Can you reset MyKey with only one key?! HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you reset MyKey with only one key?! HELP!

Sonicstate

Reaction score
City, State
Prevost, QC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Last week, on my Explorer 2012, I activated the MyKey function

Last week, on my Explorer 2012, I activated the MyKey option without knowing what it was for. Since I only have one key (the other was lost by my wife several years ago), I was wondering if there was a simple way to remove the MyKey function without having the admin key?

I searched on Google, some seems to say that a locksmith could do the job? Others say that with an aftermarket key, bought on Amazon or eBay and cut and reprogrammed by the dealer could also work.

Please help me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everything I’ve seen requires the admin key to modify it.

I think you’re stuck. Either the dealer will have to do it or find a locksmith that can.

On the bright side, you’ll end up with a second spare key.

Welcome to the Forum Sonicstate.:wave:
You searched Google but I guess you didn't check your Owner's Manual.;)

Clear MyKey
To reset all MyKeys as admin keys do the following:
1. At the main menu screen select SETTINGS then MYKEY by pressing
OK or the right arrow key.
2. Press the down arrow key to get to CLEAR MYKEYS.
3. Hold OK until you see ALL MYKEYS CLEARED.

I'm hoping that the above will work even without having an actual Admin key. Please let us know. Thanks.

Peter

Don't worried, I tried to cleared all MyKeys...
But, technically, without the admin key, you should not be able to clear all MyKeys. It's defeated the purpose.

And, a new key, programmed by the dealer cost around 300$!!
Maybe an aftermarker at 30$ from eBay/Amazon should worked?!

On the bright side, you’ll end up with a second spare key.
If OP only has 1 key, then buys another key, how does he end up with a second spare key?

Having a second spare key would mean he would have to have 3 keys, a primary, a spare, and a second spare. Very confusing...

Second/spare or second (spare) is my guess.

If OP only has 1 key, then buys another key, how does he end up with a second spare key?

Having a second spare key would mean he would have to have 3 keys, a primary, a spare, and a second spare. Very confusing...

Needed a comma - “second, spare”.

Hope you’re no longer confused......

Your are sort of stuck with the dealer or a locksmith. I would buy the key from them also, that way they can warranty the work. Also I would ask them to clear all the keys associated with it, and just leave these two keys as primary/admin. In the future you could buy a third key and program it as a My Key if needed.

Needed a comma - “second, spare”.

Hope you’re no longer confused......
Let's eat kids.

or

Let's eat, kids.

This forum is the best for some of the most confusing comments and threads... Not sure what to make of it.

Looking for context and being charitable are always good first steps.

Back