• Register Today It's free!

mystery switch

rednecksoldier

Reaction score
City, State
Loganville, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
i have a 2000 explorer xls and there is a switch under the dash by the fuse panel i have no idea what it does! does anyone know what this switch is?
newex5007.jpg

newex5003-1.jpg

newex5005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody here would know EXACTLY what it is, as that is not an OEM switch.

But my guess is, it's a kill switch/starter disable....

Flip the switch, and see if you can start the X.

Ryan

Could it be for aftermarket fog lights? Most XLS did not come from factory with fog lights.

It could be a number of things many that might not even be installed anymore, but it is very commonly used as a kill switch as Ryan stated b4. I had a killswitch similar to that in a previous vehicle b4 I bought it. The only way to know is to play w it. Flip it and try to start the vehicle, if it's not a kill then who knows.

My best guess would be----valet switch for an aftermarket alarm.

i had an oem switch like that in my old car and it was actually a manual on/off switch for the radiator fan... pretty weird, but i guess it makes sense...

it won't let me edit my last post... i had a non oem switch***

i turned it on and it still starts and i have had the ex since it was brand new and its always been there thats the thing i bought it brand new off the lot

flick it on and see if you hear anything different...

fog lights where stock on this xls and it has the button to the right of the radio for that

It's a bomb run!!!!

Can you follow the wires?

Use a volt meter to see if those wires have power running to them?

well im pretty sure it is for some kind of alarm cause when i flip it on and try to start the car the horn starts honking and the lights start flashing

its a remote start switch

should have the button on your key chain, its there so that if you disconnect the battery, and reconnect the battery, your truck wont start up on its on. its weird, but i have the exact same thing on my 96 X. Try switching it off, and using your remote start, if you dont have remote start, keep it on and disconnect your battery, your X should irratically start, and shut off, start, and shut off, etc.

its a remote start switch

That would be my bet. I have one on my Oldsmobile and there is a warning sticker under the hood about it starting by itself if the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

When I bought my 2004 Taurus new, it had a strange box under the dash- the dealer forgot to uninstall the temporary alarm they installed on the new cars to disable the starters, as teh thieves in the area had ways to bypass the PATS system... (It came from a Detroit Dealer) :D

idk i lost the key fob thing a long time ago im gonna look for it tho im interested in the remote start that stuff is cool i have it on my 91 ex but its aftermarket

Your Explorer would be aftermarket too. Look for a sticker under the hood, probably on the radiator support. That might give you a manufacture name so you could get a replacement.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

final answer

your wife installed a gps logger to keep tabs on you

Back