Need a new sub, have a new sub, do i need a new amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a new sub, have a new sub, do i need a new amp?

Doubt Incarnate

Reaction score
City, State
"Franktucky", Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
title says it all basicaly. my subwoofer is "farting" at me, i have a few in the 8" range, i'd love to swap one in but my experiance in aftermarket to factory compatability has never been good.

Can i swap in one of my kicker aftermarket subs with the factory amp? i know blah blah it'll fit physicaly, but will it actually function. otherwise the time and expense of swapping to a complete fool-proof aftermarket setup will just disdain me and i'll just settle with the fart noise.

thanks in advance. and i did a search, "factory amp aftermarket subwoofer", it was stingy with its help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

title says it all basicaly. my subwoofer is "farting" at me, i have a few in the 8" range, i'd love to swap one in but my experiance in aftermarket to factory compatability has never been good.

Can i swap in one of my kicker aftermarket subs with the factory amp? i know blah blah it'll fit physicaly, but will it actually function. otherwise the time and expense of swapping to a complete fool-proof aftermarket setup will just disdain me and i'll just settle with the fart noise.

thanks in advance. and i did a search, "factory amp aftermarket subwoofer", it was stingy with its help...

I think it'll work if its a 4ohm svc sub

thanx i'll give it a shot thursday, i'll post the results.

I installed a Kicker 8" Solobaric today. 4ohm SVC, works great, even with a factory amp it seems to bump harder, or maybe its more defined in its bumps. all i know is it kicks a** and isnt farting. almost a straight bolt in, Just needed to enlarge the hole slightly, and drill holes since they were off a little. The new speaker about 1mm taller from bottom the coil to the bottom of the mount, but the coil isnt rattling on the plastic enclosure at all, its actually under slight pressure so i'm not expecting it to move at all. I mounted the sub with 4 original screws, then i used 4 longer ones with washers to mount the spacer/grille/foam ring. oh yeah, and the new subs magnet is way bigger so i just discarded the accoustic filler they had in the enclosure.

If anyone has trouble finding out how to get in to do the job:

You need a T-50 torx on a good sized ratchet to remove the upper passenger seat belt mount. take the hanger/hook off from above the passenger door, for some reason an SAE (7/32?) socket worked here instead of metric. DO NOT REMOVE THE COVER PANEL! you are going to break the tabs, and maybe make a rattle. i have a feeling it was put in last after the final 8(7mm) bolts for the sub are installed and was never meant to be removed. pop the rearmost (under the lift gate when its closed) trim up on the passenger side so you can pull the side panel out and the carpet up, there are 2 screwsunder the carpet and matting. One about 6" from the back, the other is about 6" from the back of the rear seat (lay it down). remove those screws and gently pop out the plastic plugs around the perimiter of the interior panel, and the 3 under the window. you should be able to wrestle the panel enought to get room to unplug the amp, then remove the 4 8mm bolts holding the enclosure in. 2 are in the rear passenger corner, top and bottom. one is way on the front behind the passenger door. and number 4 was in the middle, right next to the amp. all said and done, lift it off its molded in hooks and pull it out from the back. Remove the 10mm bolt from the backside of the enclosure, then the 8 7mm bolts from the front and your old sub will come out. if you want to keep the old protective grill/ring you can use a tiny flatblade screwdriver or knife to pop it out, you should notice the tabs around the mount.

I just replaced my sub last week with an 8" JL Audio on the recommendation of a member here. It was the EXACT same installed height, but new holes needed to be drilled as they didn't quite align. I am very, very impressed with this sub and the stock amp. Such clean sounds...and it doesn't hit so hard it's annoying and obnoxious. (My age is showing) So if you want a very clean bass that won't rattle the windows unless you want it too, then I highly recommend the JL Audio.

yeah, just like the picture. the only real reason i went with that one was it was leftover from another car and was already here. not exactly free since i paid for it years ago, but i didnt have to fork out anymore $$$.

I just replaced my sub last week with an 8" JL Audio on the recommendation of a member here. It was the EXACT same installed height, but new holes needed to be drilled as they didn't quite align. I am very, very impressed with this sub and the stock amp. Such clean sounds...and it doesn't hit so hard it's annoying and obnoxious. (My age is showing) So if you want a very clean bass that won't rattle the windows unless you want it too, then I highly recommend the JL Audio.

Sounds familiar :D

Back