Mykey feature disappeared | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mykey feature disappeared

Post number 29 has been selected as best answered.

I was trying to find a way to reset the key code on the door.... in doing this... I have now somehow managed to set a max speed of 80 mph. I went back to the menu to find "my key" so I could adjust this and "my key" is no longer there. Any suggestions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the exact same problem. Exact!! Did you get any real answers other than dealer?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 6, 2019. You may not get a reply from him. I'm guessing that you are not the original owner?

Peter

I own a Ford Escape 2017 1.5 Turbo Eco Boost 4WD but I mistakenly activated mykey and now I'm restricted to a lot of function in the car. MyKey does not appear on my setting screen. What can I do manually to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated. SEMPER FI!!!
Welcome to the Forum Carlos. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. However, I don't see where anyone has posted a resolution to get the Mykey feature back.

Peter

I'm having the exact same problem. Exact!! Did you get any real answers other than dealer?
I have the exact same issue with my C-max. And my admin key now doesn't work at all. Had a locksmith get me 2 new fobs and program them, and now all 3 working keys function as mykeys and still no mykey in the settings. Information bar says 0 mykeys active, 2 admin keys programed but my speed and volume are limited and I can't do anything about it in the menu.

Hello, the vey same happened to me. I've just bought a second hand 2012 F-150 Lariat. There were no restrictions and I had access to the MyKey menu, after messing around with it, I activated the MyKey option and now I got a 80mp/h top speed restriction, plus the MyKey Menu disappeared. It sounds to me as an error from Ford.

Hello, the vey same happened to me. I've just bought a second hand 2012 F-150 Lariat. There were no restrictions and I had access to the MyKey menu, after messing around with it, I activated the MyKey option and now I got a 80mp/h top speed restriction, plus the MyKey Menu disappeared. It sounds to me as an error from Ford.
This is an Explorer forum but the settings may be the same as for the F-150. Do you also have an 'admin key'? One that wasn't programmed for the MyKey functions? If so, have you tried using it to see if your speed is still restricted?

Peter

This is an Explorer forum but the settings may be the same as for the F-150. Do you also have an 'admin key'? One that wasn't programmed for the MyKey functions? If so, have you tried using it to see if your speed is still restricted?

Peter

Peter
Hello Peter. Thank you. No, I don't have another key. But I have just called a locksmith that claims he can make a new duplicate for like $75USD programmed as the Admin Key. He will be here soon. I'll let you know how it went.

Hello Peter. Thank you. No, I don't have another key. But I have just called a locksmith that claims he can make a new duplicate for like $75USD programmed as the Admin Key. He will be here soon. I'll let you know how it went.
When you use the admin key, it would be interesting to see if the MyKey setting is displayed again. It probably disappeared because it 'saw' that the MyKey was being used so it hid the setting in order that changes could not be made to the settings.

Peter

Hello, my problem is finally SOLVED. It wasn't free, but it was cheap. Short story, I called a local locksmith who charged around $75USD for coming to my home, make a duplicate of my key and program it as an admin key.
Here are some take aways explaining the problem and solution:
1. I got only one key when I bought my used truck. At this point, I don't know if this was the admin key or not.
2. After messing around with the menus, I activated the MyKey option.
3. Activating the MyKey option limited my top speed to 80mph and the sound volume as well
4. Activating the MyKey option made the MyKey menu disappear.
5. Basically MyKey is a nice feature that will allow you to limit the key you lend to someone (to your son, perhaps) for extra safety. Obviously it is impossible to remove this restriction using the same key, which will make the MyKey feature pointless.
6. So, having only one key and activating the MyKey feature will limit your truck (speed, sound volume) and you won't be able to undo it.

7. I got a duplicate key, which my lock smith told me, was programmed as an admin key
8. I turned on the truck with the original key, still no MyKey menu
9. I turned on the truck with the new key (admin), the MyKey menu showed up!
10. Using the admin key, inside the MyKey menu, I was able to clear the MyKey feature (I do not remember the exact name of the option, but it is very self-explanatory)
11. After clearing the MyKey, I turned on the truck again with the original key and the MyKey menu showed up again

I hope this helps. Thank you all!

Okay, so that is what I thought happened. You originally had the admin key but then made it a MyKey. Doing that, the MyKey setting disappeared which makes sense in that the user could not go in and change the settings that were made. When the admin key was used, it allowed the settings to be displayed so that the user could then make changes as desired.
Thank you for reporting back and confirming my suspicions. :thumbsup:

Peter

How's it going? We have had our 2015 explorer limited for 2 years now and have some issues with it.
  • MyKey, the dumbest feature to ever exist has been enabled on our car for over a year now, we only got one key with the car when we bought it and i dont really want to spend 250 bucks on a new key. I downloaded Forscan and have played around with some of the settings but have yet to find a way to disable/ remove mykey. We do have keyless entry and remote start.
Any help or insight to any of these issues would be great. Thanks!

Re: MyKey

Usual advice is to have TWO (or more) unique keys (you'll need to purchase one or more and have it/them cut), then use Forscan to erase all keys and reprogram the two keys into the system

On one of the F150 Forums, it's been reported that it's possible, on certain Fords, to use Forscan to circumvent the usual approach and reset the MyKey status when only one key is available, a particularly tenuous situation, I might add.. See post #9 for specifics. It would be great if you try that procedure on your Explorer and report back as to how things turn out. My Key reset - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

How's it going? We have had our 2015 explorer limited for 2 years now and have some issues with it.
  • MyKey, the dumbest feature to ever exist has been enabled on our car for over a year now, we only got one key with the car when we bought it and i dont really want to spend 250 bucks on a new key. I downloaded Forscan and have played around with some of the settings but have yet to find a way to disable/ remove mykey. We do have keyless entry and remote start.
Any help or insight to any of these issues would be great. Thanks!
You will need a master key in order to see the Mykey settings. Since it sounds like the only key you have is a Mykey, the settings will be invisible to you.

Peter

Back