My X EATS Tires... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My X EATS Tires...

...and drinks gas to wash them down :fire: !

Anyone else have a similar "seemingly excessive" tire wear problem?

Bought the X in Nov. of '01 :thumbsup: . Came equipped with basic Michelins. Aug. '02 i bought GY Forteras at Ford (cheaper than anywhere else, but $500+ nonetheless) :thumbsup: . Loved the tires - looked good, performed well, but within a year, those were done for :thumbdwn: . Partly due to an alignment issue, but worn pretty badly everywhere on the tires.

Invested $300+ on a set of Kelly Safari AWRs in '03, some 18,000 miles ago. I still have a tiny alignment issue, possibly from a slightly bent frame, so there is some inner tire wear on a couple of the tires, not much though. I believe they're rated similarly to GYs in regards to treadwear. There seems to be NO tread left :fire:

I was at Dunn Tire (where i bought the Kelly's) yesterday to get a flat repaired and asked them about the seemingly excessive wear (minus the obvious inner wear b/c i know y that is). I think they said that there's about 6/32 left at common "good" points on all tires. I've got horrible traction in the snow. When i asked the tech if he thought it was excessive, he said it was normal and compared it to a pencil eraser...At first, it wears in chunks, but they would probably last another 10,000 miles on the 6/32 that's left. Meanwhile, i have NO traction in the snow when in 2wd.

I've got an OEM GY Wrangler RT/S on the spare with only emergency use, although it looks like crap from sitting under the truck for 9 Northeastern years - i think that is 27 in "southern/southwestern" years ;) . I am considering swapping the spare onto a good rim and buying a new GY to match, until i can afford the other 2. Unless anyone else has one (or more) they're getting rid of?

Bad luck or just the way it is?

What kind of shape are your tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks and suspension bushings in?
What tire pressure do you run?

One tie rod end & 4 balljoints are new MOOG parts - installed immediately AFTER i chewed through the Forteras - I've learned a TON about maintenance since then, primarily thanks to y'all at EF.

Shocks could possibly be OEM, but i haven't noticed any excessive bounce. They do seem rather stiff, though, and i'd like a bit more "cushion." I am (was) hoping to lower the X a little (TT & blocks) and run the Edelbrock lowered X shocks, but i've got bigger fish to fry before i get to that point (i.e. 10mpg).

Control arm bushings are new at both sides, not sure about swaybar or others. I know the swaybar linkage was a recall repair done just after i bought the X.

I usually run the tires around 34 +/-, and went to 40 only recently to "help" the MPG issue that i've got.

where are they wearing? Inside, outside, middle?

with 153+ Miles you need shocks, also your torsion bars have sagged for sure.

The wear is on the inside on the affected tires due to bad BJs way back when. I'm going to get an alignment check early next week to make sure it's still in spec from when i got it aligned last year.

If/when i do the TT (or possibly TF), i'll replace the T-bar adjuster (?).

Shocks will be done come mid/late spring...

Back