Need advice on building a mini bike... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on building a mini bike...

Silverblade

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SOHC
well after doing about 10 sterling silver rings my metal teacher told me to do something else and to think big....immedietely i thought of a go kart but without the steering components already built(im not going near that one:confused: ) im not going to get far so as im searching for homemade go karts I come across a site with some mini bikes too. Well i already have 5 motorbikes..well 2 mini bikes so that didnt innterest me too much until i saw this one they had. Its a chopper!! but its a mini bike chopper!! So after looking at the pic for a half an hour and deciding EXACTLY how im going to do it in my head i come up with the brilliant idea that if i use the kingpin(the part that allows me to steer) off of my old BMX as well as the handle bars(but modified ofcourse) and the same forks(extended) I will get myself 1 or 2 steps ahead. so then I look down and see the part where it splits off to go around teh back tire and again think, i have half a BMX left i might as well use that but heat it up and widen it. so with the front and half the back i look at the rest of what is left. I need to extend that main long bar from the fork to teh seat(im going to cut up like 2 or 3 dollys(moving things that are red..)), I need to make the bottom for it(that will be from cutting up my old scooter(the semi offroad ones with bike tires not those stupid silver ones wiht rollerblade wheels) and again i will use dolly parts to make the 2 straight bars where the radiator woudl be mounted if it were a real chopper. I dont know if u guys are following me it is late and i cant get this out of my mind. so that will be the basic frame made from old parts and just arc welded together. I will take a plate for the engine to rest on and I bet my teacher that I can build it by the end of the semester and if i win he is giving me one of the engines. for now i will use the left brake lever for the front brakes(leave them on) and the right brake lever for throttle(not worrying about it for now until it is done then i can adjust it all) I will fab up a brake pedal foot lever from my mini bike for the back brakes and just buy the back tire/rim/chain. I think i covered most of it in this long ass post. So what i am asking is:
What am i missing from the big picture?
What do YOU! suggest that i do for certain parts of this project?
What color i shoudl paint it? lol im thinking hemi orange.
and finally what advice can you offer me?

PS:NEW AND BETTER SEAT WILL BE ADDED AS WELL AS A BACK REST LIKE ON THE HIGHWAY CRUISER MOTORCYCLES

PPS:CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE SHRINK THOSE TO ABOUT 50%? please please please and thankyou's

OK this is the more complex chopper

Pretty

Dead Link Removed :)

Basic-er(??) chopper that i will show my teach

Dead Link Removed

Back