• Register Today It's free!

Nav Updates - how to

MattG43

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
I have a 2014 Explorer Limited with Nav. Tonight, I updated the Sync to the latest version. While doing that, I noticed under the software section it is saying there is a Navigation update as well.

Logging into my account on the Ford Owner site doesn't seem to mention it. A google search brings me to a page that has them for $150. However, the screen in the car says 'unlimitted'.

Which is it, and if it is free, where do I get it?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SD navigation cards have only been free in the past if they had to be changed because of an MFT version update. Is your SD card A5? There is a new A6 card out but you have to buy it. A6 may be the standard card in the 2016 models but we'll have to wait and see. You can not download navigation updates.

Peter

Hi MattG43,

Peter is correct. If you would like to purchase an A6 SD card, you can do so via our provider, HERE, at www.navigation.com. The "unlimited" status that you see under software licenses is referring to having unlimited use of the navigation feature. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Rebecca

Thanks for the info.

I'll hold off a couple years. Not nearly worth $150 when the one I have now is not that old.

Just my knee-jerk reaction but I get lifetime map updates FREE on a $100 Garmin but not on a $50k vehicle? Doesn't make me happy. I won't be upgrading the maps.

Welcome to the Forum JE.:wavey:
Updates on both systems are done in different ways. Garmin uses software downloads whereas the navigation system in the Explorer runs off an SD card.
Perhaps if Ford ever set the system up to operate on downloads, it may also be free. :dunno:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum JE.:wavey:

Thanks! Lots of great info here! I'm enjoying the forum.

Updates on both systems are done in different ways. Garmin uses software downloads whereas the navigation system in the Explorer runs off an SD card.
Perhaps if Ford ever set the system up to operate on downloads, it may also be free. :dunno:

Peter

USB SD card readers are cheap, even included on many computers now, and SD cards are cheap. I'm sure it could be updated at home with a download if they wanted to make that possible.

Since the SD card reader can be used with music I can't imagine there's anything special about it.

Not a big deal. I'll just continue to use the map or Garmin app on my phone since those get updated frequently.

Back