Mysterious coolant leak. Experts needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious coolant leak. Experts needed.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to read this post. My X is leaking coolant once again. First it was the radiator and one of the hoses, they were replaced along with the thermostat about a month ago. A new leak started a few days ago, it seems to be coming from the drivers side, right below the water pump but not from it. It's leaking pretty bad and I plan on taking it to the shop on Monday but till then I wanted to know if anyone on here has dealt with this before. So far there has been no overheating. Thanks for any info.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_U6hB...ch?v=a_U6hBqzipA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not from the heater core is it?

I'm not sure, I thought it was coming from the water pump weep hole at first but I can't find it anywhere.

i had similar issue it looked like slightly to the drivers side of the water pump but i just bought all new hoses, clamps, water pump, t stat, and coolant for under a hundred bucks.. put everything in and thankfully no more leaks... only other thing i could think of is the timing chain cover could be leaking which is a pain to get off since it is connected to the oil pan

Did you check the freeze plugs?

I took it to the shop where I get all my work done. The mechanic told me its definitely coming from the timing chain cover. Says I should have the timing chain assembly changed while he's in there too especially since my truck has over 170k on it. He told me he'd charge me a set price of $550. Is this a good price? He also said if I just get the gasket fixed to stop the leak the price would only drop by $50 so I think I'm gonna get the chain/tensioners replaced. :thumbsup:

I took it to the shop where I get all my work done. The mechanic told me its definitely coming from the timing chain cover. Says I should have the timing chain assembly changed while he's in there too especially since my truck has over 170k on it. He told me he'd charge me a set price of $550. Is this a good price? He also said if I just get the gasket fixed to stop the leak the price would only drop by $50 so I think I'm gonna get the chain/tensioners replaced. :thumbsup:

If I could have my timing chain changed for that price I would be all over it. My TDI runs $1000 for a cheap job and for someone that knows what they are doing with the VW's it is around $1400.

If I could have my timing chain changed for that price I would be all over it. My TDI runs $1000 for a cheap job and for someone that knows what they are doing with the VW's it is around $1400.

I've know the guy since before he opened his shop so he gives me good prices. I didn't explain that I thought it was the timing chain cover leaking and he confirmed it. He knows his stuff. I'll be happy when my X doesn't leak anything at all anymore :D

Back