is the 3.73 LSD and I'm running 32x11.50x15 6 plys. Is it worth grabbing 2 axles from a junkyard and swapping to 4.10's? Problem is I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to find a low mile 4.10 LSD geared truck, they probably all have higher miles.

Also what years will work? Does it have to be a 96-97 V8 or will any 96-01 V8 work? I know it has to be a V8 so I have all the hookups for traction bars and the damper on the rear end. I don't think the V6 trucks had those brackets and the front axles were CAD axles on some no??? Was ABS the same on all axles etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So 95/96 are CAD front axle. I also have a 96 and am running a 410 LSD from a 99 sport, the rear sensor connector was the same for me. Our speed sensor in in the transfer case tail shaft (4.0, not sure on AWD) so I would have to say any 8.8 from 95-02 will work. I say 02 because of the sports and sport tracs that use the 8.8, most of which I have seen with 16" wheels have 410s. The axle code you are looking for is D2, 410 LSD. The sport diffs will not have the traction bar mounts on them and I am thinking for some reason the dampner bracket bolts on? not sure though. As far as low miles, good luck!
If it were me I would grab 2 axle saver bearings and put them in until I found a set of 410s to swap or accumulated the parts for the regear. I think I noticed in one of your posts you are in Jersey, I am also and would be able to help in your search or repairs if needed.

96 should have the CAD front,, but any will fit,, just have to plug the lines to the CAD pot,,

as for high mile,, low mile,,, i think it's immaterial, seeing as most people never used the 4x4 that much really,
just getting the gears you need will be big

you'll get better gas mileage, that'll save you money for other parts,, :)

96 should have the CAD front,, but any will fit,, just have to plug the lines to the CAD pot,,

as for high mile,, low mile,,, i think it's immaterial, seeing as most people never used the 4x4 that much really,
just getting the gears you need will be big

you'll get better gas mileage, that'll save you money for other parts,, :)

Doesn't the front diff still turn even with 4x4 off on most trucks?

So 95/96 are CAD front axle. I also have a 96 and am running a 410 LSD from a 99 sport, the rear sensor connector was the same for me. Our speed sensor in in the transfer case tail shaft (4.0, not sure on AWD) so I would have to say any 8.8 from 95-02 will work. I say 02 because of the sports and sport tracs that use the 8.8, most of which I have seen with 16" wheels have 410s. The axle code you are looking for is D2, 410 LSD. The sport diffs will not have the traction bar mounts on them and I am thinking for some reason the dampner bracket bolts on? not sure though. As far as low miles, good luck!
If it were me I would grab 2 axle saver bearings and put them in until I found a set of 410s to swap or accumulated the parts for the regear. I think I noticed in one of your posts you are in Jersey, I am also and would be able to help in your search or repairs if needed.

Yup I'm in the dirty Jerz. I'm really hoping to figure out the issue with my engine before I have to deal with this bearing but I'm worried it's going to go south pretty quick. Where in Jersey are you? I'm up near Clinton area.

the diff turns as they are live axles,, but no force from being driven

the pressure is different, and less wearing then being driven,

both my explorers have well over 200 k on them without an issue,, most of it highway driving,, so confidence in getting a factory setup unit would be very high,,
look at the numbers of these sold, , and the fact that daily normal use doesn't seem to break them very often,, just us guys that use them harder,,

Yup I'm in the dirty Jerz. I'm really hoping to figure out the issue with my engine before I have to deal with this bearing but I'm worried it's going to go south pretty quick. Where in Jersey are you? I'm up near Clinton area.

Down south near Atco raceway, Hammonton NJ. What kind of engine issue are you having? I've been a Ford tech for a few years, LOL! With 32s and the wheel being loose already I wouldnt drive it around the block to be honest:) you risk damaging the axle and more importantly yourself if it comes apart

Down south near Atco raceway, Hammonton NJ. What kind of engine issue are you having? I've been a Ford tech for a few years, LOL! With 32s and the wheel being loose already I wouldnt drive it around the block to be honest:) you risk damaging the axle and more importantly yourself if it comes apart

You might be sorry you asked but here you go lol:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423495

I'll shoot you a PM with some details so you don't have to read a years worth of posts. I'm slowly figuring things out but it's really starting to get on my nerves.

