Need Advice On Gas Gauge Repair

MontanaRon

Reaction score
City, State
Missoula, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi all.

New old fart joined today. I'm already lost! Don't know if this is posting correctly or not. It's not that I'm not technically savvy, it's that since hitting my head in 2003 it's hard for me to follow directions. Someone please let me know if this posts. But then how would I know if someone replied? Does it go to my email? Help!

Anyway, trying to find out how to fix my gas gauge. I have a 2005 Explorer with 97,000+ miles. Rides great, no major damage and no repairs as of yet. Something tells me I shouldn't have said that! It's red with silver trim and a grey interior. Rides nice and smooth, great for my damaged spine...I feel everything! New set of tires, and the engine has a lot of power that I rarely get to unleash. Might have a transmission problem starting to show but keep your fingers crossed.

My gauge stopped working right when I let my gas drop to a low level and then I filled the truck up. It's not that the gauge isn't working, it is, just not correctly. Like its slow to respond. When I first filled up it showed 1/4 tank. But as I drove, it gradually increased and now reads 3/4 full. It still should read full as I only put about 10 miles on since filing.

I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't drop the tank, I can't open the dash, and I can't get into strange positions due to my spine problems. I've been trying to hit as many bumps and potholes I could. That's how it gradually got better. Only thing I can figure is the float got into some gunk from being extremely low, but would a gas treatment product clean it up?

I'll take any suggestions and hope I've done this correctly. :salute:

Ron K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all.

New old fart joined today. I'm already lost! Don't know if this is posting correctly or not. It's not that I'm not technically savvy, it's that since hitting my head in 2003 it's hard for me to follow directions. Someone please let me know if this posts. But then how would I know if someone replied? Does it go to my email? Help!

Anyway, trying to find out how to fix my gas gauge. I have a 2005 Explorer with 97,000+ miles. Rides great, no major damage and no repairs as of yet. Something tells me I shouldn't have said that! It's red with silver trim and a grey interior. Rides nice and smooth, great for my damaged spine...I feel everything! New set of tires, and the engine has a lot of power that I rarely get to unleash. Might have a transmission problem starting to show but keep your fingers crossed.

My gauge stopped working right when I let my gas drop to a low level and then I filled the truck up. It's not that the gauge isn't working, it is, just not correctly. Like its slow to respond. When I first filled up it showed 1/4 tank. But as I drove, it gradually increased and now reads 3/4 full. It still should read full as I only put about 10 miles on since filing.

I'm not mechanically inclined so I can't drop the tank, I can't open the dash, and I can't get into strange positions due to my spine problems. I've been trying to hit as many bumps and potholes I could. That's how it gradually got better. Only thing I can figure is the float got into some gunk from being extremely low, but would a gas treatment product clean it up?

I'll take any suggestions and hope I've done this correctly. :salute:

Ron K.
Welcome to the Forum MontanaRon.:wavey:
Since you are seeking some assistance with your 2005 Explorer, I'll move your post to the Stock 2002 - 2005 Forum; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101
I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. Good luck.

Peter

My 04 gauge acted like that after the fuel pump was replaced.
I got some Tecron Injector cleaner and put in the tank. It still works kinda slow but it does go to full now.
I know what it is like not to be able not to work on my vehicles anymore.

My problem doesn't match those described.

*****UPDATE*****

Gauge seems to be working correctly now, but I'm still not going to rely on it yet. After a few days of driving around, the gauge came up all the way and looks like it is indicating the lowering gas level correctly. I am still monitoring the mileage, I know I get about 350 miles per tank so will refill when I hit 300 miles. And then I'll evaluate the gauge again. Won't rely on it again until several experiments of this type have been performed.

I will keep you posted.

And have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Hi Ron,

I had a similar problem with my 2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 a couple of times. It happened after I let my fuel level get very low before refueling. That was the common factor in the two times it happened.

After filling the gas tank, the gauge took an extended time to finally reach full. After reaching full, it worked normally for that tankful and for subsequent refuelings. I looked online and found a TSB from Ford regarding diagnosing a problem with the fuel gauge.

The TSB describes two modes of operation for the fuel gauge on how it obtains data. One mode is "Slosh Mode". It takes 55 minutes of the ignition key being in the run position for the gauge to move from E to F. Apparently, letting the fuel level get so low put the fuel gauge into "Slosh Mode". I have pasted a link to the TSB below. The first page describes "Slosh Mode" in detail. You will note in the TSB that "Slosh Mode" was reduced from 55 minutes to 17 minutes in vehicles built after 12/22/2004.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3555/tsb05-21-03.pdf

I hope this information helps.

great TSB link

Leo, thanks for posting that link to a very informative TSB. Ron, even if adding Techron fuel injector cleaner to your tank doesn't help your fuel gauge issue it will improve your injectors. I've used Techron for more than 30 years and won't use any other kind. Welcom to the forum!

Back