Need Antenna help!!! Power to regular... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Antenna help!!! Power to regular...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Alright guys, I am doing a lot of work to my truck recently, mainly because of the nice weather. I am to the power antenna, it has never worked since I have owned the truck, When I got it I pulled the antenna up as far as it would go, and then I put a piece of gorilla tape at the base to keep it up. Now I know I can buy a replacement mast, and it will work fine again, but I have gotten really poor reception with both factory radio, and my aftermarket Alpine radio. So I just want to replace the power antenna for a new/used normal solid mast antenna from an Explorer in the junkyard.

So I figured it couldn't be that hard, right? wrong, I went to the junk yard to try and get one, and I could not remove it... QUESTIONS START HEREI tried for an hour before I got mad and just gave up, so how do these darn things come out?!?!?! Is there any difference between the removal of the power, and normal solid ones? or any other mods I need to do? I know a poor ground can also lead to poor reception, so how does these things ground? looking to go back out to the yard some time next week, so I got time to learn.

thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I happen to have a fender with power antenna in my shed , give me a few and I will post pics so you can see what you are dealing with, you gotta take the fender off or almost all the way off

I happen to have a fender with power antenna in my shed , give me a few and I will post pics so you can see what you are dealing with, you gotta take the fender off or almost all the way off

awesome!!! I sort of figured this, but I was hoping it wasn't true. but I want it to be done right, so i don't mind the extra work.

This one may be a little different from yours , I have seen a few different setups in the second gen explorers ,also I'm missing a bracket , but I can tell you its best to remove the fender

Attachments

• IMG_20140402_182309_236.jpg
    IMG_20140402_182309_236.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 135

OK, it makes more sense now, I really couldn't see anything when I was at the yard, so I was just pulling, and guessing.

Back