• Register Today It's free!

MyKey Ignorance

jlittle2212

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
So, messing with the MyKey features I have screwed up.... I only have one key, so I got into the settings and somehow I have programmed my only key to my key. What am I going to have to do to delete the MyKey settings???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer trip.

It is my understanding and recent experience that the two keys that come with the vehicle are different in that, one key is the 'admin' key' which is used to enter the admin mode. This is the key I use. Be that as it may, you need to go to the dealer and get this key.

Why do you only have the one anyway? :confused: :salute:

How did you even program mykey with only ONE key? You need both I thought.

How did you even program mykey with only ONE key? You need both I thought.

I'd have to check again but, I believe you can set up your preferences with both keys but, to reset, you need to use the 'admin' key. :salute:

It is my understanding and recent experience that the two keys that come with the vehicle are different in that, one key is the 'admin' key' which is used to enter the admin mode. This is the key I use. Be that as it may, you need to go to the dealer and get this key.

Why do you only have the one anyway? :confused: :salute:
Both keys that come from the dealer are the same since they have not been programmed.

From the manual;
Any keys that have not been programmed are referred to as
administrator keys or admin keys. These can be used to:
• Create a MyKey.
• Program configurable MyKey settings.
• Clear all MyKey features.

Peter

I was afraid of a dealer trip... :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::navajo:

Any idea how much a key will cost me???

I was afraid of a dealer trip... :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::navajo:

Any idea how much a key will cost me???

I can't quote a price but, for a key, they ain't cheap. Expect to pay $100+ for one. :salute:

Was bought used.. Only had one key.

I would never buy a vehicle with only one key. The big question is...where is the other key and who has it. If it only had one key, the dealer should have supplied the second and reprogrammed both keys. Now someone else has a key to your vehicle. Not a good thing!

What Halwg said.

Peter

I would never buy a vehicle with only one key. The big question is...where is the other key and who has it. If it only had one key, the dealer should have supplied the second and reprogrammed both keys. Now someone else has a key to your vehicle. Not a good thing!

When I purchased my vehicle it had one key and they said they had two, but I made them give me a new key and when they did, since it already had 3 keys programmed to it and when they gave me the new one, now it had 4, I told them to delete the other two. I said I don't want keys to my vehicle out there. They did as I asked. So as of now, I only have two keys programmed.

If you have a MyKey equipped vehicle and you don't have ALL of the keys that are programmed to the vehicle (Check the settings menus) you can very easily lock yourself out of the MyKey system.

The Admin key is simply any key that hasn't been programmed yet - it will prevent you from setting the last key as a MyKey. Of course there's no way for the truck to know whether or not you actually have that key - it just knows how many are programmed into the ECM. So when buying a used vehicle, always check that system.

Back