My V8 Conversion expense Report | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My V8 Conversion expense Report

Since a lot of people out there are interested in how much money it takes to convert your 91-95 Explorer to a V8, I decided to put up the numbers on how much I spent.....so far.

Luckily I was able to find a person who had done this same conversion in his 94 Explorer. Unluckly for him, he got T-boned in an accident with his explorer. He decided to part out EVERYTHING to do the conversion in an Explorer, and post the parts on THIS site. (For sale board) (everything except the engine)

Here is the parts I have bought and how much $$$$ I have put in to this project so far.

1) 1992 5.0L High Output EFI V8 w/ 65K miles (from salvage yard)
2) AOD tranny, freshly rebuilt,new torque converter, with AOD to BW1350 A.A. Adapter installed and tranny mount
4) Motor Mounts (4WD)
5) Remote Oil Filter
6) A.A. 302 Hedders (for V8 explorer)
7.) Complete 3inch exhaust system from front to back, including y-pipe, Catalytic, Muffler.
-------------:D
------------>$1,590.00 so far (for all of the above items. (The engine cost $700, and the tranny and the conversion items cost me $890)

I think I have done pretty good so far. All this stuff is sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in the Explorer. I still have a lot of parts I need, and a whole lot of questions to ask too. I figure it will be a couple of months before I dive in to this project. By the time I am done with this project I hope to have created a reliable, powerfull v8 explorer with a low mileage engine.....and all for AROUND $2,500 dollars. (My project Goal is for expenses to be under $2,500)

I still have to buy:
1.) Cooling fan ( Mark VI $40)
2.) Radiator (Going to try and find a used one that will fit an explorer....with some modification. I may break down and buy a $300 one.
3. Fuel Line hoses.
4.TV linkage cable for AOD to EFI V8
5.B&M shifter w/ AOD KIT $200+
6. Gaskets for exhaust
7.Misc parts...air pump, hoses, brackets, etc..
----------------------------------------------
Hope this helps. I will be doing this myself, so there will be no labor charges. My local salvage yard gives me GOOD deals on everything....probably because they know I'll come back.:) My 4.0L V6 and A4LD auto tranny will also be for sale after my conversion, which will pay for some of the expenses of my V8 conversion.

I am open to input, tell me what you think.
(for example; what am I forgetting?)

Al Seybold
asp84@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I guess you can use your old transfer case even with a new engine and AOD transmission right?

That is really impressive you have everything down that cheap. The 4.0L in my '91 is ticking so bad I'm sure it will go out some time soon. I'd love to replace it with a 302. And besides, I'm tired of listening to it.
This is the kind of info I've been looking for. It makes it real easy to justify the expense. Considering the cost to just yank out the old engine and rebuild it, instead of putting in a 302.
What's your time frame you think? From actually starting to pull the old engine out and turning over the new one?

I'd be amazed to see it turn out that cheap. Personally, I couldn't put a motor w/ 65k in my truck. I'd have to rebuild it. Do the work now, and not have to worry later. Them parts you listed that ya don't have will add up quickly, unless you pull some incredible discounts from this junk yard. Also, you have no worries about using alot of stuff from the junk yard since ya don't know the history?
Pete

attn RFR2212: On an engine with 65K, I DO plan to replace the rear main seal, and valve cover gaskets. But I have no major plans for an engine rebuild. I do not offroad and do not race my Explorer. The ONLY thing I got from the Salvage yard so far, is the engine. (it is a reputable and very clean yard, with a warranty on the engine.)(I know the guys there, and am usually able to make good deals) All of the other conversion parts were given to me by the guy who sold me the tranny. All of the conversion parts listed above were previously installed in a 1994 4DR explorer. The parts are all fromm Advance Adapters.

Raceit: The Advance adapter allows me to keep my existing BW1350 TC, and puts it in the same position, so I can keep my drivelines the same! My timeline is this: spend two months gathering every part I need, ask as many questions as I can, figure out exactly what wiring connections I need to make. I already have the Complete Custom exhaust system from headers to Muffler, and the AA TC adapter and shaft is already installed on my AOD tranny. From start to finish, I HOPE to do it within 7-9days.

My '91 4.0L is a very strong runner. Yes it does tick a little, and it leaks as if there is no rear main seal or valve cover gaskets. :( (there is so much oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets on to the exhaust manifold that I can smell the oil burning when the vehicle is stopped. The only thing I am worried about is the A4LD tranny. At 150K it clunks loudly when I put it in to gear from park!:(

-Feel free to comment on my operation!

Wiring?

How about the cost of the harness and the computer/mass air sensor ?

