• Register Today It's free!

need fast answer

daddy_ja

Reaction score
City, State
glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer EB
can an 8 lug d44 be changed to a 5 x5.5? New axle shafts? im looking at buying a D44, but it has 8 lug and i would like to run 5x5.5 and convert my 8.8 to 5x5.5. what do i do? btw, it's going to be cut down 6", so i will need new shafts anyway, correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can covert anything. It just takes money. I would leave the 44 Full width and space out the 8.8 since you are going to need an adapter to change to 5 on 5.5 anyway.

svande8952 said:
You can covert anything. It just takes money. I would leave the 44 Full width and space out the 8.8 since you are going to need an adapter to change to 5 on 5.5 anyway.
are your full width? got any pics?

Hmm, to convert the D44........'70s Chevy flat top knuckles, small bearing spindles, caliper brackets and outer stub shafts, Ford 5 lug hub/rotor assembly, lockouts, bearings for the spindles.

I would grab a matching 8lug rear and be done with it. :D

Robb said:
Hmm, to convert the D44........'70s Chevy flat top knuckles, small bearing spindles, caliper brackets and outer stub shafts, Ford 5 lug hub/rotor assembly, lockouts, bearings for the spindles.

I would grab a matching 8lug rear and be done with it. :D

that requires more money though!! lol

daddy_ja said:
are your full width? got any pics?
Check my avatar.

svande8952 said:
Check my avatar.

how much lift are you running, any rubbing issues

10 inches, hence-no rubbing w/ 35s There is room for 37s even w/o cutting

aye, i cant decide if i should get this thing or not. it's a 76 D44 full width with 8 lug freshly rebulit. might be able to get it for $300-$400

There are plenty of D44s with 5 on 5.5 out there. I found a few in Phoenix, just wait to get one of those if you don't want the 8 lug.

svande8952 said:
There are plenty of D44s with 5 on 5.5 out there. I found a few in Phoenix, just wait to get one of those if you don't want the 8 lug.

everywhere i have found in town wants like $900 for them

someone else just said i can put 1/2 ton rotors on it and that will change the pattern, sound right???

Back