need advice on front shocks

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi guys,
as you all might know, i just went through a steering assembly . luckily it was covered under the recall program. i shall get my vehicle on Tuesday..
past 2 weeks i have been driving many cars and i think i have front blown struts.. but then i am not 100% sure and there is no refund policy if i buy them.
so i have put all new suspension components except for struts and 1 right low arm bushing (some cracks but still intact). the car rides perfectly on plain roads and humps and bumps. there is absolutely no noise at all.
However when the car travels on the road in the image above, i can hear loud "dukk dukk dukk" noise coming from both front upper part of the car. its as if the suspension is bottoming out or something... specially that puddle, the car hits it very very hard almost exaggerating the impact....

now i know some car suspension are tuned that way... for example mini cooper, or my old honda civic with lowered springs but because this is my first ford, i am not sure if this is a fault or just the way Ford explorer is......

BTW there is no leak or vibration or excess movement or anything of that sort. also like i said on a hump, there is no noise at all...
20180227_152649.jpg

20180227_152654.jpg

Very hard to tell just from a description of your shocks are bad. It’s really a good thing to have checked by a mechanic.

Random aside, where are you in the Philippines? My wife is originally from there and I’ve been to Cebu, Palawan, and Bohol...the roads are bumpy enough in several places I’ve visited that I’d have a hard time telling if my suspension was worn.

Hi, I am in Laguna. Yes the roads here are pretty bad. I have driven Toyota 4runner , pejero , Honda Civic 2018 and the new Ford everest , they don't make that sort of noise but also that they all were new cars... also with 17" rims ...

Maybe my shocks are weak but Def. Not blown... but I am not sure really ..

Back