On a side note guys I don't think a CAD axle will fit my truck since it's a 5.0. I think the oil pan gets in the way.

Yea only the selectable transfer cases had the CAD

I'm leaning toward grabbing 2 4.10 axles this weekend. 4.10 LSD but I want to keep my traction bars so have to find a rear from a truck that has them. I couldn't care less about the damper as I don't have one now anyway but I do want the traction bars.

I'm kicking myself now because there were a bunch of 4.10 LSD trucks in a local yard near me a few months back but I said na, my axles are in good shape don't create more unnecessary work. I even pulled one of the 3.73 rears apart to get the carrier for my Mustang. Could have just swapped axles to my 96 and used the carrier out of my 96 for the stang.:mad:

Is your 97 a 5.0 truck by chance?

I have a 01 5.0 and a 97 sport base 4.0 pushrod, and I'm not sure you will find a 410 LSD with traction bar mounts? I think only the 5.0 trucks had those and I'm pretty sure they were all 373, might be some cut and weld in your future!

I'm leaning toward grabbing 2 4.10 axles this weekend. 4.10 LSD but I want to keep my traction bars so have to find a rear from a truck that has them. I couldn't care less about the damper as I don't have one now anyway but I do want the traction bars.

I'm kicking myself now because there were a bunch of 4.10 LSD trucks in a local yard near me a few months back but I said na, my axles are in good shape don't create more unnecessary work. I even pulled one of the 3.73 rears apart to get the carrier for my Mustang. Could have just swapped axles to my 96 and used the carrier out of my 96 for the stang.:mad:

If you have trouble finding a set let me know, I can help you there but don't want to reveal my sources yet! LOL!

I have a 01 5.0 and a 97 sport base 4.0 pushrod, and I'm not sure you will find a 410 LSD with traction bar mounts? I think only the 5.0 trucks had those and I'm pretty sure they were all 373, might be some cut and weld in your future!

The 5.0's never came with 4.10's? I thought that was an option.

You have a line on a set of 4.10 axles? How much and do you know they're good? The truck is my only vehicle so I have to get this hunk of junk fixed whether it be with 4.10 axles or new bearings in my 3.73 axle.

If you have to go crazy getting pricing don't bother. If the V6 trucks were the only ones that had 4.10's I think I should just do the bearings. 3.73's are a good mix for MPG vs. power. Plus I can keep my traction bars attached and not have to bother swapping all this garbage around. I have bigger fish to fry. Especially when I can get new bearings and seals for like 40 bucks tops. Once I fix my damn engine I'll probably have enough power with the 3.73's to be happy.

Like I said, if its your DD then I would grab some axle savers and be done until I found the other axles. Also,it may have been an option but I have never seen a 410 5.0 truck

Like I said, if its your DD then I would grab some axle savers and be done until I found the other axles. Also,it may have been an option but I have never seen a 410 5.0 truck

I think you're right, V8's never came with 4.10's I just did some research. You learn something new everyday.

Anyway I just did that; went to NAPA and got the repair bearings since they had them in stock. Screw it I have to get this thing fixed before something happens nor do I have time to play around swapping axles. I'm just keeping the 3.73's, this thing doesn't deserve 4.10's. The 3.73's do ok anyway, it's not like 3.73's are horrible gears to have with 32's. Hell my 99 had 35's with 3.73's haha.

Way I see it nice as 4.10's would be, my 99 F-150 came with factory 3.55's and that was an upgrade from the 3.27's and it came factory with 32's on it. Thing also weighs 1000 lbs more than my ex and has a 4.6 with the same trans as my ex. So I still have some gear and 1000 lbs on the 150 and around the same power once I get this engine fixed.

As was recently said you won't find a 4.10 5.0 truck. Either get a rear and weld on the mounts or install an lsd carrier

As was recently said you won't find a 4.10 5.0 truck. Either get a rear and weld on the mounts or install an lsd carrier

Yeah I'm not going to bother, this truck isn't worth my time. I just put the repair bearings on this weekend and now the seal is riding on the pitted part of the axle so I'm sure that's going to leak now.

Am I missing something here?
Can't you fit 4.10 gears into your 3.73 housing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I missing something here?
Can't you fit 4.10 gears into your 3.73 housing?

Yes but that requires tools and knowledge the op may not possess. It's also quite a bit more work. You can't just bolt in new gears and run it

Back