Sandy....
I already have the Mass Air Sensor, and the EFI engine harness. I am just waiting for the Computer and the main wiring harness. (which I will get for FREE) All of the wiring was worked in to the Engine Deal ($700) The salvage yard I went to had already given away the harness for my engine. So I am waiting for them to get an available car in that has the appropriate wiring.
I am in no rush, I made sure to work in all the wiring and computer equipment as part of the deal!

Good enough, good luck.

Just got some questions

I have a 89 mustang 5.0 that was totaled, but the engine is still in great working order. I thought I could put in my explorer. I just wanted to know what I use from the mustang. This is what I think I need to use . The motor, wiring harness, computer, and all the electronic on the motor. Can I use the manual trans too and if I can will it work with the t-case. I quess the main question is, I have this mustang, what can I use off it and what else do I need to get. Thanks Joshua :D :bounce:

Just wondering, will the 302 work with a M5 transmission?

If your talking about the Mazda 5sp Ranger/Explorer transmission, No it will not. The Mazda is a one piece light duty tranny with no adapter to mate to the 302. (the A4LD will aslo not work)

The guy who did the work on my tranny is confident you can fit a V8 on the Mazda 5, but I thought I had read that it could not handle the torque.

How about with the SOHC or another V8?

So you were talking about the Mazda. You are right, the Mazda would be marginal when holding up to the 5.0 torque. No, you cannot mate it to the 5.0. There is no such conversion. I Gurantee you. If there was such a adapter, you would probably here a lot of people talking about it.

I am looking to put a 5.0L V-8 in my 2001 Explorer Sport. Is this possible, and about how much would it cost to get done? If I do this, will my Explorer be any less reliable (i.e. on road trips)?

Sure, anything's possible. With your truck the electronics are the thing to worry about. Also emissions regulations need to be considered. And no, It will not be as reliable.

lordsatoris: anything is possible. You might just want to trade in your explorer for one that has a V8 as an factory option. (it would be more economical) A 2001 would be a wirey mess to work with!!) Plus, I don't know if the laws limit doing engine swaps in vehicles that are brand new! (2001)

Jason_25: What do you mean, by saying it won't be more reliable? What is that based on? I am planning to put a 1992 5.0 H.O. & AOD fullsize tranny in my 91 Explorer. My explorer is a mostly on road vehicle and will not be driven as a race vehicle. After the converting, I expect better reliability!!! and gas mileage!! ( at 152K miles, I have a old leaking, tapping 4.0 with a loud clunking, loose A4LD transmission!!)

Al
asp84@earthlink.net

Originally posted by asp84
lordsatoris: anything is possible. You might just want to trade in your explorer for one that has a V8 as an factory option. (it would be more economical) A 2001 would be a wirey mess to work with!!) Plus, I don't know if the laws limit doing engine swaps in vehicles that are brand new! (2001)

Jason_25: What do you mean, by saying it won't be more reliable? What is that based on? I am planning to put a 1992 5.0 H.O. & AOD fullsize tranny in my 91 Explorer. My explorer is a mostly on road vehicle and will not be driven as a race vehicle. After the converting, I expect better reliability!!! and gas mileage!! ( at 152K miles, I have a old leaking, tapping 4.0 with a loud clunking, loose A4LD transmission!!)

Al
asp84@earthlink.net

Yes, no doubt yours will be more reliable. But his won't. He already has a new, reliable, powerful, and refined engine. Swapping another motor in there is a bad idea.

Jason_25-
I agree with you there....if he were to put an older 5.0, yes it would not be as reliable. like I said, he should just get another new explorer that has a new V8. Even if the laws allowed it, it would also decrease the value of the car...?

If you are looking for a new radiator, go to (dead links) prices and quick service...

I can't see a conversion being any less reliable unless it wasn't done correctly.....EFI and other electronics stable the powertrain management on these vehicles...I've run a converted Ranger for over 3 years and have built Ranger and Exploder V8's and they all run better than before with the v6 in them....

Legally, the laws in most areas allow for same year or newer engines in any platform and the necessity to pass emission inspection[visual and/or sniffer]...As far as the value, what's the value in a v6 Ex with a beat to death engine VS. a running V8 conversion that is easier on fuel and strains less towing itself as well as a trailer?
I know, for a fact, that a V8 conversion will bring more value to the vehicle as I had the 84 Ranger with a stroked 351 V8 boned by a red light runner...That truck was worth 1200 tops until the insurance co. saw it has been converted...They made their first offer at 5k and I bought the salvage back for 350.......

Just my 2 cents here....

Back